• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Business Studies HELP Needed

Reaction score
I'm sitting for Business paper 1 next week, and I'm not sure if I should read the t/b more or do past papers. Because in mocks I mostly only read the book, and it didn't go well :(
Also any tips or notes would really help :)

Reaction score
me too i really focused on theory and although i knew it well (inshAllah)
i didnt do well in the mock because i focused on knowledge and evaluation
and not much on application and analysis
right now im going through some of the stuff that i usually forget and the syllabus additions
and then i will concentrate mainly on past papers since the whole year our teacher made us focus on theory :confused:
please pray for me people

Reaction score
Umm, from where are you learning the new topics? Do you have the new book?

Reaction score
My tips for business studies( I've usually always scored 85% +) -
1) Talk about what you know. In Paper 1, the 6 mark questions will involve a term. For instance, if they ask whether a business should takeover its competitor. You need to show that you know what a takeover is
2) Have a for and against side- Your knowledge and analysis should talk from both the sides. You should have 2 points for knowledge. For instance, in the question about the takeover, your 2 knowledge points will come from knowing what a takeover is, and 2 of its impacts on a business. The good impact is that the business will have a higher market share and recognition. The negative impact is that the business may grow too large, leading to diseconomies of scale.
3) Once you talk about a side, continue to develop it. In the previous point, I said that the takeover would lead to the business having a larger market share or reputation. Now I will develop the point for the analysis mark- The business will thus become more competitive. Higher recognition means that more potential customers are attracted the business and the level of sales will rise. This will make the business more profitable.
Once I'm done developing the for side, I will develop the against side. So in order to introduce it, I will just use the word 'however' after I have talked about the for side:-
However, there may be management problems created by the takeover. The business organization may grow too big. As a result, there may be duplication of work, and inefficiency in the organisation. This will cause the business to incur more costs, and it may lead to demotivation.

4) Justification- Once you have portrayed your for or against case, you have to present your case. You can involve yourself. So it should look something like this:-
I believe that the company XYZ should go ahead with the takeover. This is because, the management problems created are short term, and the problem can be easily solved with an efficient management. In the long run, the increased recognition and market share will definitely allow the company to grow and perform well.

I hope this helps :D and do like this if it helps you. If you have any questions you can pm me or post them here :D

Reaction score
1) Talk about what you know. In Paper 1, the 6 mark questions will involve a term. For instance, if they ask whether a business should takeover its competitor. You need to show that you know what a takeover is
2) Have a for and against side- Your knowledge and analysis should talk from both the sides. You should have 2 points for knowledge. For instance, in the question about the takeover, your 2 knowledge points will come from knowing what a takeover is, and 2 of its impacts on a business. The good impact is that the business will have a higher market share and recognition. The negative impact is that the business may grow too large, leading to diseconomies of scale.
3) Once you talk about a side, continue to develop it. In the previous point, I said that the takeover would lead to the business having a larger market share or reputation. Now I will develop the point for the analysis mark- The business will thus become more competitive. Higher recognition means that more potential customers are attracted the business and the level of sales will rise. This will make the business more profitable.
Once I'm done developing the for side, I will develop the against side. So in order to introduce it, I will just use the word 'however' after I have talked about the for side:-
However, there may be management problems created by the takeover. The business organization may grow too big. As a result, there may be duplication of work, and inefficiency in the organisation. This will cause the business to incur more costs, and it may lead to demotivation.

4) Justification- Once you have portrayed your for or against case, you have to present your case. You can involve yourself. So it should look something like this:-
I believe that the company XYZ should go ahead with the takeover. This is because, the management problems created are short term, and the problem can be easily solved with an efficient management. In the long run, the increased recognition and market share will definitely allow the company to grow and perform well.

I hope this helps :D and do like this if it helps you. If you have any questions you can pm me or post them here :D

Thanks a ton! :) One question though: how many points do you recommend I should write for each, for and against? I mean knowledge points. I saw that you made only 1 for each, but is that enough?

Reaction score
does anyone know on business paper 1 igcse which chapters they concentrate more on ?

Reaction score

what chapters come most on paper 1 igcse business

Reaction score
Thanks a ton! :) One question though: how many points do you recommend I should write for each, for and against? I mean knowledge points. I saw that you made only 1 for each, but is that enough?
Usually it should be enough. But if you want to be on the safe side, you can write 3-4. There isn't really any problem. However your analysis should be based on only one point. That's because you will waste too much time i
You can write as many knowledge points as possible. The maximum I would recommend is 2 for each. I see your logic and writing a total of 4 points would definitely be a safety tactic so that you can get those 2 easy knowledge marks. For the analysis, I wouldn't recommend developing all 4 points. You should develop a maximum of 3. For instance, if you want to write in favour of something, for instance in favour of a takeover, you could write 2 knowledge points in favour of the takeover and develop them. Then you could write 2 points against takeover, but develop one of them. This will show the examiner that you are leaning towards the takeover, and it makes the evaluation mark more easy to write about.
However it comes down to personal preference. I usually develop and write 2 points and I get 6 marks. Several people I know write 4-5 points. However they fail to develop it properly due to the lack of space and because you don't have all the time in the world to write the answer. If you can write enough on the analysis and judgement with 4 points, then go for it!

Reaction score
what chapters come most on paper 1 igcse business
Usually a lot of things. I would emphasis focus on:-
1) Government and business activity- Possibility of 6 mark question on this
2) Finance and Accounting- I am sure there will be one question on this
3) Marketing+the Marketing mix- Definitely one question on this
4) Multinational companies+globalisation+export/import-Most probably combined, but standalone questions are also possible.
5) Management and Motivation- Can be combined with topics
6) Communication in business organisation and organisational structure- Again can be combined. This is usually combined with the Management or with Multinational Companies.
7) Production methods

Be sure to learn all your definitions. Igcse is very likely to repeat the following definitions :-
What is - primary/secondary market research, Working capital and other accounting terms, multinational business, globalisation, tarrifs/quotas, autocratic or democratic leader, partnership or plc or public company, stages of economic cycle, flow/job/batch production.
I'll do some more research and add it here :)

Reaction score
Thanks again! I'll practice more past papers and see if I'm more comfortable doing 2 or 4 points, and then I'll stick to it.

Also do you usually read the book more, or do more past papers? Because for mocks I read the book a lot , but still got pretty bad marks.

Reaction score
Thanks again! I'll practice more past papers and see if I'm more comfortable doing 2 or 4 points, and then I'll stick to it.

Also do you usually read the book more, or do more past papers? Because for mocks I read the book a lot , but still got pretty bad marks.
Reading the books will only help you up to an extent. I used to read the books until the middle of 10th grade.
I still ended up doing really bad. My scores were in the 60s-70s and I was pretty disappointed because I worked really hard for business.
I started reading the marking schemes and trying to understand what the examiners expected.
Basically you do need the textbook to build your base. All your knowledge marks will come from the textbook. However, the analysis and presentation of the answer is something you won't get until you actually do the past papers.
Also if I may add this. The old textbook. I think the 4th edition is absolute bullshit. Only a few relevant definitions were in it, and I didn't use it much. I understood the theory, and practiced the board papers most of the time in order to build up on my content.
I have heard that the new textbook is really good, but I unfortunately do not have it.

Tl;dr- The book is essential in building up your knowledge. However, there is no point reading it now. Only thing that matters now is the past papers. :)
Good luck and we'll definitely ace the exam

Reaction score
Reading the books will only help you up to an extent. I used to read the books until the middle of 10th grade.
I still ended up doing really bad. My scores were in the 60s-70s and I was pretty disappointed because I worked really hard for business.
I started reading the marking schemes and trying to understand what the examiners expected.
Basically you do need the textbook to build your base. All your knowledge marks will come from the textbook. However, the analysis and presentation of the answer is something you won't get until you actually do the past papers.
Also if I may add this. The old textbook. I think the 4th edition is absolute bullshit. Only a few relevant definitions were in it, and I didn't use it much. I understood the theory, and practiced the board papers most of the time in order to build up on my content.
I have heard that the new textbook is really good, but I unfortunately do not have it.

Tl;dr- The book is essential in building up your knowledge. However, there is no point reading it now. Only thing that matters now is the past papers. :)
Good luck and we'll definitely ace the exam

Got it, thanks, and good luck to you too :)