• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Okay Thank you
View attachment 51201
This figure right?
So I write that....
The protein are made in the RER and pinched out into vesicles then modified in the Golgi Apparatus.
The modified proteins from the Golgi Apparatus break away and fuse with the cell surface membrane and release the modified proteins.
Hmm Yes, that's correct. I would add a bit more at the "modified in the Golgi Apparatus" - like how it is modified within brackets....
Golgi1.jpg
I'm not saying you need to write everything.....i don't think that its needed but its always good to show that you know something beyond the basic explanation. Also mention exocytosis at the end but your answer is correct and will probably not any lose marks :) .

Reaction score
Hmm Yes, that's correct. I would add a bit more at the "modified in the Golgi Apparatus" - like how it is modified within brackets....
View attachment 51227
I'm not saying you need to write everything.....i don't think that its needed but its always good to show that you know something beyond the basic explanation. Also mention exocytosis at the end but your answer is correct and will probably not any lose marks :) .
Okay....so I could mention one of the details from that para and mention exocytosis.

Btw its for 3 marks only ....if I wrote this" The protein are made in the RER and pinched out into vesicles then modified in the Golgi Apparatus.
The modified proteins from the Golgi Apparatus break away and fuse with the cell surface membrane and release the modified proteins.
" How much do you say would I get ?

Where is that para from? Revision guide?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay....so I could mention one of the details from that para and mention exocytosis.

Btw its for 3 marks only ....if I wrote this" The protein are made in the RER and pinched out into vesicles then modified in the Golgi Apparatus.
" How much do you say would I get ?

Where is that para from? Revision guide?
Thanks

You'd probably get the fulls marks :) . I checked the marking scheme for this question, you don't need to explain what happens at the Golgi apparatus (the paragraph's from the new coursebook.).

Reaction score
I really want to know whats the most important thing in Bio AS level practical??
Simply, AS practical is all about SKILLS and CONFIDENCE, if you have both that is really good. You have to stick to your results, follow your specimens not the books... etc. In addition, you must know exactly how you will be tested, and therefore I would suggest that you personally check the syllabus and do it yourself, because you can't rely on anyone to do that for you. Goodluck! :D

Reaction score
Simply, AS practical is all about SKILLS and CONFIDENCE, if you have both that is really good. You have to stick to your results, follow your specimens not the books... etc. In addition, you must know exactly how you will be tested, and therefore I would suggest that you personally check the syllabus and do it yourself, because you can't rely on anyone to do that for you. Goodluck! :D

ok i got it! basically i wanted to ask like what's the foremost important thing in bio practical whether its the experiments related to food or magnification? well thanks anyways :) Good luck to u too...

Reaction score
ok i got it! basically i wanted to ask like what's the foremost important thing in bio practical whether its the experiments related to food or magnification? well thanks anyways :) Good luck to u too...
Oh, Well any AS Bio practical paper is divided into 2 questions, one of them will be an experiment(wet question) and one will be a microscope question. The marks will vary from each question to the other. But the worst part is that, no questions are repeated, maybe the concept will be but not the question and therefore you can't predict anything! :( However, I would suggest Every thing with Microscope, dilutions, food tests . I believe these are the most important. The sources of error and modifications will differ from experiment to the other, so it may help you if you have some general ways of improving any experiment etc. Hope to have helped you ;)

Reaction score
can anyone please help me with the following questions?
q 26, 32 and 34 in O/N 2002
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w02_qp_1.pdf
Hey bro :D
Q 26, Answer is A, It is not there in our syllabus anymore, that amount of detail. However, We need the greatest rise in cardiac output(volume of blood per unit time) and therefore the blood pressure in the aorta has to decrease and the concentration of CO2 has to increase. Think of it like a closed system, if blood pressure falls, you will have to increase it and if the CO2 conc increases we will have to decrease it. Moving on to the Vagus nerve, it is a part of the parasympathetic nervous system, ie It will decrease literally the effect of any organ, and therefore there has to be no change. :D :D
Q 32, Answer is A, a person with the most developed heart will have the lowest blood pulse rate when resting and will decrease as soon as the exercise is stopped.
Q34, Answer is C, Malaria, think of how every disease stated is transmitted directly, Cholera- contamination, SCA-genetic and HIV-placenta/Breast feeding, but for Malaria to be passed on directly, you will need the Female Anopheles Mosquito and temperatures above 20*C etc. Therefore Malaria will be the least likely. :D
Hope to have helped! :)

Reaction score
Hey bro :D
Q 26, Answer is A, It is not there in our syllabus anymore, that amount of detail. However, We need the greatest rise in cardiac output(volume of blood per unit time) and therefore the blood pressure in the aorta has to decrease and the concentration of CO2 has to increase. Think of it like a closed system, if blood pressure falls, you will have to increase it and if the CO2 conc increases we will have to decrease it. Moving on to the Vagus nerve, it is a part of the parasympathetic nervous system, ie It will decrease literally the effect of any organ, and therefore there has to be no change. :D :D
Q 32, Answer is A, a person with the most developed heart will have the lowest blood pulse rate when resting and will decrease as soon as the exercise is stopped.
Q34, Answer is C, Malaria, think of how every disease stated is transmitted directly, Cholera- contamination, SCA-genetic and HIV-placenta/Breast feeding, but for Malaria to be passed on directly, you will need the Female Anopheles Mosquito and temperatures above 20*C etc. Therefore Malaria will be the least likely. :D
Hope to have helped! :)
what about the vena cavae, should not a decrease in their blood pressure stimulate a rise in the cardiac output?
shouldn't a well developed heart muscle mean a high pulse rate, cz that would mean the heart is pumping efficiently?
plasmodium can be passed across the placenta (thats what my book says) so that should mean cholera is the least likely to be passed, of all the diseases that have been mentioned.

Reaction score
what about the vena cavae, should not a decrease in their blood pressure stimulate a rise in the cardiac output?
shouldn't a well developed heart muscle mean a high pulse rate, cz that would mean the heart is pumping efficiently?
plasmodium can be passed across the placenta (thats what my book says) so that should mean cholera is the least likely to be passed, of all the diseases that have been mentioned.
To answer your question about the vena cava, you can check this website http://www.cvphysiology.com/Blood Pressure/BP020.htm ,
About the heart, a well developed heart will pump a high volume of blood at a low rate, if it pumps too much then it is not efficient, high pulse rate is for obese people etc which means that there hearts are overworked.
Yes infact the malarial parasite can move through the placenta, but that is not the direct way of transmission. Actually all the answers are correct in terms of being passed to the child, but which one is the least likely to be passed directly ?? It has to be Malaria, it cant be Cholera, if the parents didnt wash their hands after taking a poop, the child will get Cholera.

Last edited: