• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A levels or Intermediate?

A levels or intermediate

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys
I want your opinion about a levels or intermediate.
Its really difficult for me to decide between them. I have done o levels recently.I am a medical student and want to become a Cardiologist. Which one is better for me as I fear all those equivalence stuff. And in fact I want to take admission in lumhs later on.
Plz do share ur views especially those who have gone through this all.
Thank you

Reaction score
It depends on many factors and the most important one would be your O Level result because your O Level grades would be converted to marks and added to your A Level marks to calculate your HSSC total. If you achieve really good grades (A*s and a couple of As), I'd say you're on the safe side.
Also, since you've done O Level, you must be more familiar with conceptual learning and not just rote memorizing which is the case in Intermediate. You would have to get used to the new system if you choose Intermediate however if you go with A Level it won't be completely different.
I feel like the equivalence deduction for O/A Level candidates is only a huge problem when it comes to applying for Punjab government medical colleges because the merit is increasing RAPIDLY every year. Thus, if none of those colleges are your main options, I don't think you'd have to worry so much about equivalency deduction. It is quite possible to secure a seat in private medical colleges by preparing well for their entrance tests/SAT II (e.g. CMH Lahore, DIMC Karachi, AKU Karachi, Shifa Islamabad).
At the end of the day, you're the one to choose. Decide by asking yourself which system are you more comfortable with. Do consider your O Level results before deciding as I said before and choose wisely. :)
Good luck.

Reaction score
It depends on many factors and the most important one would be your O Level result because your O Level grades would be converted to marks and added to your A Level marks to calculate your HSSC total. If you achieve really good grades (A*s and a couple of As), I'd say you're on the safe side.
Also, since you've done O Level, you must be more familiar with conceptual learning and not just rote memorizing which is the case in Intermediate. You would have to get used to the new system if you choose Intermediate however if you go with A Level it won't be completely different.
I feel like the equivalence deduction for O/A Level candidates is only a huge problem when it comes to applying for Punjab government medical colleges because the merit is increasing RAPIDLY every year. Thus, if none of those colleges are your main options, I don't think you'd have to worry so much about equivalency deduction. It is quite possible to secure a seat in private medical colleges by preparing well for their entrance tests/SAT II (e.g. CMH Lahore, DIMC Karachi, AKU Karachi, Shifa Islamabad).
At the end of the day, you're the one to choose. Decide by asking yourself which system are you more comfortable with. Do consider your O Level results before deciding as I said before and choose wisely. :)
Good luck.
It was really helpful thanks!