• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level chemistry and bio revision for Oct/Nov 2015 session

Reaction score
How are you revising? Any tips to share regarding revision of chem and bio?
How much have you revised?
Which sources are using for revision?

Lets share tips and help each other to ace A-levels
I'm using these coursebooks and websites:
"A level chemistry by Peter and Cann Hughes" and "AS and A level chemistry by Roger Norris"
"A level Biology by Mary Jones" and "advanced Biology principles and applications by CJ Clegg, CG Mackean"

Websites: chemguideforcie.co.uk
s-cool.co.uk

Reaction score
I will be giving AS Bio in Oct/Nov.
What I am currently doing is studying the chapter < from the coursebook> and then solving as much P2 questions as possible and clear any doubts.

I'm a bit worried about P3,I don't know what to do for it! What are you doing about P3?
How much have you done?

For tips you can check this thread:
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/tips-to-get-a-in-alevels.19983/

One good tip a friend gave was study everything and don't be lazy! :p

Best of Luck for the exam! :)

Reaction score
I will be giving AS Bio in Oct/Nov.
What I am currently doing is studying the chapter < from the coursebook> and then solving as much P2 questions as possible and clear any doubts.

I'm a bit worried about P3,I don't know what to do for it! What are you doing about P3?
How much have you done?

For tips you can check this thread:
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/tips-to-get-a-in-alevels.19983/

One good tip a friend gave was study everything and don't be lazy! :p

Best of Luck for the exam! :)
Solve past papers for Paper 3..this is all I'm doing. I am taking whole A level exams for bio and chem this Oct/Nov. I've practiced some basics of paper 3 Bio. Also, in syllabus, the topics requiring practical assessment are mentioned. of course, we need to know all those things. Do u have the syllabus by the way. ?

Syllabus is more important than coursebook, because books mostly dont cover all the topics and sub topics.

Make sure you cover all the sub topics for every topic in syllabus. By the way, are u a school or private student?

Reaction score
Solve past papers for Paper 3..this is all I'm doing. I am taking whole A level exams for bio and chem this Oct/Nov. I've practiced some basics of paper 3 Bio. Also, in syllabus, the topics requiring practical assessment are mentioned. of course, we need to know all those things. Do u have the syllabus by the way. ?

Syllabus is more important than coursebook, because books mostly dont cover all the topics and sub topics.

Make sure you cover all the sub topics for every topic in syllabus. By the way, are u a school or private student?
Yes but how it is practical. I can only solve some questions fromit. Im a worried about EPG THING :( oh and pla diagrams!
Which years did you practice for paper 3? :) Yep Ive seen the syllabus,I have it downloaded.

Yes I noticed that,thats why it is annoying some books have some topics explained better than the other. :/
Can you help me with a question for AS Bio?

Reaction score
Yes but how it is practical. I can only solve some questions fromit. Im a worried about EPG THING :( oh and pla diagrams!
Which years did you practice for paper 3? :) Yep Ive seen the syllabus,I have it downloaded.

Yes I noticed that,thats why it is annoying some books have some topics explained better than the other. :/
Can you help me with a question for AS Bio?
are u a school student or private? from Pakistan? If you are a school student, your teacher may help u practice paper 3 in school lab. I'm private but I have my own science lab in my home..so its easy for me to practice practicals.

I've plan to practice as many as years as I can. Right now, I've done just 2-3 years but I'm doing more yet.

sorry ..whats this EPG?
Sure, I'll be glad to help u with the question.

For plan diagrams and more practical paper guide, I can help you with the following documents.

Attachments

• Biology_Practical guide.pdf
    810.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 150289-cambridge-learner-guide-for-as-and-a-level-biology.pdf
    422.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Advanced Biology Practical Skills.pdf
    538 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
yes thanks but I don't know .about paper 5 which I will take in this may june
paper 5 is not a practical paper but it is a type of 'alternative to practical' (like that in O'level). But we need to know practical skills to answer questions. All the questions will be on experiments : planning an experiment, designing an experiment, suggesting improvements, statistical calculations like standard deviation, chi-squared test, identifying variables etc... The document I shared above explains the skills we need to practice for Paper 5.
Moreover, past papers can give u the best idea how to solve this paper

Reaction score
are u a school student or private? from Pakistan? If you are a school student, your teacher may help u practice paper 3 in school lab. I'm private but I have my own science lab in my home..so its easy for me to practice practicals.

I've plan to practice as many as years as I can. Right now, I've done just 2-3 years but I'm doing more yet.

sorry ..whats this EPG?
Sure, I'll be glad to help u with the question.

For plan diagrams and more practical paper guide, I can help you with the following documents.
School :) Nope not from Pakistan.
Yes I have asked my teacher to do that....but I wont get alot of practice,I feel.
You have a science lab at home :D Nice!

Eye Piece Graticule

upload_2015-8-25_11-36-8-png.55897

Help me with this, please and thank you!

I already have these files but thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
School :) Nope not from Pakistan.
Yes I have asked my teacher to do that....but I wont get alot of practice,I feel.
You have a science lab at home :D Nice!

Eye Piece Graticule

upload_2015-8-25_11-36-8-png.55897

Help me with this, please and thank you!

I already have these files but thank you.
Blood cells originate from bone marrow cells known as stem cells, most of which are in red bone marrow. When a stem cell divides, it first becomes an immature red blood cell. The immature cell then divides, matures further and ultimately become a red blood cell.
Furthermore, blood cell production depends upon body's needs. Certain conditions can trigger addition production of red blood cells. When the oxygen content of the body tissues is low or the number of red blood cells decreases, the kidneys produce and release erythropoietin, a hormone that stimulates the red bone marrow to produce more red blood cells.

This is all I know, hope it helps.:)
By the way, the detail of the answer depends upon the marks.:cautious:

Reaction score
Blood cells originate from bone marrow cells known as stem cells, most of which are in red bone marrow. When a stem cell divides, it first becomes an immature red blood cell. The immature cell then divides, matures further and ultimately become a red blood cell.
Furthermore, blood cell production depends upon body's needs. Certain conditions can trigger addition production of red blood cells. When the oxygen content of the body tissues is low or the number of red blood cells decreases, the kidneys produce and release erythropoietin, a hormone that stimulates the red bone marrow to produce more red blood cells.

This is all I know, hope it helps.:)
By the way, the detail of the answer depends upon the marks.:cautious:
Ty :)
Yes I know it was for 3 marks,I think. :p

If possible can you please show some of the plan diagrams you did for paper 3.

Reaction score
Some rules to make plan diagram:
1. Drawing should be done with sharp HB pencil making clear "single" lines. Examiners do not give credit for sketchy lined drawings. Rubber can be used to correct errors.
2. Always draw what you see , not what you think, neither what u see from memory
3. Drawing must be large enough to show all the detail.
4. All parts of the drawing should b in correct proportion
5. No cells drawn in low power. Only tissues should be drawn in low power
6. No shading and no color

Attachments

• IMAG2140.jpg
    IMAG2140.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG2142.jpg
    IMAG2142.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
How are you revising? Any tips to share regarding revision of chem and bio?
How much have you revised?
Which sources are using for revision?

Lets share tips and help each other to ace A-levels
I'm using these coursebooks and websites:
"A level chemistry by Peter and Cann Hughes" and "AS and A level chemistry by Roger Norris"
"A level Biology by Mary Jones" and "advanced Biology principles and applications by CJ Clegg, CG Mackean"

Websites: chemguideforcie.co.uk
s-cool.co.uk

Hey r u doing a2 chem and phy?