• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Islamic studies

Reaction score
Would you suggest Mutalizah, 4 shariah leaders or Sahih Sitta for paper 2, section B?

we didn't do mutazila as we didn't have time....but r sir taught us d other two things....but i prefer taking the question abt the 4 imams as i feel that's d simplest :)
n in section A Ummayyads :)

Reaction score
AppleCherries and Aqsa Mohd ....how was d ppr...?? :) which questions did u'll answer...??
in section A i took the 1st question abt the beliefs n practices
section B i chose the compilation
section C jumma prayers
Section D the 1st questin abt issues not being in d quran so what to do...
n d 5th one from section B abt ISA (a.s)

Reaction score
AppleCherries and Aqsa Mohd ....how was d ppr...?? :) which questions did u'll answer...??
in section A i took the 1st question abt the beliefs n practices
section B i chose the compilation
section C jumma prayers
Section D the 1st questin abt issues not being in d quran so what to do...
n d 5th one from section B abt ISA (a.s)

You mean prophet Ibrahim? And i attempted the same

Reaction score
we didn't do mutazila as we didn't have time....but r sir taught us d other two things....but i prefer taking the question abt the 4 imams as i feel that's d simplest :)
n in section A Ummayyads :)

Imam-ul-‘Azam Abu Hanifa (ra)
Views on Shari’ah
 Focussed on needs and circumstances around him
 Jurisprudence on measuring relative cases with equivalents in Qur’an and Sunnah to address the daily changes in life.
 Solutions in the Qur’an and sunnah, then the sayings of Ashab
 Then opinion on measuring new problems with relatively similar ones in Qur’an and sunnah, and then finding a solution by analogy
 Abu Hanifa wanted to make Islam fill the gap and go in parallel with daily needs of life
 Supposed future problems and found out relevant solutions – ‘hypothetical jurisprudence’
 Established the ‘freedom of thought’ principle. Not imposed his ideas on his students
 Wanted them to develop their own personalities
 Thus development of other sciences
 Qur’an
 Hadith of Holy Prophet (s.a.w)
 Hadith of Ashab (r.a)
 Ijma’
 Qiyas

Imam Malik (ra)
Views on Shari’ah
 Scrutinised all kinds of narrations, sermons of Holy Prophet (s.a.w), everything ...
 Compiled thousands of Hadith before his Al Muwatta
 Legal theories based on Hadith
 Fearlessly gave his Fatwa
 No Fatwa from a distance place
 No narration from the great scholars of Iraq
 Codification of Madinan Fiqh
 Madinan Fiqh based on the pious Tabi’in
 Anything taken as reported would be: considered, then interpreted, then accepted or rejected, or otherwise use reasoning and legal tradition of Madina
 Local Consensus of Opinion
 Wanted to revive the Sunnah of Holy Prophet (s.a.w)
 Spent his life in collecting Ahadith
 Choose authentic ones to include in his Al Muwatta
 Qur’an and Hadith of Holy Prophet (s.a.w) and Ashab
 Ijma’ of Madina only
 Qiyas

Imam Shafi’I
Views on Shari’ah
 Studied both the Hanafi and Maliki Thought
 Derived his thought in between them
 Experience through his intense debates
 Views from Imam Shaybani
 Rejected Theology (Kalam) and Theologians
 No assumption when we don’t have the knowledge
 Divided Bid’ah into Good and Bad
 Study of Hadith and Knowledge
 Qur’an
 Sunnah
 Ijma’
 Ijtihad through Qiyas

Imam Ahmad Bin Hambal (ra)
Views on Shari’ah
 Made a merger of the 3 Mathhab before him
 Based his opinion on Hadith
 Devoted life to Ahadith and Fiqh
 Refused Mu’tazilites doctrines
 No use of Kalam (Theology)
 Kalam is reprehensible
 Qur’an
 Sunnah
 Ijma’
 Qiyas

Is this enough or are we supposed to learn the biography as well?

Reaction score
Imam-ul-‘Azam Abu Hanifa (ra)
Views on Shari’ah
 Focussed on needs and circumstances around him
 Jurisprudence on measuring relative cases with equivalents in Qur’an and Sunnah to address the daily changes in life.
 Solutions in the Qur’an and sunnah, then the sayings of Ashab
 Then opinion on measuring new problems with relatively similar ones in Qur’an and sunnah, and then finding a solution by analogy
 Abu Hanifa wanted to make Islam fill the gap and go in parallel with daily needs of life
 Supposed future problems and found out relevant solutions – ‘hypothetical jurisprudence’
 Established the ‘freedom of thought’ principle. Not imposed his ideas on his students
 Wanted them to develop their own personalities
 Thus development of other sciences
 Qur’an
 Hadith of Holy Prophet (s.a.w)
 Hadith of Ashab (r.a)
 Ijma’
 Qiyas

Imam Malik (ra)
Views on Shari’ah
 Scrutinised all kinds of narrations, sermons of Holy Prophet (s.a.w), everything ...
 Compiled thousands of Hadith before his Al Muwatta
 Legal theories based on Hadith
 Fearlessly gave his Fatwa
 No Fatwa from a distance place
 No narration from the great scholars of Iraq
 Codification of Madinan Fiqh
 Madinan Fiqh based on the pious Tabi’in
 Anything taken as reported would be: considered, then interpreted, then accepted or rejected, or otherwise use reasoning and legal tradition of Madina
 Local Consensus of Opinion
 Wanted to revive the Sunnah of Holy Prophet (s.a.w)
 Spent his life in collecting Ahadith
 Choose authentic ones to include in his Al Muwatta
 Qur’an and Hadith of Holy Prophet (s.a.w) and Ashab
 Ijma’ of Madina only
 Qiyas

Imam Shafi’I
Views on Shari’ah
 Studied both the Hanafi and Maliki Thought
 Derived his thought in between them
 Experience through his intense debates
 Views from Imam Shaybani
 Rejected Theology (Kalam) and Theologians
 No assumption when we don’t have the knowledge
 Divided Bid’ah into Good and Bad
 Study of Hadith and Knowledge
 Qur’an
 Sunnah
 Ijma’
 Ijtihad through Qiyas

Imam Ahmad Bin Hambal (ra)
Views on Shari’ah
 Made a merger of the 3 Mathhab before him
 Based his opinion on Hadith
 Devoted life to Ahadith and Fiqh
 Refused Mu’tazilites doctrines
 No use of Kalam (Theology)
 Kalam is reprehensible
 Qur’an
 Sunnah
 Ijma’
 Qiyas

Is this enough or are we supposed to learn the biography as well?

i guess this is fine but crealy meantion how they differed in d sources of law....
for eg imam abu hanifa DID NOT PREFER (AppleCherries i just made a change here, don't say REJECTED) authentic sunnah which apparently contradicted the quran whereas imam shafi tried to bring a concilation between d two for eg the quran say that when d quran is being recited listen to it....but there is a hadith that tells there is no salah without surah fatiha....so the hanafiees when they pray in jama they don't recite surah fatiha as the imam is reading whereas the sahfaees do read it....

then abt imam malik he prefered the aml of ppl of madina unlike imam shafi who took any authentic ahadith n unlike imam abu hanifa who only too the MASHOOR hadiths....n imam ibn hanbal took the hadith that mentions d prophet...

there r many points so AAnsarii as u type fast plz sate some here so that she can read it....

hope u got my point :)
remember to show d differences between d imams n where they differed n what sources of law they prefered in order :)
if u want more lemme know or better AAnsarii will b able to type it out faster n in a better way inshaAllah :)

Reaction score
i guess this is fine but crealy meantion how they differed in d sources of law....
for eg imam abu hanifa rejected authentic sunnah which apparently contradicted the quran whereas imam shafi tried to bring a concilation between d two for eg the quran say that when d quran is being recited listen to it....but there is a hadith that tells there is no salah without surah fatiha....so the hanafiees when they pray in jama they don't recite surah fatiha as the imam is reading whereas the sahfaees do read it....

then abt imam malik he prefered the aml of ppl of madina unlike imam shafi who took any authentic ahadith n unlike imam abu hanifa who only too the MASHOOR hadiths....n imam ibn hanbal took the hadith that mentions d prophet...

there r many points so AAnsarii as u type fast plz sate some here so that she can read it....
remember to show d differences between d imams n where they differed n what sources of law they prefered in order :)
if u want more lemme know or better AAnsarii will b able to type it out faster n in a better way inshaAllah :)

For difference i thought id write this:
Examples of Difference among the 4 Mathhab
1. Nikah – According to the Hanafi, Maliki and Hambali it is obligatory – Wajib. But according to the Shafi’I it is superogetory – Mubah
2. Proposal on the proposal of a brother – According to the Hanafi, Maliki and Shafi’I it is a sin. But according to the Hambali it is not a sin.
3. Marriage with the people of the Book – According to the Hanafi it is unlawful to marry a woman of the Book if she is in a country known as Dar-ul Harb. She may return to her ancient religion. According to the Maliki, it depends to what extent the husband trusts the wife and the wife’s sincerity in Islam. According to the Shafi’I and the Hambali both of her parents must be from people of the Book.
4. Role of the Guardian in Nikah – According to the Hanafi and the Hambali the guardian is optional. According to the Maliki and the Shafi’I it is one of the essential elements of Nikah.
5. Talaq through duress or pressure – According to the Hanafi and the Hambali it is valid but according to the Maliki and the Shafi’I it is not valid.
6. Punishment for bestiality – According to the Maliki and the Hanafi there is no Hadd punishment but Ta’azir. But according to the Shafi’I and the Hambali, there is Hadd punishment. The animal must be killed and its flesh is unlawful.
7. Defamation – According to the Hanafi and the Maliki the person must receive 80 lashes. But according to the Shafi’I and the Hambali, the reason for his action must be known first before lashing him. Then Ta’azir must be applied by the judge.
8. Stealing of a brother’s or relative’s property or belonging – According to the Maliki, Shafi’I and the Hambali there is Hadd punishment (cutting of the hand) but according to the Hanafi there is no Hadd but Ta’azir punishment.
9. Alcoholic drink – According to the Hanafi, Maliki and the Hambali there are 80 lashes as punishment but according to the Shafi’I there are only 40 lashes.
10. Sunnah in Swalaat - The Shafi'is consider them to be eleven rak'ahs: two before the morning (subh) prayer, two before the noon (zuhr) prayer and two after it, two after the sunset (maghrib) prayer, two after the night ('isha') prayer and a single rak'ah called 'al-watirah'. The Hanbalis consider them to be ten rak'ah; two rak'ah before and after the noon prayer, two after the sunset and the night prayer, and two before the Morning Prayer. According to the Maliki’s there is no fixed number for the supererogatory (Nawafil) prayers performed with the obligatory salat, though it is best to offer four rak'ahs before the zuhr and six after the Maghrib prayer. The Hanafis classify the nawafil performed along with the fara'id into 'masnunah' and 'mandubah'.(1) The masnunah' are five: two rak'ahs before the subh; four before the zuhr, and two after it, except on Friday; two after the maghrib and two after the 'isha' prayer. The 'mandubah' are four: four -or two- rak'ahs before the 'asr, six after the Maghrib, and four before and after the 'isha' prayer.
11. Folding of hands in Swalaat – According to the Hanafi the hands are folded right over left below the navel, according to the Maliki they are on the sides of the body, according to the Shafi’I they are folded right over left above the navel below the chest and according to the Hambali they are folded right over left above the navel

Reaction score
for eg imam abu hanifa rejected authentic sunnah which apparently contradicted the quran whereas imam shafi tried to bring a concilation between d two for eg the quran say that when d quran is being recited listen to it....but there is a hadith that tells there is no salah without surah fatiha....so the hanafiees when they pray in jama they don't recite surah fatiha as the imam is reading whereas the sahfaees do read it....

if this isnt right, please do let me know, the exam is on thursday.. :(

Reaction score
For difference i thought id write this:
Examples of Difference among the 4 Mathhab
1. Nikah – According to the Hanafi, Maliki and Hambali it is obligatory – Wajib. But according to the Shafi’I it is superogetory – Mubah
2. Proposal on the proposal of a brother – According to the Hanafi, Maliki and Shafi’I it is a sin. But according to the Hambali it is not a sin.
3. Marriage with the people of the Book – According to the Hanafi it is unlawful to marry a woman of the Book if she is in a country known as Dar-ul Harb. She may return to her ancient religion. According to the Maliki, it depends to what extent the husband trusts the wife and the wife’s sincerity in Islam. According to the Shafi’I and the Hambali both of her parents must be from people of the Book.
4. Role of the Guardian in Nikah – According to the Hanafi and the Hambali the guardian is optional. According to the Maliki and the Shafi’I it is one of the essential elements of Nikah.
5. Talaq through duress or pressure – According to the Hanafi and the Hambali it is valid but according to the Maliki and the Shafi’I it is not valid.
6. Punishment for bestiality – According to the Maliki and the Hanafi there is no Hadd punishment but Ta’azir. But according to the Shafi’I and the Hambali, there is Hadd punishment. The animal must be killed and its flesh is unlawful.
7. Defamation – According to the Hanafi and the Maliki the person must receive 80 lashes. But according to the Shafi’I and the Hambali, the reason for his action must be known first before lashing him. Then Ta’azir must be applied by the judge.
8. Stealing of a brother’s or relative’s property or belonging – According to the Maliki, Shafi’I and the Hambali there is Hadd punishment (cutting of the hand) but according to the Hanafi there is no Hadd but Ta’azir punishment.
9. Alcoholic drink – According to the Hanafi, Maliki and the Hambali there are 80 lashes as punishment but according to the Shafi’I there are only 40 lashes.
10. Sunnah in Swalaat - The Shafi'is consider them to be eleven rak'ahs: two before the morning (subh) prayer, two before the noon (zuhr) prayer and two after it, two after the sunset (maghrib) prayer, two after the night ('isha') prayer and a single rak'ah called 'al-watirah'. The Hanbalis consider them to be ten rak'ah; two rak'ah before and after the noon prayer, two after the sunset and the night prayer, and two before the Morning Prayer. According to the Maliki’s there is no fixed number for the supererogatory (Nawafil) prayers performed with the obligatory salat, though it is best to offer four rak'ahs before the zuhr and six after the Maghrib prayer. The Hanafis classify the nawafil performed along with the fara'id into 'masnunah' and 'mandubah'.(1) The masnunah' are five: two rak'ahs before the subh; four before the zuhr, and two after it, except on Friday; two after the maghrib and two after the 'isha' prayer. The 'mandubah' are four: four -or two- rak'ahs before the 'asr, six after the Maghrib, and four before and after the 'isha' prayer.
11. Folding of hands in Swalaat – According to the Hanafi the hands are folded right over left below the navel, according to the Maliki they are on the sides of the body, according to the Shafi’I they are folded right over left above the navel below the chest and according to the Hambali they are folded right over left above the navel

ammmmm we havn't learnt these coz they basically wan answers about the differences in law like quran sunnah ijama qiyaas ijtihad etc......so idk if this is right or no....i just sopke to my frnd AAnsarii n told her to help u out as she is good at this alhamdulillah...she said she will inshaallah give u d points tomorrow for the related topic :) so don't worry inshaallah everything will b fine :)

also AngelicBeauty if u can help here plz do :)

Reaction score
ammmmm we havn't learnt these coz they basically wan answers about the differences in law like quran sunnah ijama qiyaas ijtihad etc......so idk if this is right or no....i just sopke to my frnd AAnsarii n told her to help u out as she is good at this alhamdulillah...she said she will inshaallah give u d points tomorrow for the related topic :) so don't worry inshaallah everything will b fine :)

also AngelicBeauty if u can help here plz do :)

JAZAKALLAH
also what if wrote the backstory of stoning in Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) question, how many marks will that cost me? :/

Reaction score
AppleCherries and Aqsa Mohd ..... i've attached the summary of certain topics....i found them really helpful...inshaallah u'll too will...it's short n concise... :)

AppleCherries the 4 Imams too r given so i told AAnsarii not to write down d points coz it's d same :)

Attachments

• Human relations non muslims.docx
    32 KB · Views: 20
  • Imaam in Shism.docx
    22 KB · Views: 22
  • Muslim n non-muslims.docx
    228.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Shiism Summary.docx
    18.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Summary 4 Imams.docx
    21.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Summary Muatzila.docx
    20.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Summary Personalities.docx
    27.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Summary Sufism.docx
    19.9 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score

Attachments

• Caliphs chronology.docx
    12.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Section A.docx
    17.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Abdul Malik ibn Marwan.docx
    34.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Marwan II.docx
    20.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Muawiya.docx
    45.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Umar II.docx
    35 KB · Views: 18
  • Umayad family tree.gif
    Umayad family tree.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Umayyad dynasty.docx
    571.1 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
can any one please tell me what is important and much enough for paper 2 ?? :( coz i havent studied much .please :'(

every thing is important but the most repeated questions are on :
sec A/)ummayyads
sec B/4 imaams
sec C/shiesm
sec D/women in islam

AAnsarii plz add on dis if something is missed.