• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The cell surface membranes of plants adapted to cold conditions change as the weather gets colder, allowing the plants to carry out exocytosis. Which change occurs?
A a decrease in the ratio of proteins to saturated phospholipids
B a decrease in the ratio of unsaturated phospholipids to saturated phospholipids
C an increase in the ratio of proteins to unsaturated phospholipids
D an increase in the ratio of unsaturated phospholipids to saturated phospholipids

Reaction score
View attachment 52537
shudnt the ans b C? y is it A?
No, A is the correct answer. In questions related to Inf diseases always think carefully, they are very tricky. Actually both are correct, but how is malaria transmitted in the first place(normally and directly), by the Female Anopheles Mosquito not by blood transfusions. Now, cholera is transmitted when some contaminated faeces :giggle::giggle: are in the water and you drink it, wash your food with it etc and therefore you literally ingest it :notworthy:

Reaction score
why cant base A and base G bond ?
whats the scientific reason ?
Yes there is, if you study the structure of both of them you will realize how and why they bond together by 2 Hydrogen bonds. Luckily that in depth info is not there in our specification.

Reaction score
why cant base A and base G bond ?
whats the scientific reason ?
Yes there is, if you study the structure of both of them you will realize how and why they bond together by 2 Hydrogen bonds. Luckily that in depth info is not there in our specification.
Briefly, Purines are large (2 rings) and Pyrimidines small (1 ring).
Between the two DNA strands, there's space for three only, so the only possible bonding is 1 Purine + 1 Pyrimidine.
So that's why Adenine and Guanine, which are both Purines, cannot bond together (Too large)
However, this still does not explain other combinations we could think of which cannot occur, like adenine (purine) and cytosine (pyrimidine). [These two never bond, though they have "three ring width" together]
To explain those, you'll have to study their structures like Mahmood said above.

Reaction score
It should be D, and I'm guessing people might've thought B.
Reason is, at B, the chromosomes split, but the centromeres never detached from the spindle fibre. After all, the spindle fibers have to be attached to the centromere for it to be able to pull them apart to opposite poles! Only at the end when they're done pulling them all the way can they let go.

Reaction score
I'm confused because it's supposed to be A!!
"Over half of all candidates realised that the presence of a nuclear membrane in eukaryotes and its
breakdown during mitosis would result in a slower division than in prokaryotes."
could it be related to the size ....i mean...more genes...so slower ...however, thats only possible in D
Mahmood Magdy do u have any ans?

Reaction score
could it be related to the size ....i mean...more genes...so slower ...however, thats only possible in D
What I mean is isn't the answer supposed to be A? You're saying it's either C or D??
D says bigger size but this probably means physical size, you're talking about size of genome...

Reaction score
What I mean is isn't the answer supposed to be A? You're saying it's either C or D??
D says bigger size but this probably means physical size, you're talking about size of genome...
i did A in the prev paper and the MS stated its D.

Reaction score
Not really sure but It can't be related to size of chromosomes etc because that takes place in during the S Phase not 'division'. I guess C is incorrect becuz centrioles speed up eukrayotic division coz of the movement of organelles etc, they are saying prokaroytes are faster, so it can't be a reason . But to why D is wrong, the only logical explanation would be becuz as the cells are smaller maybe everything will be relative, for ex small conc of enzymes etc.
But A is correct becuz the eukaryotes still have to break down the nuclear membrane whereas Prokaryotes can just replicate their DNA and divide directly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Answer is A I guess. Simply because carcinogens have to react with the DNA first and that causes mutation, therefore D is wrong. Now why B and C are wrong is because the accumulation of the mucus does not cause inflammation, but when bacteria get trapped in it and they start reproducing and producing toxins etc which then causes inflammation and attracts Phagocytes.

Reaction score
The Answer is A I guess. Simply because carcinogens have to react with the DNA first and that causes mutation, therefore D is wrong. Now why B and C are wrong is because the accumulation of the mucus does not cause inflammation, but when bacteria get trapped in it and they start reproducing and producing toxins etc which then causes inflammation and attracts Phagocytes.
Thanks bro :)