• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
You guys have raised good points and I admit I have made a mistake.
If there is a greater concentration gradient, more energy will be required to maintain that concentration gradient. However, instead of affecting the rate of the transport, the channel proteins will expend more energy to maintain it (so that the rate of active transport remains constant). So assuming there is enough energy, the rate of active transport does not change if concentration gradient changes.
However:
  1. If energy is in limiting supply (eg. because there is limited amount of O2 or glucose so that there isn't enough ATP) then the rate of active transport will change based on the change in concentration gradient, because there isn't excess energy available to maintain a high gradient.
  2. If not ALL the channel proteins are involved in active transport (ie some are 'free') then increasing concentration gradient will increase rate of active transport until all the proteins are 'occupied', after which the rate remains constant. Have a look at this:
    flux-active-transport-versus-diffusion-graph.gif
Mediated transport here means active transport. 'Flux' is rate of transport. (Source)

When the solute concentration outside the cell increased, the diffusion rate increased linearly. Active transport rate also did increase. The reason it stopped increasing after a while is because all the membrane proteins were 'fully occupied'.

The reason I'm saying the above is just so if someone had similar confusions to me hopefully this will clear it up.

In our questions unless otherwise stated I believe we are to assume there is both enough energy and that all channel proteins are working so again you're right :)
Yeah...that really was a good explanation. A big round of applause !
congrats.gif
congrats.gif
congrats.gif
congrats.gif
congrats.gif

Reaction score
Discuss the effects that variations in carbon dioxide concentration and light intensity have on the rate of photosynthesis. [N’05]

1. carbon dioxide 0.03% ;

2. most likely limits / major limiting / implied low in atmosphere ;

3. increase in carbon dioxide concentration and increase in rate ;

4. during day when light and warm ;

5. ref. to variations in conc. e.g., within canopy / at soil surface ;

6. avp ;

7. light intensity

8. ref. to wavelengths of light ;

9. light saturated below full sun ;

10. idea of limiting and saturation, with other key factor limiting ;

11. light and stomatal aperture ;

12. and temperature of leaf ;

13. day length and season / morning and evening ;

14. high light and damage to pigments ;

15. ref. to light exciting electrons in chlorophyll ;

16. avp ;

help me tow rite anything for this
i cant write anything for MP 4 5 8 9 11 16
i will leave this q blank if it comes in exam

Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether we have to know about the various types of transpiration, e.g. stomatal and cutical transpiration
This is because it came out in 9700/21/O/N/12 but I've never come across it in any textbooks
Thanks

Reaction score
hello everyone. today is biology 33 practical. I hope someone could post the guess for this. thanks!

Reaction score
View attachment 60616
Can someone help? the answers are the ones underlined in red. I need a explaination
Q22:
the inhibitor is non-competetive. it binds to the any other point other than the active site of enzyme. the active site of the enzyme attaches with the substrate,then the inhibitor supplied attaches to the enzyme but at any point other than the active site .Hence Both Inhibitor and the Substrate can remain attached to the enzyme at the same time. So as the substrate is already attached there is no change in the shape of the active site . But due to the attachment of the inhibitor,it lowers the rate of forward reaction.

Reaction score
View attachment 60616
Can someone help? the answers are the ones underlined in red. I need a explaination
Q3:
The question asks for features that a prokaryote lost to become mitochondria. This means it must be present in prokaryotes but not mitochondria. The only obvious answer is cell wall. We know prokaryotes have cell walls but mitochondria do. Circular chromosomes? Prokaryotes don't have them. Same with endoplasmic reticulum. You can't lose something you never had in the first place. Ribosomes are present in both.

Reaction score
Q22:
the inhibitor is non-competetive. it binds to the any other point other than the active site of enzyme. the active site of the enzyme attaches with the substrate,then the inhibitor supplied attaches to the enzyme but at any point other than the active site .Hence Both Inhibitor and the Substrate can remain attached to the enzyme at the same time. So as the substrate is already attached there is no change in the shape of the active site . But due to the attachment of the inhibitor,it lowers the rate of forward reaction.
how can the intial rate reduce? if the active site doesnt change shape the initial activity of the enzyme in this case is not affected

Reaction score
Guys does anyone have the examiner report for O/N 2015? If yes can please someone send it? I really need it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thankk youu! Do you have them for Chem and Phy too?
Welcome.
Here you go:
Chem-https://sharepapers.com/resources/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20A-AS-Level/Chemistry%20(9701)/Winter/
Phys-https://sharepapers.com/resources/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20A-AS-Level/Physics%20(9702)/Winter/