• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chem help

Reaction score
Which salt is produced by adding aqueous ammonia to aqueous sulphur dioxide until just
alkaline?
A NH4 SO3 B NH4 SO4 C (NH4)2 SO3 D (NH4)2 SO4

Reaction score
8 Which of the following would be suitable for use in a fire extinguisher?
1 CBrF3
2 CH3(CH2)5CH2Br
3 HCl

Reaction score
hassam said:
Which salt is produced by adding aqueous ammonia to aqueous sulphur dioxide until just
alkaline?

C...when SO2 is added we get SO3 in the salt and when SO3 is added we get SO4 in the final salt
the valency for SO3 is -2 and the valency for NH4 is +1 so we cross the numbers and get (NH4)2SO3.

Reaction score
for question 8 i would say b or d
u cant use an acid as a fire extinguisher
and im not sure about the second option but i dont think its correct because hydrocarbons are flamable
so i would go for D

Reaction score
libra94 said:
hassam said:
alkaline?

C...when SO2 is added we get SO3 in the salt and when SO3 is added we get SO4 in the final salt
the valency for SO3 is -2 and the valency for NH4 is +1 so we cross the numbers and get (NH4)2SO3.

Well I think the key point in this question is about the OXIDATION STATE/NUMBER. It is clear that before and after the reaction, the oxidation state is unchanged for N, H and O. So that of S shouldn't change (i.e. remains at +4). So only in SO3 ion S has +4 oxidation state. Answer is C therefore.

Reaction score
oh ....i remember ...dragon club u r ryt....cos its a neutralisation reaction and NEUTRALISATION reactions are not redox reactions

Reaction score
oh ....i remember ...dragon club u r ryt....cos its a neutralisation reaction and NEUTRALISATION reactions are not redox reactions

Reaction score
well question 8 abt fire extinguishers....ahmed t ur anser is ryt bt still nt convincing explanation for me

Reaction score
"Halogenoalkanes in which all of the hydrogen atoms in the alkane have been replaced by halogen atoms are difficult to burn - hence their use in flame retardants and even in fire extinguishers."....this what chemguide says.....so u r ryt abt that flammability thing in 2 thnxxx

Reaction score
"Halogenoalkanes in which all of the hydrogen atoms in the alkane have been replaced by halogen atoms are difficult to burn - hence their use in flame retardants and even in fire extinguishers."....this what chemguide says.....so u r ryt abt that flammability thing in 2 thnxxx
Which revision guide do you use?