• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Accelerating A levels?

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
How're you all doing? I will be completing my O levels this June inshAllah. I have 2 A* and 3 A's from my last year. I want to know that is accelerating A levels a good idea? I am thinking of accelerating A levels with minimum subjects (Maths, Physics and Chemistry). I'm giving AS maths with my O levels this year, so as to relieve me of the burden while accelerating A levels. Should I give AS in november and then start studying for A2 in june? or Start studying both right now but give in Nov and June?
Do you think any college in Karachi will let me do this or I would have to be a private candidate?
Also, I'd like to know about colleges that offer scholarships, academics and sports based both.

Thanks and Cheers! :)

Reaction score
Exactly what i wanted to know too.

But why would you want to accelerate it? I mean, what would you do with that year you save?

Reaction score
You can do a million things :D My mom's of the point that O level takes an extra year so I'd catch up on it..

Reaction score
That would be engineering

depends upon what you can do in that extra year and another if you like till you figure out what you want with to do in Engineering... 4 or 6 long good quality internships at good organizations, SAT1, SAT2 Subject tests, learn programming languages like Matlab or other programming languages that engineers use, you can also do the LSE external program math courses or the Math diploma - it is tough but good, you can probably make an engineering project ...take your pick ... but your grades should not be bad because of accelerating your A-levels ... the point is to start a CV now and make an application that a university cannot ignore ..

however is engineering an academic interest or a career interest?

I ask because if engineering is a career move then what are your options as in which area of engineering

is it business/management oriented or pure research/development or professor

however in anycase ... a bi-major at the undergrad level would be good ... because your only way to earn money as an engineer in pakistan is to utilize it in a managing capacity ... with engineering knowledge coupled with Operations Management or Operations Research (also called Management Sciences) and maybe even Six Sigma you can rise up in the corporate ladder into a top level managerial position ... go join linkedin connect with people find out what works what doesn't

http://www.pec.org.pk/ ---- visit this site check the courses and examinations

also use phonebook to make a list of companies start finding out about them their projects, their future prospects, find out if you would want to work with them ... follow other generic career advice I have posted in other threads

Reaction score
Thanks teachyourself for such a detailed post. Engineering is both my interest and a hood rewarding field too i think. About programming languages, ypu they are an interest and I'd search for some. About SAT1 and SAT2, I'm confused when to give them actually. Because I'm giving O levels and Maths AS this june. Maybe right after that I can give SAT1? What's an LSE? Please enlighten me more about Maths diplomas if you can.. Would they be helpful?
Thankyou very much :)
depends upon what you can do in that extra year and another if you like till you figure out what you want with to do in Engineering... 4 or 6 long good quality internships at good organizations, SAT1, SAT2 Subject tests, learn programming languages like Matlab or other programming languages that engineers use, you can also do the LSE external program math courses or the Math diploma - it is tough but good, you can probably make an engineering project ...take your pick ... but your grades should not be bad because of accelerating your A-levels ... the point is to start a CV now and make an application that a university cannot ignore ..

however is engineering an academic interest or a career interest?

I ask because if engineering is a career move then what are your options as in which area of engineering

is it business/management oriented or pure research/development or professor

however in anycase ... a bi-major at the undergrad level would be good ... because your only way to earn money as an engineer in pakistan is to utilize it in a managing capacity ... with engineering knowledge coupled with Operations Management or Operations Research (also called Management Sciences) and maybe even Six Sigma you can rise up in the corporate ladder into a top level managerial position ... go join linkedin connect with people find out what works what doesn't

http://www.pec.org.pk/ ---- visit this site check the courses and examinations

also use phonebook to make a list of companies start finding out about them their projects, their future prospects, find out if you would want to work with them ... follow other generic career advice I have posted in other threads

Reaction score
Thanks teachyourself for such a detailed post. Engineering is both my interest and a hood rewarding field too i think. About programming languages, ypu they are an interest and I'd search for some. About SAT1 and SAT2, I'm confused when to give them actually. Because I'm giving O levels and Maths AS this june. Maybe right after that I can give SAT1? What's an LSE? Please enlighten me more about Maths diplomas if you can.. Would they be helpful?
Thankyou very much :)

the Math As along with your O-levels is a good step ... lets you get rid of A-level math earlier and also gives you the chance to do A-level Further Math ... which is not impossible but rather challenging because subject material is rather scattered without any connection between them ... it is more like an introduction to undergrad math using bits and pieces of topics ... so if you want to do Further Math then I would suggest you get a Further Math tutor right after your O-levels and study during the holidays... btw if you are not planning to do the A-levels accelerated then you can do internships during the summer and winter vacations

engineering as a rewarding field will depend entirely upon what you want to do in Engineering, what you want in terms of money, then that will depend upon the contacts you will have for getting you a job, as well as the number of jobs available, what you can do is ask you friends and relatives in the field of engineering about the salary progression -- for example some careers have very low starting pays but eventually the pay is substantial in the long run

SAT 1 & 2 have a 2 year expiration date so you should gv them in the extra year that you gain after finishing your A-levels accelerated .. you can also give them right after the As Papers if you are doing the regular 2 year A-levels .... up to you

Uol Interntional Programm (LSE: London School of Economics) - google it... the math courses and diplomas if you do em in the extra year or two years .. they will give you an edge .. but mind you these are challenging because you would use study guides (as a replacement for lectures) and then use books upon which the study guides are based but the books will not be available in Pakistan and you will need to get them shipped.. hence the expense and difficulty will be there ... but do not expect some extraordinary return in terms of career development or anything of that sort if you do the Math Diploma... however even if you are interested in Academics then gv the Math diploma after your BBA or BSc.. that way you will be able to fulfill your academic need and also have a degree and there will be no career interruptions even if you are unable to do the Math Diploma

and if you are applying abroad then start looking for unis during the holidays ... finding the right uni for the money, scholarships, financial aid, your area of engineering, takes time and the sooner you apply the more preference you get ... around 8 months before the deadline you should know about all the paper work/documentation the FAFSA forms, school transcripts, have the documents ready as well and then apply as soon as you know where you want to go .. by the way applications to each uni also costs around $ 30 to 50

Reaction score
You can do a million things :D My mom's of the point that O level takes an extra year so I'd catch up on it..
Ecjactly! our school is the odd one out in that context. cuz it completes O'levels in 2 years rather than 3. So now, im in 10th grade but ill be done with O/L in may!

Reaction score
Ecjactly! our school is the odd one out in that context. cuz it completes O'levels in 2 years rather than 3. So now, im in 10th grade but ill be done with O/L in may!

Reaction score
good now use this extra year wisely to figure out what you want to do with your career (btw universities want 12 years of official schooling -- so find out if giving A-levels privately fulfills that requirement)... start with Personality Assessments (MBTI and Big 5 Trait), do internships- start immediately after your exams and do internships for a year if you want, and if private A-levels fulfill the 12 year schooling requirement then do the A-levels privately while doing your internships, this will let you make a CV very early and also let you decide your career direction before you do your BBA in fact if you could enroll in a BBA program that allows evening classes, then take that option and do a job(try to get flexi hours)/internship ... so that while you are doing the BBA you will also have work experience (with this you will have atleast 6 (1 year internships, 1 year part-time job, 4 years full-time job) years of work experience by the time you finish your BBA... infact you should visit universities and ask them about the class timings as soon as you are done with your exams ... that way you will know exactly what you can do or cannot do in terms of a degree/work balance ...

if the evening classes are not available then what you can do is take a lighter course load every semester and work at a reputable call center or a web designing firm/marketing firm that deals with foreign clients (evening to night shift) that way you will get a taste of Marketing/Sales, if that is your interest......

if you are into Finance then go for the ACCA privately with work experience, then get an M.com Equivalency and then do you MBA from a reputable university in pakistan OR instead of an MBA do the CFA (the skills of the CFA are globally applicable and recognized .. the pakistani MBA is not worth anything outside of Pakistan) ... there are few major divisions in finance: Controller, Treasurer, Analyst/Research, Risk

If you are interested in Supply Chain Management (several divisions - Logistics/Transport, Inventory/Warehouse, Procurement/Purchase, Customer Service/Distribution, Forecasting/Planning/Analyst, Software) then get several years of while doing your BBA and get a supply chain qualification/certification -- there are many of them .....to get a hollistic view of Supply Chain Management read Christopher Walker's book

If you are into Project Management then get project management work-experience (around 3 years is needed) along with a BBA and then get the PMP certification

If you are into Operations/Operations Research ... any work experience related to operations (services/manufacturing) will do along with your BBA

If you are into Human Resource Management then even general management experience is applicable in some cases ... the Garry Dessler HRM book is excellent and easy

and applicable to most of the above is SAP ... learn this software ... there are free resources online
http://sap.atoztutorial.com/
http://sap-certification.info/sap-tutorials-top-10-free-sap-tutorials/
http://www.abbasoft.com/Downloads.aspx

excel is also essential

this is just an idea ... you can also choose the regular path of a BBA, MBA and your career should be fine as long as you can do your work, be dependable and maintain contacts, as well as use them to advance your career

Reaction score
Is general paper similar to eng?
no

the general paper is 2 essays if i remember it correctly ... it could have changed over the years ... go to the cie website and check the syllabus .. there should be pastpapers on this site as well

A-levels English has a comprehension and an essay.. but it could have changed

a-levels English literature is another course as well

Reaction score
Asalam o alaikum plzzz can anyone tell me how to make serial dilutions Q1 (b) 9700/53/o/n/12.
from 25mmoldm-3 sodium nitrate to 20,15,10 and 5 mmoldm-3.
molar mass of sodium nitrate is 85g mol-1...
plz help someone!!