• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
why not A?
Simply, Amino acids are taken into the cell by symporters(co-transporters), which move Na+ or H+ ions into the cell in the thermodynamically downhill direction and cotransport amino acids with them, even though that is in the amino acids' uphill direction, not by endocytosis. Actually A represents exocytosis not endocytosis.

Reaction score
can someone explain to me this question Scribd q1 part b (ii)
P.S i didnt take chem AS
Well I'm not taking Chem but I found this way, it is the easiest according to me. So basically if you dissolve the Molar Mass in 1dm3 of water you get a 1 mol solution. The calculation is as follows in the image attached. So if the question asked for other values, you will just plug them in into the working etc :D

Attachments

• 201504231059.jpg
    201504231059.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Simply, Amino acids are taken into the cell by symporters(co-transporters), which move Na+ or H+ ions into the cell in the thermodynamically downhill direction and cotransport amino acids with them, even though that is in the amino acids' uphill direction, not by endocytosis. Actually A represents exocytosis not endocytosis.
But how are we supposed to know that :unsure: haven't we been taught about bulk transport of larger substances??
+ isn't it endocytosis o_O

Reaction score
The answer is B. Mitotic cell division does NOT allow a cell to get repaired, but rather a damaged TISSUE may be repaired, by replacement of damaged cells with new cells. A damaged cell cannot be repaired, it would just die or if it manages to divide and produce new cells then its gone as well. No cell is getting repaired, just old cells getting replaced by new ones. :)

Reaction score
I have a question, amongst these:
  • trachea
  • broncus
  • terminal bronchiole
  • respiratory bronchiole
  • alveolar duct
  • alveolus
which of these have elastic fibres? thanks

Reaction score
But how are we supposed to know that :unsure: haven't we been taught about bulk transport of larger substances??
+ isn't it endocytosis o_O
Actually you get to learn that in A2 syllabus. It is exocytosis, if you are going to consider Protein Synthesis. So after the whole process, the golgi apparatus starts pinching into shuttle vesicles that move on the cell surface membrane and fuse with and secrete the enzymes, proteins etc. So in this specific motion, those vesicles will be moving towards the CSM not the other way round. The question also mentioned 'concentrated', this probably means that when taking in large molecules, the conc is low and it starts building up at the RER... Besides, that co-transporter thing is sometimes known as Indirect Active transport. Moreover,after further research, Amino Acids are taken in by Endocytosis, Active transport(both forms), Facilitated diffusion. There isn't a specific way :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about tertiary structures of proteins. Their shapes are affected by:
  • hydrogen bonds
  • ionic bonds
  • disulphide bonds
  • hydrophobic interactions
between the different amino acids.

Somebody please explain which of these bonds are the strongest and which are the weak ones. (please order them from strongest to weakest)
Also, please explain, for each of them, how they can be broken? I mean which onees are broken by pH changes, which ones by temperature changes, etc.
Thank you!
Ok so the order is as follows :-
- Disulphide
- Ionic
- Hydrophobic Int
- Hydrogen

Broken by temperature :- Mostly hydrogen and hydrophobic
Broken by pH :- Hydrogen and Ionic

Disulphide are the strongest and they are covalent bonds. To break them, you have to add special reducing agents. Moreover, hydrogen are the weakest and literally anything could break them.