• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology/Physics ATP Preparation Thread

Reaction score
Hello,
Let's discuss some of the possible questions that we are likely to get for our ATP papers :) If you have any questions to ask regarding anything related to practicals, please feel free to do so here and not make countless amounts of threads which can be quite untidy :p
Let me start by asking you a question (Biology) Let's discuss this !
Describe how you could carry out an experiment to show that reducing sugar content increases during ripening of a fruit. Include any safety precautions in your answer.

Reaction score
My answer:
Obtain ripe, partially ripe and unripe fruits of the same species.
Take equal amounts of sample from each of the fruits (ripe/partially ripe and unripe)
Crush and grind each sample.
Place these samples in 3 test tubes and add equal amounts of water ex: 2 cm3 into each test tube
Add equal amounts of benedicts solution to each test tube.
Place all 3 test tubes in the same water bath (precaution) to make sure that the temperature is same for each test tube.
Heat the above :p
Observe and compare colour changes.
repeat the experiment .
As a fruit ripens, reducing sugar content increases so the final result is a brick red ppt (ripe) , orange/yellow for partially ripe and blue/green for unripe from the original colour of benedict's : Blue.

Reaction score
KarachiRocker said:
Nice one Intel. Share some more questions :)
Sure ! :)
Here is another one:
You are given 3 samples of antibiotics : A,B,C and 3 bacterial agar cultures. Describe an experiment to show which of the antibiotics is most efficient at destroying the bacteria

Reaction score
intelnehalem said:
Silent Hunter said:
i think ur answers correct intel :)
:D Thanks mate ! You are taking Bio ATP too right?
All the best !

yep i am.........lets have some more of these type of questions expected this session :) :wink:

Reaction score
-make holes in each of the three cultures
-add the A B C in them respectively.....like one A in one culture and B in the second one etc
-observe the cleared area around each bactera in the culture
-the antibiotic surrounded by most cleared area is the best for that specific agar culture

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
-make holes in each of the three cultures
-add the A B C in them respectively.....like one A in one culture and B in the second one etc
-observe the cleared area around each bactera in the culture
-the antibiotic surrounded by most cleared area is the best for that specific agar culture
Correct ! You can also dip filter paper in the antibiotics and place them in the middle of the agar culture :) This is also acceptable

Reaction score
Let's do a physics question now! :D
Describe how you could prove that the resistance of a thermistor decreases with temperature. Include any safety precautions in your answer.

Reaction score
Nice work, intelnehalem! I'll see if I can help too for further queries. And I'm gonna put my doubts here as well. :)

Reaction score
abcde said:
Nice work, intelnehalem! I'll see if I can help too for further queries. And I'm gonna put my doubts here as well. :)
Thanks mate! call me Intel :D I don't mind that hahaha
Yup, be sure to ask all your doubts here ! I will try to post my Bio ATP notes here by today as promised :)

Reaction score
Yes, please! For the first experiment, safety precautions could include: wear a apron or lab coat, perform the experiment on a protective mat etc. :)

Reaction score
abcde said:
Yes, please! For the first experiment, safety precautions could include: wear a apron or lab coat, perform the experiment on a protective mat etc. :)
yes! The water bath is also a safety precaution btw ;)

Reaction score
KarachiRocker said:
Hey intel, are those Biology ATP notes useful ? I mean what are they all about ?
Well, they are mostly about experiments ! ex: microscope,transpiration experiments, photosynthesis experiments