• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level. Way worse result than expected. What to do?

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I agree I gotta work hard but the thing is I really need those A*s since getting admission on the basis of merit is really tough and the competition is a lot. So all I wanna know is, if God forbid I get low A's, will I be able to convert them to A*s? Or is it nearly impossible? I'll be doing 4 subjects btw.
just confirm one thing bro... Will you apply abroad?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the merit information, it's useful. Yes you are right. A margin of 24 marks isn't worthy of retaking A level, spending time and money on it.
It's only my opinion, like i said, you have to decide, I would suggest that you give your all in MCAT. Prepare it extremely well and do not leave anything considering it won't come in the test. I remember last year's MCAT proved troublesome to many people (if I am not wrong) so yes. You're taking a risk and you have to be sure about it.
Best of luck! :)
I agree with him... If you are dead sure that u can cover up this margin then go for it... Else dont risk your precious years on the field you desire... God fobid(seriously I hope this never happens in your case), suppose if you didnt reach upto the level of MCAT required... You'll waste a year on improving your grade and then another year to retry MCAT... 2years will be wasted and God forbid... I hope this doesnt happen with you... Im just telling you to play safe because its a huge risk you're taking...!

Reaction score
I agree with him... If you are dead sure that u can cover up this margin then go for it... Else dont risk your precious years on the field you desire... God fobid(seriously I hope this never happens in your case), suppose if you didnt reach upto the level of MCAT required... You'll waste a year on improving your grade and then another year to retry MCAT... 2years will be wasted and God forbid... I hope this doesnt happen with you... Im just telling you to play safe because its a huge risk you're taking...!

Thank you for posting the merit information, it's useful. Yes you are right. A margin of 24 marks isn't worthy of retaking A level, spending time and money on it.
It's only my opinion, like i said, you have to decide, I would suggest that you give your all in MCAT. Prepare it extremely well and do not leave anything considering it won't come in the test. I remember last year's MCAT proved troublesome to many people (if I am not wrong) so yes. You're taking a risk and you have to be sure about it.
Best of luck! :)
I agree. Retaking A levels will also put me at risk as then i wont be able to give my ALL to MCAT.
I think Learning everything that is possible to come in the Entrance exams is the way to go. Perfect prep and an aim of a perfect paper inshallah.

Reaction score
I agree. Retaking A levels will also put me at risk as then i wont be able to give my ALL to MCAT.
I think Learning everything that is possible to come in the Entrance exams is the way to go. Perfect prep and an aim of a perfect paper inshallah.
Insha'Allah. Looks like you've made the decision. Best of luck! :)

Reaction score
Yes, I probably will. But I'm gonna try in medical universities of Pakistan too and I need A*s because the merit is high.
Converting low As to A* can only be done if the paper next year comes much tougher but u have to ace it(percentile mostly falls when majority finds the paper tough)... Yes they can be converted but if, like last year, the percentile rise( for maths last year it was an A* on 93%) there are still chances but you have to give flawless papers... Loosing more than 3-4 marks can change the story.... What I suggest is that you forgot about converting As into A* and do your MAXIMUM POSSIBLE effort...! U'll get mixtures of As and A*.... Remember one thing, try to aim above 75% in p4 of phys/chem/bio

A friend of mine with 2A*s and 3As went into Agha Khan Medical Univ... So mixture of As/A*s would do fine (y)

Reaction score
Converting low As to A* can only be done if the paper next year comes much tougher but u have to ace it(percentile mostly falls when majority finds the paper tough)... Yes they can be converted but if, like last year, the percentile rise( for maths last year it was an A* on 93%) there are still chances but you have to give flawless papers... Loosing more than 3-4 marks can change the story.... What I suggest is that you forgot about converting As into A* and do your MAXIMUM POSSIBLE effort...! U'll get mixtures of As and A*.... Remember one thing, try to aim above 75% in p4 of phys/chem/bio

A friend of mine with 2A*s and 3As went into Agha Khan Medical Univ... So mixture of As/A*s would do fine (y)

One of my friend with 3As in A levels and 4As 4A*s in o levels couldn't make into KEMU and RMC. Then he went to Shifa college islamabad.

Reaction score
One of my friend with 3As in A levels and 4As 4A*s in o levels couldn't make into KEMU and RMC. Then he went to Shifa college islamabad.
Because admission depends mostly on MCAT and less on A level+O level result.... :)

Reaction score
No it's not possible. It's quite hard to convert an AS B to an overall A with A2 so C is extremely hard. To convert an AS C to A, you would have to do like a somewhat perfect A2 otherwise the chances are extremely low.
well, that's pretty hopeless, but thank you
What about a B to A?

Reaction score

So I just received my AS component marks and I got 98/130 in Physics (A was 90+) and in Math I got 117/125 (A was 103+). I'm still waiting for bio & chem component marks. Do you think my math and phy marks are okay/high enough for an A*? Like can I pull it off if I study hard along with keeping 4 subjects?

Reaction score
So I just received my AS component marks and I got 98/130 in Physics (A was 90+) and in Math I got 117/125 (A was 103+). I'm still waiting for bio & chem component marks. Do you think my math and phy marks are okay/high enough for an A*? Like can I pull it off if I study hard along with keeping 4 subjects?
If you achieve same marks again in maths and physics, then your A* is confirmed... But next time try to get 120/125 in math to be on the safe side for A* more over getting 98/130 again will easily get you an A*

Reaction score
If you achieve same marks again in maths and physics, then your A* is confirmed... But next time try to get 120/125 in math to be on the safe side for A* more over getting 98/130 again will easily get you an A*
And what about 99/130 in Chemistry (A was 81+), and a 102/130 in Biology (A was 90+)?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Guess what. Everything IS possible...just do your best..and you'll get max you can! IA

Reaction score
HEY! How did u come to knw the marks for ur components. I mean dnt they just tell the grades of the components?

Reaction score
And what about 99/130 in Chemistry (A was 81+), and a 102/130 in Biology (A was 90+)?
Assuming that you are candidate who appeared for your CIE exams in Pakistan, I would really like to know how you managed to obtain your individual marks in each component for an exam you sat for. I believe we are given grades for components only (mine are due shortly). Thanks for reading this!

Reaction score
Assuming that you are candidate who appeared for your CIE exams in Pakistan, I would really like to know how you managed to obtain your individual marks in each component for an exam you sat for. I believe we are given grades for components only (mine are due shortly). Thanks for reading this!
That's not possible, Grey. CIE stopped issuing percentages back in 2010. Though CIE still publishes them in some regions of the world but not Asia atleast.

****CIE sends the individual grades to your Centre along with result but not the percentages. Just the grades.

Last edited:
Reaction score
HOW TO STUDY FOR ALEVEL BIOLOGY
bro Step number 1,a) first need to read your chapter in textbook .b) Get the speciication of syllabus which means respiration hes putting points or questions on what you must learn .c)You need to read each paragraph carefully and understand each and every single word for example Respiration lets say first paragraph is talking about the ATP so hes first tell you what is ATp and its strutures and its features as energy currency and its its role so then directly you go again to your specification and see the question examiner putting first point "you must learn ATP structure synthesis role as energy currency and uses " so you underline the answers as a reading text for answer of structure and all of that in text book .NOTE dont study it ujust read and understand it first and do the same till you finish chapter for process of aerobic and anaerobic and so on . Then Step number 2 a) go to all your past papers and pick each question related to respiration on your a document pdf . NOTE your going to make something in egypt we call it according to chapters for european i think you say Classified chapters. No matter of the names its just same idea. B)Then print it and solve it and here comes the most important function for example your going to copy from your text book what you highlighted when he ask you describe structure of ATP then check it using markscheme.The book might say its a nucleotide composed of adenosine and thre phosphate groups linked covalently but markscheme had better editing for scientific languge being used its a phosphorlytated nucleotide composed of adenosine that is nitrogen containg base adenine and ribose pentose sugar attached t carbon position number 1 to ribose and three polar charged hydrophilic p groups attached to carbon position number 5. Note markscheme is giving answers as a point so your job is to make it in a numbered sentence which i prefer as it easier for studying then link them when writing in the question . Then do that for every single question and make a document handwritten of few pages called a chapter wise questions or in egypt we call it stamps like 5 or might 12 pages edited of both textbook and mark scheme. Step number 3 is optional but i used to prefer it you can make a full handwritten notes for your chapter after you had edited both mark scheme and text book in order not to go through text book again . NOTE there might be important diagrams need to draw it in your notes and might be some information in your specification you higlighted but thers no question for it in your past papers. Step 4 you must solve your SAQ and ECQ but optional to get question for chapter from other boards as CIE OCR AQA WJEC BJEC but i prfer as the higher markscheme stamp questions the higher you can gain grade as in biology 75 % of question are repeated .I took mu alevel and i got high B in alevel biology cambridge cie but i used to make these rules in my studying that might take alot for each chapter but remember brother from your pain is your gain. Then indeed after making a textbook markscheme having all normal and tricky questions and beside it the according and question stamps study first your notes which having all these then you can read your classified and stamps but theres no need .Then after you finish all your chapters and prepared solve exams you made it as a classified as a separate exam in order to rememorise and manage time. Then go to the recent exams the last year you didnt make it as a classified and solve it as a full exam .