• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology unit 6B: core practicals

Reaction score
Does anyone know what other variables may affect the following experiments and how to control them, and what will happen if they were not controlled:
1) spirometer
2) snail habituation?
please reply as soon as possible..
thnx in advance :) :)

Reaction score
@spirometer.... temperature of the room, person's age and gender, type of excersice, mass and fitness level of the person.... dese r da only 1s i remember atm...
@habituation... how strong the touch is, species of snails used, time interval between touches... i dunno many for dese... can sum1 pls add more 2 dis?

Reaction score
but how will they affect the experiment if they werent controlled?

Reaction score
but how will they affect the experiment if they werent controlled?
Temperature... if its higher, respiration rate is also higher
Age and gender.... babies and children have higher respiration rate n women breathe faster (i think its dis way...)
Type of excersice... something lyk running will cause a different change in heart rate dan say..... cycling
Fitness level... a fitter person can control ventillation better...

Stronger touch... can provoke a bigger response than before bcuz da impulses will be amplified
Species of snail... there will be variations and adaptaions in different species
Time.. if its too long, then the snail may un-habituate to the stimlus

do u know nemore?

Reaction score
thanx a million..
do u know nemore?
in the book that dodo..x 94 posted it mentioned drying out of the snail but it didnt say how 2 control it or how it will affect the experiment.

Reaction score
thanx a million..

in the book that dodo..x 94 posted it mentioned drying out of the snail but it didnt say how 2 control it or how it will affect the experiment.
ur welcome.... dont thank me... just prayers are all i need :) happy to help ^_^

i dint finish dat book yet (stuck up wid mechanix >.<)....
drying out the snail before habituation? wont dat kill the snail??? :confused:

Reaction score
ur welcome.... dont thank me... just prayers are all i need :) happy to help ^_^

i dint finish dat book yet (stuck up wid mechanix >.<)....
drying out the snail before habituation? wont dat kill the snail??? :confused:

mechanics is a psychopathic killer!!

i didnt finish the book either but i was skimming the pages trying to get a general idea of the book and i noticed that sentence.. i dont know how dry do they mean in the book but it seems that they dot mean dry enough 2 kill the snail, i guess just a slight dryness.. they didnt give much details :confused:

Reaction score
mechanics is a psychopathic killer!!

i didnt finish the book either but i was skimming the pages trying to get a general idea of the book and i noticed that sentence.. i dont know how dry do they mean in the book but it seems that they dot mean dry enough 2 kill the snail, i guess just a slight dryness.. they didnt give much details :confused:
YES! especially M2!!! r u doing dat as well?

oh! but y wld u dry the snail? maybe they mean wipe it to remove surface water? as in its taken out frm a water tank n so u need to wipe off the excess water?
do u remember the page no. or nething of dis?

Reaction score
YES! especially M2!!! r u doing dat as well?

oh! but y wld u dry the snail? maybe they mean wipe it to remove surface water? as in its taken out frm a water tank n so u need to wipe off the excess water?
do u remember the page no. or nething of dis?

nope im not doing m2..
the experiment uses a land snail and snails r usually slimy i dont know how is that supposed 2 help them.. but when the book mentioned dryibg out i think it meant because of heat or something..
its on page 22 answer 2 quetion no.5.

Reaction score
nope im not doing m2..
the experiment uses a land snail and snails r usually slimy i dont know how is that supposed 2 help them.. but when the book mentioned dryibg out i think it meant because of heat or something..
its on page 22 answer 2 quetion no.5.
ur SO lucky -____- M1 is a pc of cake compared 2 M2 :(
oh! i see...
w8 lemme chk it out... in a min pls :)

Reaction score
good luck inshaAllah u'll get an A* :D
take ur time :)
Inshallah :) prayers ;) n u too IA! :)
i think wat dey r saying is dat we need to prevent drying out of the snail.... as in if the snail is dried out den dat wld be a negative factor... dats wat i can understand...

Reaction score
so what will happen when it dries out? how will that affect the results?

Reaction score
m not sure.... :confused:
maybe if it dries out it dies or the response is slower... i dunno... just thinking out loud...
ne idea?

Reaction score
hey.. my freind just emailed me, she said:
for the snail habituation:
1) if the snail was already handeled before the experiment it may not react properly
2) it is difficult to determine when a snail has fully emerged
3) lack of moisture may encourage the snail to stay more in its shell
4) its difficult to measure the eyestalk length accurately

Reaction score
hey.. my freind just emailed me, she said:
for the snail habituation:
1) if the snail was already handeled before the experiment it may not react properly
2) it is difficult to determine when a snail has fully emerged
3) lack of moisture may encourage the snail to stay more in its shell
4) its difficult to measure the eyestalk length accurately
thanx! i dinno da third point! thanx a LOT!! :D:D:D
Bless u! :)