• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

bio mcqs..

Reaction score
What occurs in the sieve tube elements of a photosynthesising leaf and an actively growing root?
sieve tube elements in leaf sieve tube elements in root
A water potential decreases sugars are moved in
B water potential decreases sugars are moved out
C water potential increases sugars are moved in
D water potential increases sugars are moved out

y anser is B

Reaction score
well i think its B because i read this :

Phloem is a tissue comprising several different cell types, including parenchyma, sclerenchyma fibres,
and the phloem vessels, called sieve tubes, which are made of sieve-tube elements. Phloem carries sugars (and other photoassimilates) from sources where they are released (eg photosynthesising leaves where they are made,) to sinks
where they used (eg shaded leaves, storage organs like roots which store the sugars as starch).
This process is called translocation. It is now known that it is not just the sugars and other solutes that move through the phloem, but the water
moves with it - the whole phloem sap moves in bulk flow (mass flow or mass transport).

so it woulb be B as sugars are moved out aswell as water and the water potential will decrease. hope this helped!

Reaction score
Y its a..it doesnt makes any sense to me

Attachments

• HLJB.jpg
    HLJB.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
percentage transfer of energy means how much of the total energy contained in the "food" is transferred. we know the greatest energy loss occurs between the sun and the primary consumer, so the least percent of energy is transferred. and we know that the energy loss becomes progressively less down the food chain, so the percentage of energy transferred increases down the food chain. so what we're looking for is numbers in ascending order from W towards Z. that's option A. :)

Reaction score
@UAEgurl but since the root isn't a storage organ here, in fact it's actively growing, therefore using more sugars, shouldn't the sugars be moving in? i don't get why it should be B... i think it should be A :( help?

Reaction score
AMNA...sugars will be ov course moved out of sieve tube into the roots since...root is growing and needs sugar for respiration......bt i dont understand water potential part...isnt it that water enters in sieve tube near leaf and hydrostatic pressure is generated...so y water potential decreased

Reaction score
Amna said:
@UAEgurl but since the root isn't a storage organ here, in fact it's actively growing, therefore using more sugars, shouldn't the sugars be moving in? i don't get why it should be B... i think it should be A :( help?
it is A

Reaction score
What occurs in the sieve tube elements of a photosynthesising leaf and an actively growing root?
sieve tube elements in leaf sieve tube elements in root
A water potential decreases sugars are moved in
B water potential decreases sugars are moved out
C water potential increases sugars are moved in
D water potential increases sugars are moved out
y B?? Please explain SOMEBODY???

Reaction score
I think the answer is B because we're looking at the perspective of the sieve tube element here. Since the root is a sink, sugars will move out from the sieve tube into the root hair cells. And also during translocation, sugars made moves into the sieve tube elements which causes the water potential to decrease as there will be more solutes present in the sieve tube element.

Please correct me if im wrong :)

Reaction score
Can someone please explain this?
I'm confused between the last two options.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Why is option A incorrect? When they have specifically mentioned cell may be 'unable to produce' an enzyme..?
I understand that build up of lipids suggests that this is a hydrolytic enzyme and so lysosomes is the answer.
But I don't get why golgi apparatus is invalid?

Attachments

• IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Why is the answer to this C?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.29.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.29.07 PM.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 8