• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem P6

Reaction score
Hi,

1)Describe a practical method for investigating the speed of a reaction involving gas evolution.

Can we say that for example we connect 2 apparatus with gas cylinders and add the catalsyt or w/e variable is changing then comparing the volume of gas produced using the gas syringe. Plot and compare on a graph or just see which one has a higher initial rate is the one which has a higher rate of reaction.

2) Describe the application of the above factors to the dangers of explosive combustion with fine powders. (E.g Flour mills and gasses E.g mines)

Someone explain for me number 2 and tell me if my explanation for number 1 works.

Thanks.

Reaction score
the first is ok but
use two flask and two syringe and check the time taken for each to produce a volume of gas (write any).
the compare them

about the second one
combustion is the burning of a substance in the present of oxygen and substances that we use in the
reaction may cause this.

can u post the link to the question so i can explain more clearly :)

Reaction score
haochen said:
the first is ok but
use two flask and two syringe and check the time taken for each to produce a volume of gas (write any).
the compare them

about the second one
combustion is the burning of a substance in the present of oxygen and substances that we use in the
reaction may cause this.

can u post the link to the question so i can explain more clearly :)

in the second one...wont it be explosive because of the increased surface area of the powder particles?

Reaction score
Its not a question, it's in the syllabus.

Also for first one, you can't predict volume of gas because both will be equal, but initial rate is what were comparing. and yes i agree about syringe and flasks.

Reaction score
Yes i thought of that same but powdered isn't the largest surface area, Fine is..

Your probably right muskaan, It is because of the increased surface area of particles causing particles to cause more collision = more effect.