• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Catalytic Converter converts harmfull gases (NO,CO,HC) into harmless gases
2NO + 2CO ----> 2CO2 +N2
2CO + O2 -----> 2CO2
HC + O2 ------>3CO2 +H2O

Reaction takes place at 500-800c.Steel helps to maintain this temp.
They are lined with Pd,Rh (Catayst)

A catalytic converter turns harmful gases into harmless gases. For example, Catalytic converters are used in Cars. Cars throw out Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen Dioxide. Both of these gases are harmful.

Catalytic converter oxidises Carbon Monoxide to Carbon Dioxide
And
Reduces Nitrogen Dioxide to Nitrogen thus making these both gases harmless.

Yes yes i know all this :cool: , :p i just wanted to see how many knew that a catalytic conveter also converts unburnt hydro carbons into carbon dioxide and water :p
i did not know this until i came across a past paper which mentioned this , Hassan1233 is right he mentioned "HC + O2 ------>3CO2 +H2O" a medal to you man ;)
I hope that anyone who did not know this now knows it HA! :D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Can someone check out Chemistry D05/P2/Q.9
It is really difficult :O
upload_2015-5-17_14-6-5.png
A more reactive halogen would displace the less reactive one. Displacement reactions are carried out to investigate the trend of reactivity in halogens. Three test tubes are set up containing aq. KCl, KBr, and KI. To these test tubes 2 cm3 of aqueous chlorine is added alternately and colour change noted. The experiment is repeated with aqueous bromine and aqueous iodine, using another set of 3 testubes. The results are tabulated as shown:
upload_2015-5-17_14-20-52.png
the equations for these reactions are:
Cl2 + 2KBr ---> 2KCl +Br2
Cl2 + 2KI ---> 2KCl + I2
Br2 + 2KI ---> 2KBr + I2

Reaction score
well, distillation means to evaporate and then condense the liquid.........just for example u place pebbles(insoluble impurities) in water and then carry out distillation......ULL GET THE WATER BACK.......3 is also correct, but to some extent.
isnt desalination possible too thn?? we get water afterall

Reaction score
How to make Ethyl Propanoate? Please someone help
In it
Ethanol will be alcohol?
Propanoic will be Carboxylic acid?

Will it be like this?
C2H5OH+C3H5OOH ---> C5H10O2?

Reaction score
Why Aluminium doesnot react with Aqueous Copper(II) sulfate?
Ans. Oxide layer of Aluminium or Copper?

Confused

Reaction score
Can someone solve this question?
5070/22/O/N/13
A5(b)(i)

I don't know how to draw that graph line.
draw the graph of vol against time, do not write any reading
speedcurve.gif

Why Aluminium doesnot react with Aqueous Copper(II) sulfate?
Ans. Oxide layer of Aluminium or Copper?

Confused

Al has a protective coating of Al2O3 on it because of its reaction with oxygrn in air, this layer protects Al from reacting

Reaction score
moles of ethene in 0.4 tonnes= 0.4/28 = 0.014 mol
since only 5% is used, so moles of ethene used= 5/100 *0.014 = 0.0007143 moles

from equ. C2H4: C2H5OH = 1:1
So, moles of ethanol formed = 0.0007143 moles
Therefore,
Mass of ethanol formed = 0.0007143 * (Mr of ethanol) = 0.0007143 * 46 = 0.033 tonnes

(SORRY I DIDN'T CONVERT TONNES INTO GRAMS, BUT IN PAPER YOU ARE BOUND TO CONVERT THEM OTHERWISE YOUR WHOLE CALCULATION WILL BE WRONG! I DID THIS TO AVOID TOO MUCH BIG ANSWERS :p)

Reaction score
Plz urgent help needed can anyone tell me plz that the conditions of which reactions should i learn
tomorrow is exams urgent help
thx in advance

Reaction score
If you want to learn from the comfort of your own home, I am available to teach IGCSE/Olevels subjects online via Skype ...

Subjects :
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics
English
Urdu
Pakistan studies
Economics

I've got lots of helpful resources and study tips to help you ace your IGCSE exams. My working hours are also quite flexible.

Did you know the best way to learn is by having a student teach you? That's because they can understand you better because they had the same exact confusions once. That's why group studying works so well!

If you'd like more information, feel free to contact me.