• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
A small cylinder of compressed helium gas is used to inflate balloons for a celebration.

(b) The helium in the cylinder has a volume of 6.0 × 10–3 m3 (0.0060 m3) and is at a pressure of 2.75 × 106 Pa.

(i) The pressure of helium in each balloon is 1.1 × 105 Pa. The volume of helium in an inflated balloon is 3.0 × 10–3 (0.0030 m3). The temperature of the helium does not change.

Calculate the number of balloons that were inflated.

I know how the calculation is done for this question using p1v1=p2v2 but my question is how can you equate the pressure and the volume of both systems if the mass of helium in both system is not equal?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The gas in the cylinder cannot be emptied to create vacuum. So, once the pressure inside the cylinder equals atmospheric pressure, it stops pushing gas to the balloon. Hence the last balloon may not be inflated to full. Considering this, the available pressure in the cylinder initially has to be initial cylinder pressure - atmospheric pressure which is 2.75 × 10^6 - 1.01 × 10^5 = 2.64 x 10^6 Pa.

therefore, (2.64 x 10^6) * (6 x 10^-3) = 1.1 x 10^5 x v2

v2= 0.144 m^3

therefore, v2/ volume of helium in 1 balloon

= 0.144/0.003 =48

(remember there are many ways of doing a sum)

Reaction score
How do you guys get yourselves to study Biology?

The other two sciences have a mathematical portion so it's easier, for me at least, to push myself to practice them.

Reaction score
Are scientific calculators allowed in Physics 5054? All 3 exams? (12, 22, 42)?

I have Casio 991-ESPlus

Reaction score
Can anyone plz help me...In the b (iii) 2. part, shouldn't it be a negative sign between the two vertical components? The mark sheme says it's a positive one
Solving it with + between them gives a different answer which is also mathematically correct but the answer in the ms comes only with a negative sign
Plz helpppp:(

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_230211.JPG
    IMG_20180504_230211.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Can anyone plz help me...In the b (iii) 2. part, shouldn't it be a negative sign between the two vertical components? The mark sheme says it's a positive one
Solving it with + between them gives a different answer which is also mathematically correct but the answer in the ms comes only with a negative sign
Plz helpppp:(
the sign doesn't matter because if you read the question carefully it says "the magnitude of the velocities"

Reaction score
the sign doesn't matter because if you read the question carefully it says "the magnitude of the velocities"
Yeah it shouldn't HAVE mattered but the answers coming are different if we use either of the signs and both of the answers are mathematically correct when they are put back into the equation
Plz solve it urself once using both + and - and then tell me what's ur answer