• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Yeah I managed to do it in 40 mins spent last 20 mins giving it another round. Focus very carefully on the paper don't let anything distract you. If your eyes tire out close them and press them with your thumbs to relax them a bit and get back to the paper. Read each question carefully and try your best to revise the question immediately when you do it so in case you manage to finish the paper slowly, at least you'll know that you revised each question as you did it the very first time. Use your pencil to make a blob near the questions you find difficult or want to think about in the end. Once done with your first run through the paper, quickly flip back to each blop and read that question again and revise it. Do it for all such marked questions. If time is left then look at the other questions again and read the 'question' part carefully as you might have missed something out.
Thank You very much Metallic9896, I will do it by Allah's will, I off to the examination hall, bye!

Reaction score
i have done this recently... you have to use the formula m=I/a (magnification= image size/actual size)

m=1500, image size of x-y = 3 cm acutal size: A=I/M = 3/1500= 0.002cm
so 1 cell is actually 0.002 cm long, how many cells will be 1 cm long? 1/0.002 (unitary method) = 500
Bro thanks.
Anyway did you also appeared 12 Biology this session ?
How was it?

Reaction score
How did it go man?

EDIT: Just saw your reply above. Awesome man really happy for ya! :D Hope you get an A* IA

You got anymore exams? BTW what does IA stand for? Anyway, I wish you all the best in your exams !

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're Muslim! MashAllah! Same as you do! I've got mathematics m1 after physics, BTW where're you from?

Reaction score
You're Muslim! MashAllah! Same as you do! I've got mathematics m1 after physics, BTW where're you from?

Haha yes I am! Oh wow, I said "No" to maths the day I finished my O Level in Math and got an A* lol. I'm from CIE timetable of Zone 4, variants 12, 22 etc. :p

Reaction score
HOW TO MAKE A PFRECT BIOLOGY NOTES FOR ALEVEL BIOLOGY
bro Step number 1,a) first need to read your chapter in textbook .b) Get the speciication of syllabus which means respiration hes putting points or questions on what you must learn .c)You need to read each paragraph carefully and understand each and every single word for example Respiration lets say first paragraph is talking about the ATP so hes first tell you what is ATp and its strutures and its features as energy currency and its its role so then directly you go again to your specification and see the question examiner putting first point "you must learn ATP structure synthesis role as energy currency and uses " so you underline the answers as a reading text for answer of structure and all of that in text book .NOTE dont study it ujust read and understand it first and do the same till you finish chapter for process of aerobic and anaerobic and so on . Then Step number 2 a) go to all your past papers and pick each question related to respiration on your a document pdf . NOTE your going to make something in egypt we call it according to chapters for european i think you say Classified chapters. No matter of the names its just same idea. B)Then print it and solve it and here comes the most important function for example your going to copy from your text book what you highlighted when he ask you describe structure of ATP then check it using markscheme.The book might say its a nucleotide composed of adenosine and thre phosphate groups linked covalently but markscheme had better editing for scientific languge being used its a phosphorlytated nucleotide composed of adenosine that is nitrogen containg base adenine and ribose pentose sugar attached t carbon position number 1 to ribose and three polar charged hydrophilic p groups attached to carbon position number 5. Note markscheme is giving answers as a point so your job is to make it in a numbered sentence which i prefer as it easier for studying then link them when writing in the question . Then do that for every single question and make a document handwritten of few pages called a chapter wise questions or in egypt we call it stamps like 5 or might 12 pages edited of both textbook and mark scheme. Step number 3 is optional but i used to prefer it you can make a full handwritten notes for your chapter after you had edited both mark scheme and text book in order not to go through text book again . NOTE there might be important diagrams need to draw it in your notes and might be some information in your specification you higlighted but thers no question for it in your past papers. Step 4 you must solve your SAQ and ECQ but optional to get question for chapter from other boards as CIE OCR AQA WJEC BJEC but i prfer as the higher markscheme stamp questions the higher you can gain grade as in biology 75 % of question are repeated .I took mu alevel and i got high B in alevel biology cambridge cie but i used to make these rules in my studying that might take alot for each chapter but remember brother from your pain is your gain. Then indeed after making a textbook markscheme having all normal and tricky questions and beside it the according and question stamps study first your notes which having all these then you can read your classified and stamps but theres no need

Reaction score
CIE BIOLOGY OCT/NOV 2006 PAPER 2 QUESTION 4A

Can anyone explain to me why the stage of cell shown in D isn't prophase ?
Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    168.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    267.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
CIE BIOLOGY OCT/NOV 2006 PAPER 2 QUESTION 4A

Can anyone explain to me why the stage of cell shown in D isn't prophase ?
Thanks in advance !

Ohh no it IS prophase. What they meant in the mark scheme is that the examiner is supposed to "ignore prophase at D", this means that they acknowledge that it is prophase, but they will ignore any mention of it in your answer because the quesiton is asking what happens to chromosomes BETWEEN stage D and stage E. So what they're asking is what happens AFTER D and leading up to E. At least this is what I understand, especially because it's a short 2 mark question, so they aren't interested in descriptions of prophase/stage D when the questions asks you about what happens BETWEEN stages D and E, which is precisely what the mark scheme mentions. Hope I helped.

Reaction score
24 In an animal cell, which process is dependent upon cell surface area and which process is
dependent upon cell volume?
cell surface area cell volume
A carbon dioxide produced oxygen used
B glucose absorbed hormones detected
C hormones detected carbon dioxide produced
D oxygen used glucose absorbed
Ans:C