• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

any one got (A*)in english as second language.IGCSE

Reaction score
hello..for people who got a high grade in english PLEASE post the tips and the way of writing (essays,letters,summary etc...) i will be veeery thankful because i am doing it in oct/nov2012 and i got a "D" in may/ june 2012 ..sooooo please help

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb...It's just practice as much as u can, and then get your stuff checked by ur teacher...

Reaction score
For writing better English, read LOTS! Specially the kind of essays that appear repeatedly. For example, topics about space sciences, mobile phones etc. You can find good articles here: www.teenink.com
Be prepared with an excellent beginning and conclusion for informal and formal letters that you could use for any topic given.
Don't lose marks at all in the comprehensions, note-making, and forms. Look at some examiner reports and marking schemes for guidance (This is crucial).
For listening:
First of all in English listening keep one thing in mind, you have to have a habit of writing before hand(for eg. if there's a question that require 2 points write the numbers 1 and 2 on the lines provided so u don't for get that u had to write 2 points) Secondly, another trick that I found helpful is to underline the key points for example HOW MANY TRUCKS DO THEY USE? and the passage is about vehicles that mean I would underline truck (cox that's the unique word here) and so when the speaker says the word truck i would immediately become active and listen carefully to that.
In form-filling, I aim to mark all the points at first so I again underline the keywords. I WRITE GUESSES OF SOMETHING THAT I COULD NOT HEAR CORRECTLY WITH A PENCIL. So that if I don't have to leave it blank if I couldn't hear it for the second time :D
P.S my advice is that u use pencil NEAR the answer blanks but not on them :D
Hope that helped :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
For writing better English, read LOTS! Specially the kind of essays that appear repeatedly. For example, topics about space sciences, mobile phones etc. You can find good articles here: www.teenink.com
Be prepared with an excellent beginning and conclusion for informal and formal letters that you could use for any topic given.
Don't lose marks at all in the comprehensions, note-making, and forms. Look at some examiner reports and marking schemes for guidance (This is crucial).
For listening:
First of all in English listening keep one thing in mind, you have to have a habit of writing before hand(for eg. if there's a question that require 2 points write the numbers 1 and 2 on the lines provided so u don't for get that u had to write 2 points) Secondly, another trick that I found helpful is to underline the key points for example HOW MANY TRUCKS DO THEY USE? and the passage is about vehicles that mean I would underline truck (cox that's the unique word here) and so when the speaker says the word truck i would immediately become active and listen carefully to that.
In form-filling, I aim to mark all the points at first so I again underline the keywords. I WRITE GUESSES OF SOMETHING THAT I COULD NOT HEAR CORRECTLY WITH A PENCIL. So that if I don't have to leave it blank if I couldn't hear it for the second time :D
P.S my advice is that u use pencil NEAR the answer blanks but not on them :D
Hope that helped :)
Aoa wr wb...
that guessess thing, for listening...let me addd...that's something I read what some examiner actually said to do so...so u see...that's a good idea. Just make a guess, what the answer could be....but don't leave it blank...

Reaction score
Reaction score
Well, I'm not doing ESL, but a good friend is.
I'm currently helping him out with his upcoming Oct/Nov ESL tests.
My suggestions:
Read books - it will improve your vocabulary
Do past papers - look at the question VERY CAREFULLY. My friend has this problem of skim-reading the question and writing the wrong answer. Understand what is asked and write ONLY that. No extra marks for writing more than what's needed.
Comprehension - First, read the questions. Then, look in the passage for what you want. This way, you save a lot of time.

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the format of formal and informal writing patterns?