• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Answer is D right?
It is a fixed expression that we use for net primary productivity.
NPP = GPP – respiration
Simple definitions..
NPP :Amount of energy made available by plants to animals, only at the herbivore level, and is expressed as kg/m2/yr.
GPP: The measure of all photosynthesis that occurs in an ecosystem.
So after reading the definition you know how you got the expression.
I hope that helps to make it clear.

Reaction score

27:
waterlogged soil -> lack of oxygen -> aerobic respiration decrease -> less ATP is synthesis -> less ions is actively transport into the the root hair cell -> root pressure decrease

30: D because the blood is moving from the left atrium(LA) to the right atrium(RA), the volume of blood of RA increase. Since pulmonary artery is connected to RA, so the blood pressure in pulmonary artery increase (more volume of blood in RA). On the other hand, LA has less volume of blood, so the blood pressure in aorta decrease. The blood originally from the LA is oxygenated blood. So the % oxygenation of blood in pulmonary artery will increase (as oxygenated blood flows from LA to RA to pulmonary artery)

Reaction score
27:
waterlogged soil -> lack of oxygen -> aerobic respiration decrease -> less ATP is synthesis -> less ions is actively transport into the the root hair cell -> root pressure decrease

30: D because the blood is moving from the left atrium(LA) to the right atrium(RA), the volume of blood of RA increase. Since pulmonary artery is connected to RA, so the blood pressure in pulmonary artery increase (more volume of blood in RA). On the other hand, LA has less volume of blood, so the blood pressure in aorta decrease. The blood originally from the LA is oxygenated blood. So the % oxygenation of blood in pulmonary artery will increase (as oxygenated blood flows from LA to RA to pulmonary artery)
Thanks

But for q30 whY can't we say that blood will move from RA to LA and every thing is the other way around?

Reaction score
9093 English AS
Any tips on how to write a commentary?
Like the layout and perhaps a list of features and effects to look for?
Can anyone provide me with sample commentaries if you have done in school? (preferably with marks)

Also tips on paper 1 and paper 2 as well to get an A
Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Help i dont understand how to do this question. The answer is A, this questiion is from june 2008
upload_2015-11-25_19-38-46.png

Reaction score
Help i dont understand how to do this question. The answer is A, this questiion is from june 2008
View attachment 57735

There are cohesion force between water molecules and adhesion force between the water molecules and the wall of the xylem vessel. During the day, the rate of transpiration is high, more water is evaporate from the moist mesophyll cell wall. This set up a great water potential gradient between the mesophyll cell and the xylem vessel, so more water is drawn up by transpiration pull. So the water is transport faster up to the leaf, the cohesive tension force will increase. Imagine you are sucking an empty plastic bottle. the diamter of the bottle will decrease if we suck more air out.

Hope you understand it > < some please correct me if I have any mistake

Reaction score
Hi, could someone direct me to pdf's for the new 2016 edition revision guides for Biology, Physics and Chemistry (A level please) ?:):)