• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
Which disease is NOT likely to be passed directly from parent to child?
A. Cholera
B. HIV AIDS
C. malaria
D. Tuberculosis

The answer is malaria...but why cant it be cholera?

Reaction score
For part 1, the ans is D because during telophase, spindle will start to disintegrate.
Part 2, options 1 and 3 refers to cohesion-tension theory. So the remainings are the answer. So sorry i do not know how to explain option 2 and 4.
Part 3, only trachea and bronchus have cartilage. Respiratory bronchioles do not contain smooth muscle.
Part 4, in poorly drained areas, there will be less amount of O2 (contributes to anaerobic conditions), denitrying bacteria survives best in this condition. As a result, this will lead to an increase in denitrification process.
Hope it helps :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
For part 1, the ans is D because during telophase, spindle will start to disintegrate.
Part 2, options 1 and 3 refers to cohesion-tension theory. So the remainings are the answer. So sorry i do not know how to explain option 2 and 4.
Part 3, only trachea and bronchus have cartilage. Respiratory bronchioles do not contain smooth muscle.
Part 4, in poorly drained areas, there will be less amount of O2 (contributes to anaerobic conditions), denitrying bacteria survives best in this condition. As a result, this will lead to an increase in denitrification process.
Hope it helps :)
can u tell me what is respiratory bronchiole...and what is terminal?

Reaction score
A. Cholera
B. HIV AIDS
C. malaria
D. Tuberculosis

Hi there. Cholera can be passed on to their children. This explanation may seem abit funny to you but it's true. Parents can prepared food for their children so there's a chance of contaminating the food :D

Reaction score
A. Cholera
B. HIV AIDS
C. malaria
D. Tuberculosis

cuz malaria needs a vector..unlike others
and cholera can pass in one house if the living conditions are poor....like no water to wash hands and make food and stuff

Reaction score
From all the sunlight arriving at the plant, a lot is wasted from transpiration, the light misses the leaf, the light passes through the leaf without getting absorbed by the chloroplasts etc... so only 1% of the sunlight is actually used in photosynthesis (this is a number you must know from studying ecosystems)
Also, we know that 10% of the energy in produces is actually useful to primary consumers. This is due to several reasons. For example, the cellulose in the plant's cell walls cannot be digested, so it just passes through the feces of the herbivore. A lot of energy is also wasted in respiration, and also in chewing the plant.
Secondary consumers are more efficient because more parts of the herbivore can be digested such as flesh and meat. However, there are still parts such as bones which cannot be digested. As a result, the efficiency in secondary consumers is higher than that in primary consumers. So the only option is 20%.
All the remaining energy (from cellulose, bones, organic waste) can be digested and used by microorganisms/detrivores/decomposers, so they get the remaining 80% of the energy.
wht m nt getting is.....in secondary consumer,10% of primary consumer is efficient...so it should be less than 10% in secondary consumer.isn't it?????

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with these?
Screen shot 2012-06-12 at 6.08.05 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-06-12 at 6.09.47 PM.png
^can someone please label each of the parts for me?

Screen shot 2012-06-12 at 6.16.53 PM.png
^why C and not B?

which component of tobacco smoke causes emphysema?

jazakallah

Reaction score
as u add more substrate to the non competitive inhibition it remains the same rate not increasing
i guess the reaaction rate increases.since competitive inhibitor depends on the concn of substrate present......

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Soldier313

screen-shot-2012-06-12-at-6-16-53-pm-png.12781

^why C and not B?
the compounds in plants would be i think proteins?

umm,,,they'll be converted to ammonium ions first...n then to nitrates...which plants will take,,,

nt sure

Reaction score
Hi guys.. Thanks for those who helped me out in lots of questions!
Appreciate it!!
Gonna have Bio paper 1 tomorrow!!!
I'm gonna log off now and not gonna log in for next 24 hours.

Good Luck everyone!! God bless!! :)