• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ALL STUDENTS APPEARING FOR HISTORY....CLICK HERE!!!

Reaction score
I have seen this question in da pst pps n i cant find its answer anywhere!!.....i hav checked sum buks n notes n stuff but da answer is just not there......
the question is:
why did the indian sub-continent attract European traders in the late 16th and 17th centuries?

Reaction score
This is a question from June 2007, Question 1, b part.

Suggested answer: The main prospect which attracted the Europeans to the subcontinent during the late 16th and 17th centuries was trade. Portuguese were the first to arrive and they occupied Goa in 1510. Trade in spices and desire to spread Christianity were their main aims.

For this para, just write on how the British entered, eliminated competition, and established themselves. Mention about French and how they were driven out, etc.

Last para: Therefore it was trade that attracted the Europeans to the subcontinent which was known as the 'golden sparrow' on account of its natural resources and wealth. It was found that 10 per cent of the income of British government was obtained from taxes on trade with India.

And simply in order to find out the past paper year of the question, copy paste the question in google and add olevels at end. You should find a link to a past paper here on xtremepapers.com. Then search it's marking scheme and you will have the answer.

Hope it helped.

Reaction score
This is a question from June 2007, Question 1, b part.

Suggested answer: The main prospect which attracted the Europeans to the subcontinent during the late 16th and 17th centuries was trade. Portuguese were the first to arrive and they occupied Goa in 1510. Trade in spices and desire to spread Christianity were their main aims.

For this para, just write on how the British entered, eliminated competition, and established themselves. Mention about French and how they were driven out, etc.

Last para: Therefore it was trade that attracted the Europeans to the subcontinent which was known as the 'golden sparrow' on account of its natural resources and wealth. It was found that 10 per cent of the income of British government was obtained from taxes on trade with India.

And simply in order to find out the past paper year of the question, copy paste the question in google and add olevels at end. You should find a link to a past paper here on xtremepapers.com. Then search it's marking scheme and you will have the answer.

Hope it helped.

i hav found the marking scheme n da examiner report but im having trouble in actually putting the points together as an answer.....i would appreciate it if u cud do dat for me......thnx:)
Q
Why did the Indian sub-continent attract European traders in the late sixteenth and early
seventeenth centuries? [7] (J2007/P1/1b)
Examiner Comments
: Part (b) caused few problems as most were able to explain why the

Indian sub-continent attracted European traders. However, many answers focused solely on

the East India Company and the British and failed to take into account those other European

countries which were also attracted to the sub-continent, notably the French.
Marking Scheme
: Explains reasons.

Traders reported evidence of immense wealth in the sub-Continent which led to the EIC establishing

a trading base there since they saw a profitable future. The English wanted to establish

their influence in the sub-Continent and to oust the Dutch and Portuguese.

Reaction score
- vast areas full of untapped resources like gold, diamonds, cotton, spices and the like attracted European traders to the subcontinent in the late 16th and early 17th century.

-European colonialism, began in the 15th century with the "Age of Discovery", led by Portuguese and SpanishIn May 1498, the Portuguese set foot in Kozhikode in Kerala. Rivalry among reigning European powers saw the entry of the Dutch,English, French, Danish and others. The kingdoms of India were gradually taken over by the Europeans and indirectly controlled by puppet rulers. In 1600, Queen Elizabeth I accorded a charter, forming the East India Company to trade with India and eastern Asia. The English landed in India in Surat in 1612. By the 19th century, they had assumed direct and indirect control over most of India.exploration of the Americas, and the coasts of Africa, the Middle East, India, and East Asia.

Reaction score
- vast areas full of untapped resources like gold, diamonds, cotton, spices and the like attracted European traders to the subcontinent in the late 16th and early 17th century.

-European colonialism, began in the 15th century with the "Age of Discovery", led by Portuguese and SpanishIn May 1498, the Portuguese set foot in Kozhikode in Kerala. Rivalry among reigning European powers saw the entry of the Dutch,English, French, Danish and others. The kingdoms of India were gradually taken over by the Europeans and indirectly controlled by puppet rulers. In 1600, Queen Elizabeth I accorded a charter, forming the East India Company to trade with India and eastern Asia. The English landed in India in Surat in 1612. By the 19th century, they had assumed direct and indirect control over most of India.exploration of the Americas, and the coasts of Africa, the Middle East, India, and East Asia.
thaaaanx....

Reaction score
I have seen this question in da pst pps n i cant find its answer anywhere!!.....i hav checked sum buks n notes n stuff but da answer is just not there......
the question is:
why did the indian sub-continent attract European traders in the late 16th and 17th centuries?
Thats not the full answer btw. I was doing the same question too. got stuck and cant find it in the book :/

Reaction score
the question is:

1. Goods in India (silk, spices and cotton) could be sold and great profit could be earned
2. England experienced Industrial Revolution; industries producing goods and required market place and raw materials; India had both available

Reaction score
Thats not the full answer btw. I was doing the same question too. got stuck and cant find it in the book :/
here is the mrks scheme n the examiner's comments for the question...but im still havin trouble in putting it 2gether as an answer...
Q
Why did the Indian sub-continent attract European traders in the late sixteenth and early
seventeenth centuries? [7] (J2007/P1/1b)
Examiner Comments
: Part (b) caused few problems as most were able to explain why the

Indian sub-continent attracted European traders. However, many answers focused solely on

the East India Company and the British and failed to take into account those other European

countries which were also attracted to the sub-continent, notably the French.
Marking Scheme
: Explains reasons.

Traders reported evidence of immense wealth in the sub-Continent which led to the EIC establishing

a trading base there since they saw a profitable future. The English wanted to establish

their influence in the sub-Continent and to oust the Dutch and Portuguese.

Reaction score
Immense wealth and luxurious life of Indian princes was the main cause of attraction for the Europeans and also the British.
It is a country of fertile land and agricultural produce, mineral wealth and other natural resources. Since early history, it was attractive to invaders. Europe on the other hand has cold climate and lesser natural resources.
Since twelfth century, scientific development started in Europe which led to the development of weaponry. Gun powder started modern guns and cannons. These factors encouraged Europeans to invade and capture other fertile lands where the rulers were divided and disintegrated. The Europeans came to India for wealth but due to their lesser number and a strong system of kings in India, they could not gain political power. The stories of the luxurious life of Indian Nawabs and Rajas were known to Europeans. Their clothes, jewelry, immense wealth and luxury always attracted Europeans and they saw golden opportunities of business in India. The Portuguese, the Dutch, the French and finally the British tried their luck in India. Until the death of Aurangzeb, Mughals had become very weak and the EIC decided to take advantage of this weakness. Until, 1750, Mughals had lost their wealth as well as their prestige. Soon the British got involved in practical politics and captured India within hundred years.
East India Company also involved due to the competition and political rivalry with the other European nations. European nations were almost equal in technological development and they had captured the wealth-producing regions of the world. For this reason, when East India Company went to Indonesia, they were expelled by the Dutch. Even in India, the Emperor Jahangir did not permit them to trade but they were lucky that they were granted permission by the Prince Shah Jahan. There was a rivalry between the Europeans and they wanted to supersede each other. Besides that, the British had a strong government of Queen Victoria. They were rich, organized and advanced in technology but in India, they had competition with Portuguese, Dutch and later with the French. However they could not imagine in 1608 that they would become the rulers of India in hundred years.

Reaction score
Immense wealth and luxurious life of Indian princes was the main cause of attraction for the Europeans and also the British.
It is a country of fertile land and agricultural produce, mineral wealth and other natural resources. Since early history, it was attractive to invaders. Europe on the other hand has cold climate and lesser natural resources.
Since twelfth century, scientific development started in Europe which led to the development of weaponry. Gun powder started modern guns and cannons. These factors encouraged Europeans to invade and capture other fertile lands where the rulers were divided and disintegrated. The Europeans came to India for wealth but due to their lesser number and a strong system of kings in India, they could not gain political power. The stories of the luxurious life of Indian Nawabs and Rajas were known to Europeans. Their clothes, jewelry, immense wealth and luxury always attracted Europeans and they saw golden opportunities of business in India. The Portuguese, the Dutch, the French and finally the British tried their luck in India. Until the death of Aurangzeb, Mughals had become very weak and the EIC decided to take advantage of this weakness. Until, 1750, Mughals had lost their wealth as well as their prestige. Soon the British got involved in practical politics and captured India within hundred years.
East India Company also involved due to the competition and political rivalry with the other European nations. European nations were almost equal in technological development and they had captured the wealth-producing regions of the world. For this reason, when East India Company went to Indonesia, they were expelled by the Dutch. Even in India, the Emperor Jahangir did not permit them to trade but they were lucky that they were granted permission by the Prince Shah Jahan. There was a rivalry between the Europeans and they wanted to supersede each other. Besides that, the British had a strong government of Queen Victoria. They were rich, organized and advanced in technology but in India, they had competition with Portuguese, Dutch and later with the French. However they could not imagine in 1608 that they would become the rulers of India in hundred years.
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANX...........

Reaction score
the question is:
-goods of india
-strategic importance of india
-industrial revolution in europe
-profitable trade
-new world market

Reaction score
Here is what I produced:

The Indian sub continent had much to offer to the Europeon traders due to which they elstablished their bases by 17th and 18th century.

The reason why Indian Subcontinent attracted them can be attributed to the fact that it had vast riches, Europeons needed a new world market, subcontinent's prime location which helped them to keep a check on other nations , its nice geographical features as well as subcontinent's weak situation.

Sub continent had immense wealth of gold, crafts, spices and other riches due to which it was called golden sparrow. Europeon traders came here to capture all this wealth and install themselves as wealthiest traders, so they established bases and started trade there. Thus EIC also established in the region.

Europeons could not win the monopoly of trade in Africa and East Indies ( Indonesia ) mainly because of Dutch and Portugeese influence, so they were in search of a new world market, thus subcontinent attracted them like a magnet.

Subcontinent was at a location from where if Europeon traders establish their bases, they could keep an eye on activities of Russia and China.

Subcontinent at its south has had a wide warm water port which can make trade by sea route effecient. Also, they were fed up of cold climate of Britain so for a change, they came here as sub continent was quiet warm.

Europeon traders could also see a prosperous future owing to the fact that India was at weak situation and they were in a fear that if they would not capture this area, the rival nations like Russia which was too powerful could easily capture it. Thus, subcontinent attracted them.

Hope I gave the best answer!

Reaction score
Here is what I produced:

The Indian sub continent had much to offer to the Europeon traders due to which they elstablished their bases by 17th and 18th century.

The reason why Indian Subcontinent attracted them can be attributed to the fact that it had vast riches, Europeons needed a new world market, subcontinent's prime location which helped them to keep a check on other nations , its nice geographical features as well as subcontinent's weak situation.

Sub continent had immense wealth of gold, crafts, spices and other riches due to which it was called golden sparrow. Europeon traders came here to capture all this wealth and install themselves as wealthiest traders, so they established bases and started trade there. Thus EIC also established in the region.

Europeons could not win the monopoly of trade in Africa and East Indies ( Indonesia ) mainly because of Dutch and Portugeese influence, so they were in search of a new world market, thus subcontinent attracted them like a magnet.

Subcontinent was at a location from where if Europeon traders establish their bases, they could keep an eye on activities of Russia and China.

Subcontinent at its south has had a wide warm water port which can make trade by sea route effecient. Also, they were fed up of cold climate of Britain so for a change, they came here as sub continent was quiet warm.

Europeon traders could also see a prosperous future owing to the fact that India was at weak situation and they were in a fear that if they would not capture this area, the rival nations like Russia which was too powerful could easily capture it. Thus, subcontinent attracted them.

that really helped...thnx

Reaction score
Here is what I produced:

GREAT (Y)