• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A-Levels Equivalence

Reaction score
I recently looked at the A-levels equivalence formula of IBCC and I was wondering why they use your O-Levels grades along with the A-levels grades to determine the FSc equivalent marks? Why not use ONLY A-LEVELS GRADES to determine the FSc equivalent marks?

I did really bad on my O-Levels and I thought it wouldn't effect me that much if I improved on my A-Levels, which I did.

My O-levels equivalence to metric marks got me 600/900 marks and now in A-Levels I got 3 A*s which is 90% in A-Levels so I should get 990/1100 marks in FSc but because they include O-Levels grades in FSc equivalence, I end up getting 803/1100 marks!

This shows that they give almost 70% weightage to your O-Levels marks in your FSc equivalence which is a very poor indication of how you performed in your college years.

I'm guessing most people don't object to this because almost everyone gets better grades in O-levels than in A-levels so the formula benefits them but then people who improve, like me, get screwed!

If anyone knows why they do this and can give any proper reason to this method of equivalence, please respond!

Reaction score
How did you calculate? 803 Marks? I am getting them as 870 marks... 600 O levels + 3 A* A levels... After the conversion... According to last year's formula, I don't know if they have changed it for this year...

Reaction score
You're not suppose to add 270 to 600.
600/900 are the marks for metric.

The O-Levels raw mark is out of 800 so my marks are 533/800
533+270 = 803

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
How did you calculate? 803 Marks? I am getting them as 870 marks... 600 O levels + 3 A* A levels... After the conversion... According to last year's formula, I don't know if they have changed it for this year...
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb..

whats the formula..?

Reaction score
I recently looked at the A-levels equivalence formula of IBCC and I was wondering why they use your O-Levels grades along with the A-levels grades to determine the FSc equivalent marks? Why not use ONLY A-LEVELS GRADES to determine the FSc equivalent marks?

I did really bad on my O-Levels and I thought it wouldn't effect me that much if I improved on my A-Levels, which I did.

My O-levels equivalence to metric marks got me 600/900 marks and now in A-Levels I got 3 A*s which is 90% in A-Levels so I should get 990/1100 marks in FSc but because they include O-Levels grades in FSc equivalence, I end up getting 803/1100 marks!

This shows that they give almost 70% weightage to your O-Levels marks in your FSc equivalence which is a very poor indication of how you performed in your college years.

I'm guessing most people don't object to this because almost everyone gets better grades in O-levels than in A-levels so the formula benefits them but then people who improve, like me, get screwed!

If anyone knows why they do this and can give any proper reason to this method of equivalence, please respond!

And here I thought I was the only one who noticed this little 'loophole' in the conversion formula.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Your O Levels marks do count more than your A levels one. I guess the IBCC just couldn't figure out any other way to convert the grades of the 3 subjects of A Levels to the 7 subjects of FSc, unfair as that is.

But the entry test still remains the most deciding factor in your final score. And with your excellent A Level result, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting a good score in it. Just go over the FSC books and give the MCAT a shot. Unfortunately, we really can't do anything about the many problems afflicting our education system.

You can always apply to AMC, where FSC counts for only 20% of the total marks. And there's certainly no shortage of private medical colleges like CMH, FMH and Shifa etc.

Reaction score
You're not suppose to add 270 to 600.
600/900 are the marks for metric.

The O-Levels raw mark is out of 800 so my marks are 533/800
533+270 = 803

Whats the formula all about then? You got 533 according to the IBCC certificate or you calculated them yourself? I have friends who have got the IBCC certificates, I get those exact marks with the formula. Check the last two pages of this document : Equivalence

O level marks out of 900. Pre-Medical / Pre-Engineering out of 1100.

AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb..

whats the formula..?

Walikum Salaam!

Check the the above document.

Reaction score
And here I thought I was the only one who noticed this little 'loophole' in the conversion formula.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Your O Levels marks do count more than your A levels one. I guess the IBCC just couldn't figure out any other way to convert the marks of 3 subjects to the 7 subjects of FSc, unfair as that is.

But the entry test still remains the most deciding factor in your final score. And with your excellent A Level result, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting a good score in it. Just go over your FSC books and give the MCAT a shot. Unfortunately, we really can't do anything about the many problems afflicting our education system.

You can always apply to AMC, where FSC counts for only 20% of the total marks. And there's certainly no shortage of private medical colleges like CMH, FMH and Shifa etc.
I gave ETEA test and got 530 marks which is good enough to get me into a good medical university if I'm given 90% on my FSc. Unfortunately, that's not the case. With 803 marks in FSc, I can't even get into the worst university under KMU.

And you gave me exactly what I needed. I was actually trying to find out how much FSc is worth for AMC but can you tell me where you got this information?

I know I can apply to private colleges but before that, I also have a chance on foreign seats. However, that's not my concern. What pisses me off is that even after an amazing improvement, I'm given such low marks and I won't be able to get admitted on open merit. Had I intended to get into a private college or through foreign seat, I wouldn't have worked so hard to improve.

Reaction score
Whats the formula all about then? You got 533 according to the IBCC certificate or you calculated them yourself? I have friends who have got the IBCC certificates, I get those exact marks with the formula. Check the last two pages of this document : Equivalence

O level marks out of 900. Pre-Medical / Pre-Engineering out of 1100.
The O-Level marks are initially calculated out of 800 (raw mark), which in the example are 720/800. The metric marks are given out of 900 so the 720 becomes 810/900.

IBCC gave me 600/900 so that means I have 533/800 as my raw mark. If you look at the second page, they add 270 to 720 (they add 270 to the raw mark). The raw mark for me is 533 which when added to 270 becomes 803!

Reaction score
I gave ETEA test and got 530 marks which is good enough to get me into a good medical university if I'm given 90% on my FSc. Unfortunately, that's not the case. With 803 marks in FSc, I can't even get into the worst university under KMU.

And you gave me exactly what I needed. I was actually trying to find out how much FSc is worth for AMC but can you tell me where you got this information?

I know I can apply to private colleges but before that, I also have a chance on foreign seats. However, that's not my concern. What pisses me off is that even after an amazing improvement, I'm given such low marks and I won't be able to get admitted on open merit. Had I intended to get into a private college or through foreign seat, I wouldn't have worked so hard to improve.

Oh no, I'm really sorry. I mixed up the weightages for the Engineering and Medical UG programmes. The weightage for AMC (atleast applying for it through NUST) is as follows:

NUST Entrance Test 50%
FSc/A level/Equivalent 40%
Matriculation/O Level 10%

I'm really sorry for the misinformation.I hope it didn't cause any inconveniences. You can check the weightages out here.

And I totally sympathize with you. It must be extremely frustrating. Just another example of how messed up our education system is and how it desperately needs some serious reforming.

And I've just done the math... so if you can manage to get 1020 plus in the MCAT, you'll get an overall 83% which might land you in an Open Merit seat somewhere, especially for BDC. So don't lose hope. And don't regret working hard to improve. It will definitely benefit you in the long run!

If you've given the ETEA test then you must be from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I really don't know how that test works and what scores are considered good in it. So you got a 503 out of what, exactly?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
That totally is a foolishness, I'd say. I mean, getting a good A level result, and then that's not given a good value...My percentage drops..about 1% but yes..for medical, this 1% matters too...!

This thing is advantageous to those who got good O'level results but not that good results in A'levels...A friend of mine gets her % upgraded by 8% cuz of this...ofcourse this is good for her...

Reaction score
OMG! I never knew that they count your O Level/GCSE grades to make your equivalence certificate for A levels?
I got CDD in A levels and 75% in matric conversion how much will i get in A level Conversion?

Reaction score
That totally is a foolishness, I'd say. I mean, getting a good A level result, and then that's not given a good value...My percentage drops..about 1% but yes..for medical, this 1% matters too...!

This thing is advantageous to those who got good O'level results but not that good results in A'levels...A friend of mine gets her % upgraded by 8% cuz of this...ofcourse this is good for her...

Yes. So a good O Level result is really important in Pakistan. What's your overall percentage, if I may ask?

OMG! I never knew that they count your O Level/GCSE grades to make your equivalence certificate for A levels?
I got CDD in A levels and 75% in matric conversion how much will i get in A level Conversion?

You will get 785/1100 or 71.36%

Reaction score
Yes. So a good O Level result is really important in Pakistan. What's your overall percentage, if I may ask?

You will get 785/1100 or 71.36%
OMG! YOU SERIOUS? I HAD NOR FRIKKIN IDEA OF THIS I WAS EXPECTING 55% and went on to repeat The D's
That means i can ATLEAST GIVE A TRY bt applying on foreign seat for medical cx you need 60% (minimum) to even be eligible?
I had LOST hope Thankyou so much man! (y)

Reaction score
OMG! YOU SERIOUS? I HAD NOR FRIKKIN IDEA OF THIS I WAS EXPECTING 55% and went on to repeat The D's
That means i can ATLEAST GIVE A TRY bt applying on foreign seat for medical cx you need 60% (minimum) to even be eligible?
I had LOST hope Thankyou so much man! (y)

Ha ha. Glad I could help. Go here for UHS's eligibility criteria. You are going to give the MCAT from Punjab right? Other provinces probably have their own systems, I'm really not sure.

Please do check out the document 'Equivalence' I uploaded in my earlier post in this thread. That gives the conversion formula IBCC uses. That should clarify things for you.

Reaction score
Ha ha. Glad I could help. Go here for UHS's eligibility criteria. You are going to give the MCAT from Punjab right? Other provinces probably have their own systems, I'm really not sure.

Please do check out the document 'Equivalence' I uploaded in my earlier post in this thread. That gives the conversion formula IBCC uses. That should clarify things for you.
No I belong to KPK! I gave ETEA and got 312 :( BUT i know people who have failed the test and are in KHYBER MEDICAL COLLEGE on foreign seat!
So im guna try on foreign seat now *Finger's Crossed* :cool:
Man I'm loving you so bad right now Nobody told me about this conversion this im glad i did better in GCSE!
Btw GCSE/OLEVEL equivalent ryt?

Reaction score
No I belong to KPK! I gave ETEA and got 312 :( BUT i know people who have failed the test and are in KHYBER MEDICAL COLLEGE on foreign seat!
So im guna try on foreign seat now *Finger's Crossed* :cool:
Man I'm loving you so bad right now Nobody told me about this conversion this im glad i did better in GCSE!
Btw GCSE/OLEVEL equivalent ryt?

Oh, right. so you're a dual national then?

Yes, I believe the GCSE is equivalent to O Level. But you'll need to check that up with IBCC. It's probably mentioned in the document 'Convformula' , which I also uploaded in my previous post. Why don't you download both of those documents and read everything yourself? It's in post#6 of this thread.

Reaction score
yup dual!
And lol awww sure sure i was still in that 'excitement' Phase ;)
But again not to get to happy im only ELIGIBLE to apply In KMU for now :p