• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: MCQs!

Reaction score
AOA! :)
I need help with this MCQ.
When an animal fat is boiled with aqueous sodium hydroxide, a soap and glycerol are formed. This reaction is an example of
A Esterification
B Fermentation
C Hydrolysis
D Polymerisation

What is the correct option and why? I'm sure that this is neither esterification nor fermentation but the last two options confuse me.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Chemistry: Macromolecules

Waalaikumassalam!! :)

It's C....alkaline hydrolysis of fats give the produccts stated :)

Reaction score

Another MCQ though it's not related to macromolecules:
A student carries out 3 tests on a gas X
1. Damp red litmus paper: stays red
2. Aqueous bromine: stays brown
3. Lighted splint: gas burns
Which gas is X ?
A Ammonia
B Ethene
C Methane
D Oxygen

Again, I'm very sure that X ain't ammonia or ethene. But I don't know whether it's methane or oxygen :?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

Assalamoalaikum!!

i think it's D...cuz of the result in test 3...but i'm nt sure...so ppl correct me if im wrong! :)

Reaction score

I also think it's D because oxygen relights a glowing splint but then methane is a fuel and could also do that :S Ethene and Ammonia are out of the question because ethene would decolourise bromine and ammonia would turn the litmus paper blue.

Reaction score

Waalaikumassalam!

Actually, I think C would be the answer since a glowing splint would have been used rather than a lighted one for oxygen. Also, I'm fairly sure oxygen can't burn on its own. I'm not so sure, but that's what I think..

Well, this question is apparently from June 2004 (Q38) and the marking scheme says it's C.

Reaction score

Oh I think I got it. Thank you very much leosco1995 :)
But what exactly is the difference between a lighted splint and a glowing splint?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

For the first MCQ.. it's saponification (hydrolysis of fats).. and the products of saponification are fatty acids; and three OH alcohol gropus, i.e, Glycerol! So its C!

and the second MCQ would definitely be "Methane".. as it will surely burn in a lighted splint!!
Who says that oxygen itself burns in a lighted splint? :ugeek:

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

abcde said:
Oh I think I got it. Thank you very much leosco1995 :)
But what exactly is the difference between a lighted splint and a glowing splint?

"A burning splint has a visible flame at the end while a glowing splint has a glowing ember at its end - (leosco1995)"

Oxygen only rekindles the splint, that is, it brightens its light! The splint would become more intense, not that the gas would burn in it.

Reaction score

So Nibz, soap actually consists of fatty acids?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
^ Yes (in a way). The main constituents of soap are Salts of the component fatty acids!

Reaction score

abcde said:
It's very common how these things get muddled up. The test for oxygen is that it relights a glowing splint, while hyrdogen produces a 'pop' sound on a lighted splint. If you write "hydrogen produces a 'pop' sound on a glowing splint" you'll get the answer wrong! :p A burning splint has a visible flame at the end while a glowing splint has a glowing ember at its end.

Reaction score
I also want to ask why is the displacement of water the first choice for collecting gases? I mean why is a gas's solubility in water considered before its relative density to air?

Reaction score
can pls help me to solve this question ?? paper 9701/1/0/n/02... thx... i stared at dat question... dunno hw 2 start... HELP!!

Reaction score
bcoz there is a high possibility that gas can escape if it is collcted in gas jar . but if the gas aint soluble in water and is a lighter gas it can be collected without impurities by over water delivery .. and gasses like ammonia highly soluble in water method of downward delivery is used as it is a lighter gas and the heavier gases are collected by upward displacement of air ...
(heavier and lighter gases are stated so bcoz of being heavier or lighter than air)

Reaction score
joelynn said:
can pls help me to solve this question ?? paper 9701/1/0/n/02... thx... i stared at dat question... dunno hw 2 start... HELP!!
can you please post the link

Reaction score
insomniac said:
joelynn said:
can you please post the link

I would have.. But I don't get this (9701/1/0/n/02)... Apart from 9701...