• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Ty! I saw that question XD didnt try it yet.
That RBC and CO2 transport.I was talking about M/J 2013 question1 part c.

Carbon dioxide molecules are transported in the blood from body tissues to the lungs by one of three methods: (1) dissolution directly into the blood (5%), (2) binding to hemoglobin (10%), or (3) carried as a bicarbonate ion (85%).
First, carbon dioxide is more soluble in blood than is oxygen. Therefore carbon dioxide can be directly carried by blood.
Second, carbon dioxide can bind to plasma proteins or can enter red blood cells, bind to hemoglobin and form a molecule called carbaminohemoglobin is formed. Binding of carbon dioxide to hemoglobin is reversible. Therefore, when it reaches the lungs, the carbon dioxide can freely dissociate from the hemoglobin and be expelled from the body.
Third, the majority of carbon dioxide molecules are carried as part of the bicarbonate buffer system. In this system, carbon dioxide diffuses into the red blood cells. Carbonic anhydrase (CA) within the red blood cells quickly converts the carbon dioxide into carbonic acid (H2CO3). Carbonic acid is an unstable, intermediate molecule that immediately dissociates into bicarbonate ions (HCO3−) and hydrogen (H+) ions. Since carbon dioxide is quickly converted into bicarbonate ions, this reaction allows for the continued uptake of carbon dioxide into the blood, down its concentration gradient. It also results in the production of H+ ions. If too much H+ is produced, it can alter blood pH. However, hemoglobin binds to the free H+ ions, limiting shifts in pH. The newly-synthesized bicarbonate ion is transported out of the red blood cell into the liquid component of the blood in exchange for a chloride ion (Cl-); this is called the chloride shift. When the blood reaches the lungs, the bicarbonate ion is transported back into the red blood cell in exchange for the chloride ion. The H+ ion dissociates from the hemoglobin and binds to the bicarbonate ion.This produces the carbonic acid intermediate, which is converted back into carbon dioxide through the enzymatic action of CA. The carbon dioxide produced is expelled through lungs.

Now I have given a detail explanation of this.Still if you feel any problem in understanding do lemme know.:)
Youre making me feel guilty.....You didnt type ALL this did you? :( :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can somebody please help me with valves? I know that:
  • tricuspid has 3 valves and is on the right side
  • bicuspid has 2 valves and is on the left side
  • bicuspid is also called the mitral valve (is this true? Please confirm.)
So the tricuspid and bicuspid valves are ATRI-VENTRICULAR valves. What and where are the SEMILUNAR VALVES?? Please help !!

Reaction score
So the tricuspid and bicuspid valves are ATRI-VENTRICULAR valves. What and where are the SEMILUNAR VALVES?? Please help !!
yup that's true
they are Atrio ventricular valves .. Semi lunar valves are found in most veins and also within the aorta ( aortic valve) & pulmonary artery ( pulmonary valve)
aortic-valve-disease-1.jpg

Reaction score
I guess i have got it.Thanks for sharing the pic and one thing more, can you please help me with tidal calculations?
My sir told me that it's not in our syllabus now but there are some formulas you may know like
Minute Vol= Tidal Vol * no of Breaths per min ....
can you post the question I'll see where I can help :)

Reaction score
My sir told me that it's not in our syllabus now but there are some formulas you may know like
Minute Vol= Tidal Vol * no of Breaths per min ....
can you post the question I'll see where I can help :)
Are you sure ?
Then why they have given the questions in P1. I cant recall but there were some questions from this topic in 07 paper.
I'll post them tomorrow. :) Thankyou

Reaction score
Here this might also help
upload_2015-6-26_23-3-14.png
Btw its atrioventricular valve :)