• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemguide NOT WORKING!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm unable to open Chemguide (no data is received from the server) ... am I the only one suffering from this? Does anyone have any idea whether it'll work again or not? I'm taking A2 in Oct/Nov and won't be able to prepare (which I just started doing) without that website, since I've got no teacher.
Do you know any other websites that will help me in the meantime? I'll be pretty grateful for you help.

Reaction score
Hey :)

I've made a check on the server chemguide is running on and found out that the server has failed due to some equipment failure.
So anyway, the site hosting chemguide has said that all websites should recover fully by Tuesday ( 11th August)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that chemguide will come back online soon cause I too haven't finished my revision ><
Good luck :)

Cheers,
Rhay

Reaction score
Hey :)

I've made a check on the server chemguide is running on and found out that the server has failed due to some equipment failure.
So anyway, the site hosting chemguide has said that all websites should recover fully by Tuesday ( 11th August)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that chemguide will come back online soon cause I too haven't finished my revision ><
Good luck :)

Cheers,
Rhay
Thank you... I'm more reassured now! I really hope it'll be back by 11th....
Good luck to you too!

Reaction score
You are not the only one getting this error. Site has some problem with its hosting service. I emailed Jim Clark and he says it should work by Tuesday.

Reaction score
You are not the only one getting this error. Site has some problem with its hosting service. I emailed Jim Clark and he says it should work by Tuesday.

Could you please let me have Jim Clark's email address? I would like to contact him, but the website is still down and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Reaction score
Could you please let me have Jim Clark's email address? I would like to contact him, but the website is still down and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.
I can give u but I will suggest u not to ask him again..he is already too much troubled regarding his host website ..Following is his reply he sent me today:

The latest from the hosting company (posted 36 hours ago) is that sites should be up by the end of today (UK time). I wouldn't rely on that, because their last estimate at the beginning of the problem was wildly optimistic - but I shall be disappointed if it isn't up sometime this weekend. If you look at their emergency site at www.pobox.co.uk you will know as much as I do.

I shall actually shift Chemguide to a new host over the next few weeks, but not because of this problem. The host company is ceasing trading at the end of this year - something I regret because I have been with them since the beginnings of Chemguide 15+ years ago without any technical problems whatsoever.

I have never actually moved to a new host before, but from what I have read it is a stressful thing to do. Doing it when you are already totally stressed out is not a good plan! Chemguide and Chemguideforcie run to a total of over 1100 pages with all their associated diagrams, and that would all have to be checked after a move. You also, I think, need the help of your old host to change the internet addresses which point what you type into your browser to the actual computer hosting the site. They are currently run off their feet (their last update was posted at 23.19 on Thursday - and I assume that was at the end of a full day working on it), and making the changes accurately is essential, and if I were them, I simply wouldn't want to be bothered at the moment!

All the best

Jim Clark

Reaction score
I can give u but I will suggest u not to ask him again..he is already too much troubled regarding his host website ..Following is his reply he sent me today:

The latest from the hosting company (posted 36 hours ago) is that sites should be up by the end of today (UK time). I wouldn't rely on that, because their last estimate at the beginning of the problem was wildly optimistic - but I shall be disappointed if it isn't up sometime this weekend. If you look at their emergency site at www.pobox.co.uk you will know as much as I do.

I shall actually shift Chemguide to a new host over the next few weeks, but not because of this problem. The host company is ceasing trading at the end of this year - something I regret because I have been with them since the beginnings of Chemguide 15+ years ago without any technical problems whatsoever.

I have never actually moved to a new host before, but from what I have read it is a stressful thing to do. Doing it when you are already totally stressed out is not a good plan! Chemguide and Chemguideforcie run to a total of over 1100 pages with all their associated diagrams, and that would all have to be checked after a move. You also, I think, need the help of your old host to change the internet addresses which point what you type into your browser to the actual computer hosting the site. They are currently run off their feet (their last update was posted at 23.19 on Thursday - and I assume that was at the end of a full day working on it), and making the changes accurately is essential, and if I were them, I simply wouldn't want to be bothered at the moment!

All the best

Jim Clark

Thanks a lot! I'll take your advice and avoid bothering him with that again, but thanks for the link - at least I can stay updated on this.

Reaction score

All the best

Jim Clark

Sorry to bother you again, but I'm afraid I'll need to contact Jim Clark and hope it's okay - POBOX recently updated it's home page, saying that website access had been restored, but I still can't access chemguide. chemguide for CIE is already back online, so I'm hoping nothing went wrong. I tried contacting POBOX, but I still have no response from them. Could you please let me have his email address?

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again, but I'm afraid I'll need to contact Jim Clark and hope it's okay - POBOX recently updated it's home page, saying that website access had been restored, but I still can't access chemguide. chemguide for CIE is already back online, so I'm hoping nothing went wrong. I tried contacting POBOX, but I still have no response from them. Could you please let me have his email address?

OMG..I'm not a bit bothered..I would have already given u...but it was just something like..I forgot. Here is his email:
[email protected]

Which is your board? and from where are u taking exams?

Reaction score
OMG..I'm not a bit bothered..I would have already given u...but it was just something like..I forgot. Here is his email:
[email protected]

Which is your board? and from where are u taking exams?

Okay, that's fine! Thanks, you've been really helpful. I'm taking CIE exams, but most of the pages on the chemguide for CIE have links to the actual chemguide website, so it's not that much use on it's own. I'm taking my exams in Mauritius.

Reaction score
Okay, that's fine! Thanks, you've been really helpful. I'm taking CIE exams, but most of the pages on the chemguide for CIE have links to the actual chemguide website, so it's not that much use on it's own. I'm taking my exams in Mauritius.
you are right..I'm facing the same same problem. Chemguideforcie opens but further pages are still a problem