• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Guys how do you solve the microscopy question in paper 12 O/N 2016 Question 4
And summer 2015 Paper 11 Question 3?
URGENT

Here you go for the 2016 one.

You can begin by looking at the thick line at the left and then the middle one. From the thick to the middle it's one stage micrometer division. Now see if it coincides perfectly with any line on the EPG. Luckily, both lines do. The first thick line coincides at the 10 EPG mark, and the middle line coincides with the 50 EPG mark. Thus, 50 - 10 = 40 EPG units are equal to 1 stage micrometer division, and 1 stage micrometer division is 0.1 mm, so 40 EPG units are equal to 0.1 mm. Thus, 0.1/40 = 1 EPG unit is 0.0025 mm.

Knowing that, the next step is finding the area. For the area you need the radius. You can't do that with a stage micrometer (or else we wouldn't have needed an EPG in the first place) because not only is it not precise enough due to being magnified so much, it's also not in the center, and the radius is always from the edge to the center. The EPG however is. So your next step is to get the radius in terms of EPG units. Rather than estimating radius, it's better to get diameter then divide it by 2. The diameter starts at 0 and if you look closely goes all the way to 100. You can't read "100" written but if you count from 95 upwards you'll see that it's exactly 5 more divisions, so this means that the diameter is perfectly equal to 100 EPG divisions. The radius then is 100/2 = 50 EPG divisions.

1 EPG division was 0.0025 mm, so 50 EPG divisions = 0.0025 x 50 = 0.125 mm = the radius of the field of view. Answers seem to be in micrometers so let's convert this to micrometers beforehand. 0.125 x 1000 = 125 micrometers. The radius is 125 micrometers. Now it's very easy. Area is pi tiimes r squared or pi times r times r. In the format of the answers they've given us, it should be pi x 125 x 125, which is option C.

Reaction score
Here you go for the 2016 one.

You can begin by looking at the thick line at the left and then the middle one. From the thick to the middle it's one stage micrometer division. Now see if it coincides perfectly with any line on the EPG. Luckily, both lines do. The first thick line coincides at the 10 EPG mark, and the middle line coincides with the 50 EPG mark. Thus, 50 - 10 = 40 EPG units are equal to 1 stage micrometer division, and 1 stage micrometer division is 0.1 mm, so 40 EPG units are equal to 0.1 mm. Thus, 0.1/40 = 1 EPG unit is 0.0025 mm.

Knowing that, the next step is finding the area. For the area you need the radius. You can't do that with a stage micrometer (or else we wouldn't have needed an EPG in the first place) because not only is it not precise enough due to being magnified so much, it's also not in the center, and the radius is always from the edge to the center. The EPG however is. So your next step is to get the radius in terms of EPG units. Rather than estimating radius, it's better to get diameter then divide it by 2. The diameter starts at 0 and if you look closely goes all the way to 100. You can't read "100" written but if you count from 95 upwards you'll see that it's exactly 5 more divisions, so this means that the diameter is perfectly equal to 100 EPG divisions. The radius then is 100/2 = 50 EPG divisions.

1 EPG division was 0.0025 mm, so 50 EPG divisions = 0.0025 x 50 = 0.125 mm = the radius of the field of view. Answers seem to be in micrometers so let's convert this to micrometers beforehand. 0.125 x 1000 = 125 micrometers. The radius is 125 micrometers. Now it's very easy. Area is pi tiimes r squared or pi times r times r. In the format of the answers they've given us, it should be pi x 125 x 125, which is option C.
GOD BLESS YOU!!! THANKYOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
View attachment 62469

If anyone is still awake, answer is C. That's a pretty basic answer but A and D sound reasonable too. There is something known as penicillin allergy and D is also true and a known phenomenon. So why are they rejected? I have a couple of possible arguments but would love to hear from anyone else first.
A is wrong as it talks about "animal antibiotics" not penicillin (Not a good explanation i know :p ). D sounds wrong as if the antibiotic kills gut bacteria (it does not say "only human gut"), it would not be used in animal feed in the first place.

Reaction score
Oh crap I posted something I shouldnt have posted. My bad. Deleted it immediately. sarmadimran bro refrain from discussing questions just right now lol.

Mstudent it was very ugly :( at least for me. Like i managed but too many similar looking answers. Read the questions VERY carefully.

Reaction score
Oh crap I posted something I shouldnt have posted. My bad. Deleted it immediately. sarmadimran bro refrain from discussing questions just right now lol.

Mstudent it was very ugly :( at least for me. Like i managed but too many similar looking answers. Read the questions VERY carefully.
yeah that was happening in many q's. Overall it didn't went that bad, considering i never get above 30-33 :p

Reaction score

I mean you guys have a different Variant so, I have no way of cheating! Anyway guys , pray for me, I've got it 6 hours later at 3:00pm !

Reaction score
I think this could help you, it about those heart problems

YES!! As darks said, blind mark! XD Thank you so much. It was a huge relief although I knew about it but still just recently seeing this diagram and then seeing an EXACT question about it was miraculous.

Reaction score
Could you guys tell me how you manage to get time to check your papers before submitting them?

Reaction score
Could you guys tell me how you manage to get time to check your papers before submitting them?

Yeah I managed to do it in 40 mins spent last 20 mins giving it another round. Focus very carefully on the paper don't let anything distract you. If your eyes tire out close them and press them with your thumbs to relax them a bit and get back to the paper. Read each question carefully and try your best to revise the question immediately when you do it so in case you manage to finish the paper slowly, at least you'll know that you revised each question as you did it the very first time. Use your pencil to make a blob near the questions you find difficult or want to think about in the end. Once done with your first run through the paper, quickly flip back to each blop and read that question again and revise it. Do it for all such marked questions. If time is left then look at the other questions again and read the 'question' part carefully as you might have missed something out.