• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P4| A2 only

Reaction score
With aqueous solution containing halogens > halogens are always released at anode unless it is very dilute in which case you will obtain Oxygen. standard electrode potential value does not support this because there is something known as 'over voltage efect(which i think is out of syllabus scope)' so its better to remember that halogens are discharged at anode in most case(exception: solution is highy dilute)
oooo i see! thanks!! (and also except fluorine! ;) )

Reaction score
BOTH CAN BE USED I SEARCHED..........
CONC, HCL >80 C OR WITH aq OH.> 80 c as mntiond in ms
no its either one of them
the following is from the mark scheme...
acid/H+/HCl etc. or alkali/OH–/NaOH NOT conc H2SO4 or any HNO3 [1]
heat/boil/reflux if temp given >90°C

Reaction score
hw does the thermel stability of grp 2 nitrates and carbonates vary down the group?

Reaction score
hw does the thermel stability of grp 2 nitrates and carbonates vary down the group?
As we go down the grp, the thermal stability INCEASES cuz the size of the cation increases (anion size remains the same) so the degree of polarisation decreases..distortion of anion cloud decreases and therefore stability increases, i.e. more temp. is needed to break it up...

Reaction score
hey have you guys gone through the application booklet? Has it got everything we need to know for section B or is it like too detailed and irrelevant?

Reaction score
hey have you guys gone through the application booklet? Has it got everything we need to know for section B or is it like too detailed and irrelevant?
it has everything related to section B,the notes are too detailed ,just fine

Reaction score
electrode potentials make no sense.. anyone got notes? I dont get what happens to the minus signs... sometimes they use them.. sometimes they dont -_-

Reaction score
oct nov 10 43 question 5 can anyone explain it? i am getting negative E knots but in the marking scheme they are all positive?

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w11_qp_41.pdf

question number 2 ) a) i) what is the order with respect to [H+] ??

COME ON IT ISNT HARD IM JUST CONFUSED PLEASE HELP ME!!
okay, got it.. so to find the order with respect to [H+] -- compare experiment 1 and 2 because in experiment 1 and 3, [H+] and [CH3OH] remains the same while [CH3CHO] changes.

so [CH3CHO] goes from 0.2 to 0.25 its an increase by a factor of 1.25 (0.25/0.2)
What factor does [H+] increase by? also 1.25 (1.25/1).. hence the order is 1

Reaction score
okay, got it.. so to find the order with respect to [H+] -- compare experiment 1 and 2 because in experiment 1 and 3, [H+] and [CH3OH] remains the same while [CH3CHO] changes.

so [CH3CHO] goes from 0.2 to 0.25 its an increase by a factor of 1.25 (0.25/0.2)

what are you talking about? in 1 and 3 [H+] doesnt even change?
how do you find out its 1 like that?

Reaction score

oh crap you're right.. I just looked at it again, there aren't any experiments where the other two concentrations are constant... maybe they round up? I donno.. sorry