• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Are there any compulsory subjects for O'levels?

Reaction score
If I ask this question from a common school student, i would simply be told of the basic subjects like English, Urdu, Pakistan studies, Islamiat and Mathematics. But if i had rather look at the cie website, what I would find is a list of subjects for O'levels and no mention of any compulsory subjects. (http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/middlesec/olevel/subjects) So, what my commonsense tells me in this case is that you've to chose any subjects which are suitable for you and it's only schools which make it compulsory for their own students. I just wondered what you all guys think about this?

Actually, I have taken exams of four subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) and am just about to take the rest of four in November, 2013 but Pakistan Studies I find too hard to study,(especially Geography), partly because I do not have enough material for a thorough study of it because all the books are written by writers who think it necessary to make the sentences as complex as much it is in their power. I was finding an alternative for this and was wondering whether could I drop this subject or is it necessary to take it's exam?

Plus if someone has any tips to give me or if they have a book of Pakistan Studies from which they can understand entirely if they study on their own, then I would be very grateful!

THANKS FOR READING SUCH A DAMN LONG QUESTION (if you really read it all:p)!

Reaction score
Well yes you can drop the Pakistan studies ... Even my friend have dropped it .... So it's not compulsory to take this subject... But if you are in a school then it depends o your school policy ... If they let you drop or not

Reaction score
If you gonna stay in Pakistan u have to study Pakistan Studies... Because it is seen when u enter uni...
If u want to leave the country then choice is all urx...

Reaction score
Actually you have to fulfill atleast the list of 8subjects in Olevels.. In which there the English, Urdu (regional language) and Islamiat (religion) are compulsory while other subjects aren't compulsory. If you wanna drop Pk. Studies then u have too subtitue another subject.

Reaction score
If I ask this question from a common school student, i would simply be told of the basic subjects like English, Urdu, Pakistan studies, Islamiat and Mathematics. But if i had rather look at the cie website, what I would find is a list of subjects for O'levels and no mention of any compulsory subjects. (http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/middlesec/olevel/subjects) So, what my commonsense tells me in this case is that you've to chose any subjects which are suitable for you and it's only schools which make it compulsory for their own students. I just wondered what you all guys think about this?

Actually, I have taken exams of four subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) and am just about to take the rest of four in November, 2013 but Pakistan Studies I find too hard to study,(especially Geography), partly because I do not have enough material for a thorough study of it because all the books are written by writers who think it necessary to make the sentences as complex as much it is in their power. I was finding an alternative for this and was wondering whether could I drop this subject or is it necessary to take it's exam?

Plus if someone has any tips to give me or if they have a book of Pakistan Studies from which they can understand entirely if they study on their own, then I would be very grateful!

THANKS FOR READING SUCH A DAMN LONG QUESTION (if you really read it all:p)!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5gbk65gamme599k

book for pakst paper2 geography. Spread the word

Reaction score
Ok I'll tell you what if you have to study in Pakistan then you have to give Pakistan studies, islamiat and Urdu or else in the universities you would be studying as a foreign student and you would have to pay another fee for that.

Reaction score
pakistan stds is nt dat much difficult but it depends upn the policy of the university u r entering [with most of them ask 4 it] as well as ur school policy

Reaction score
If you are in Islamabad, get Sir Amir Saleem's notes - they are extremely thorough and well detailed. For History, he has answered all questions according to the marking scheme and for Geography, he has prepared a pamphlet on every topic.