• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Guys what exactly is a half-life? For example if I have a bag containing a piece of a radioactive element which has 10,000 atoms in it. It's half life is say, 10 minutes. So what would happen after 10 minutes? The number of atoms in the bag will be reduced to 5000 atoms OR the nuclei of those 10,000 atoms contains half the original number of alpha, beta and gama rays?
the atoms will decay and reduce to 5000..approx....

Reaction score
Guys what exactly is a half-life? For example if I have a bag containing a piece of a radioactive element which has 10,000 atoms in it. It's half life is say, 10 minutes. So what would happen after 10 minutes? The number of atoms in the bag will be reduced to 5000 atoms OR the nuclei of those 10,000 atoms contains half the original number of alpha, beta and gama rays?
Half life is the time taken for half the no. of nuclei in a given sample to decay

Reaction score
You're missing the word 'solution'. Since the reaction is limited by the amount of Calcium so the same amount of hydrogen will be produced and there will be excess water in the product.
Thanks, but when i calculated the mass of calcium hydroxide using moles of Ca, i got 74. What did i do wrong there?

Reaction score
Are the ways of improving an experiment's reliability the same as 'ways of improving the accuracy of the experiment'?
I believe there may be some difference,like repeating an experiment would make results reliable,but no exactly accurate,while adding more specific solutions and smaller ranges would make results accurate but not specifically reliable.My 2 cents....