• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can someone explain how to find the independent and dependent variable ? For paper5

Independant = variable that YOU are changing
Dependant = variable that changes as a result of what you changed

e.g. experiment on finding optimum temperature for an enzyme's rate of reaction
What are you changing? Temperature. So it's the independent variable.
When you change the temperature, the rate changes i.e. the time taken for the enzyme reaction changes. So the dependant variable is the time taken for the reaction to occur/rate.

Reaction score
Irfan1995
I have an 84 in AS bio
in p4 i wnt get less dan 85
How much do i av to get in p5??? to get an A*???
honestly speaking i never knew b4, there was a syllabus fr p5
i'm really bad at diagrams...

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb!
I wanted to know when is it appropriate to use the chi squared test, and when do we have to use the t-test?
If someone could please elaborate with examples?
JazakAllah khair :)

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb!
I wanted to know when is it appropriate to use the chi squared test, and when do we have to use the t-test?
If someone could please elaborate with examples?
JazakAllah khair :)

When you are dealing with only one set of date: use chi-squared test
When you're comparing between two sets of data: use the t-test

Also, according to what I know, the chi-squared test is used for discontinuous data while the t-test is used for continuous data.

Reaction score
Irfan1995
I have an 84 in AS bio
in p4 i wnt get less dan 85
How much do i av to get in p5??? to get an A*???
honestly speaking i never knew b4, there was a syllabus fr p5
i'm really bad at diagrams...

Using the Oct/Nov 2012 curve, to get an A*, you have to get 194/260
If you already got an 84 in AS, then you will need to get a total of 110/130 in your A2.
If you get an 85/100 in P4, then you must get 25/30 in P5 to score an A*
Good luck!

Reaction score

Also, according to what I know, the chi-squared test is used for discontinuous data while the t-test is used for continuous data.

qp: papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s10_qp_51.pdf
i wanted to know the answer to 1c(iii) and (iv) that if we are comparing two means like we are comparing two means of stomata number then we will use t test to compare the two means, so is the t test able to tell if difference between the two means is significant or not and rejects the null hypothesis?
and to state the null hypothesis do we always write that there is no difference in the two sets of data? just want to confirm

Reaction score
can anybody give an example of discontinous data and continous data where the chi squared test and t test is applied respectively?

Reaction score
how do we write in a sentence that for reliability we write that we are replicating the values at least 3 times and calculate mean. Can somebdy tell me the proper sentence we should use in all questions of outlining procedures that tells about this statement. Plzz help

Reaction score

Thank you.
But if you could just clarify,
For qn 2 of this paper, we have two sets of data here, and yet we are using the chi-squared test, why is that?
And besides, isn't light absorbance continuous rather than discrete?

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w09_qp_52.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w09_ms_52.pdf

Thank you, and sorry for the trouble.

Reaction score
Thank you.
For qn 2 of this paper, we have two sets of data here, and yet we are using the chi-squared test, why is that?

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w09_qp_52.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w09_ms_52.pdf

maybe becuase pollen collected from same plant not two different plants. and its discontinous because its collected after the day is over not continously during the day. So thats why maybe its discontinous data. I need confirmation though.

Reaction score
maybe becuase pollen collected from same plant not two different plants. and its discontinous because its collected after the day is over not continously during the day. So thats why maybe its discontinous data. I need confirmation though.

Thank you for that, and yeah i hope someone can clarify.

Reaction score
may 2010- Q2- x400 is a very low magnification. U cannot see organelles. Try using the formula magnification= size of drawing/actual size. U will know that its hard to view cells less than 1mm in size at this mag.
Q11- its not c or d as we dont know anything about the heat capacity. Even i have the confusion and my teachers werent able to answer ehy its a and not b. sorry!
Q30 - its not a as blood never flows back through valves. its not b as theres no relation with the thinning and valve. its not c as blood enters the atrium still. so its d and it makes more sense ;)
Q39 - nitrate turns in nitrogen gas only by denitrifyng bacteria. so it can be either b or c. Then NH4 turns into NO2 and NO3 by nitrifying bacteria so its c. nitrogen to NH4 is done by nitrogen fixing bacteria so it cannot be b.

May 2006 - Q12 - water moves in xylem by capillary action. the forces are transpiration pull, adhesive and cohesive forces. Cohesive force is force between water molecules. This helps rise water in a column.
Q13- temperature is rising from 37 to 80. It cannot be b or d because the concentration of products does not fall to zero. there wil be some products present. The answer is not c as wel because at 80 it wil denature so product concentration will be less and not maximum. so its A beacuse some products will form when temperature rises but when enzyme danatures no more products form and concentration remains the same and is constant.
Q22 - Its not A or B as both 14 and 15 should be present. The DNA replicates only one time. So it should have one parent strand of N15 and other strand is of N14. So it is C as it has both strands in one DNA. Its not D because D suggests that there are 2 DNA and 1 DNA has both N14 strands while the other 1 has N15 strands.
Q26 - Look in the book. Its just a diagram! Xylem has that structure and everyone knows xylem has vessels.
Oct 2006 - Q13 - its not D because it is affected. Its not a or b as the reaction does not decrease. its C. this is because increasing the concentration of substrate increases its chance to fit in enzyme so more products form and rate increases.
May 2005 - Q38 - from C and D it can be obtained. In B beans are used. They are leguminous plants so they have bacteria to produce NH4. But cereals and wheat dont so its A.

Reaction score
Thank you.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w09_qp_52.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w09_ms_52.pdf

Hmm, maybe my previous explanation was a too simplistic one.
With a chi-squared test, you have expected values and observed values. The value of chi-squared just tells you how much the observed values deviate from the expected ones. You don't actually have two sets of data. You have one set of data (the observed values), and you're comparing it to a standard (the expected values).

In a t-test, you have two different sets of data. Neither one of them is "correct" or can be used as a "standard". You just have two different sets of values and you're trying to see how significant is the difference between them.

As for light absorbance, it's definitely discrete. The explanation that follows might be a bit difficult to understand if you don't take Physics (more specifically, quantum physics):
Electrons can only move within certain 'energy shells'. If a photon (whose energy is equal to the difference in energies between two shells) is provided, then an electron will be promoted to the next shell by absorbing the photon. This photon has a specific frequency/wavelength. The electron does not absorb a range of frequencies, only specific ones. This is why the frequency of light absorbed is discrete.

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe my previous explanation was a too simplistic one.
With a chi-squared test, you have expected values and observed values. The value of chi-squared just tells you how much the observed values deviate from the expected ones. You don't actually have two sets of data. You have one set of data (the observed values), and you're comparing it to a standard (the expected values).

In a t-test, you have two different sets of data. Neither one of them is "correct" or can be used as a "standard". You just have two different sets of values and you're trying to see how significant is the difference between them.

As for light absorbance, it's definitely discrete. The explanation that follows might be a bit difficult to understand if you don't take Physics (more specifically, quantum physics):
Electrons can only move within certain 'energy shells'. If a photon (whose energy is equal to the difference in energies between two shells) is provided, then an electron will be promoted to the next shell by absorbing the photon. This photon has a specific frequency/wavelength. The electron does not absorb a range of frequencies, only specific ones. This is why the frequency of light absorbed is discrete.

Thank you so much bro!
That helped a lot.
And yes, i do take physics (just didn't relate the bio to physics :/ )
Thanx again and sorry for the trouble.

Reaction score
For question 2 b ii of this paper, why does the ms state that the answer only has to be to 2 decimal places. And the er goes on to state that the answer should have been to 3 significant figures rather than 4. Isn't 0.66 2 sgf or am i confusing stuff here? :unsure:

And for the same year, qn 3 b iii, how can we know that I (ma) is the smallest allele or the most negatively charged one? I mean we aren't provided with the direction of movement of the fragments.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w08_qp_5.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w08_ms_5.pdf

Thank you :)

Irfan1995 and anyone else taking p5