• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Edexcel AS or Edexcel IAL

Reaction score
I am Rucksikaa from Sri Lanka. I have completed my Edexcel IGCSE O/Ls and I am waiting for my results which will be released tomorrow and now I am confused whether to choose the Edexcel Advanced Subsidiary ot the Edexcel International Advanced Levels. What is the difference between Edexcel AS and Edexcel IAL? Can Sri Lankans offer the Edexcel AS? Already the 2015/2016 A/L batch has offered the Edexcel AS and their results have arrived but I am still confused about choosing the right one. I thought that the Edexcel AS was only meant for the UK, Isle of Man and other British Armed Forces schools overseas but could any other country which was actually meant to offer the Edexcel IAL, the international version of the Edexcel AS offer Edexcel AS instead of Edexcel IAL? Please clear my doubt anyone because my college will be commencing our new grade on the 1st of September,2016 and now I have to get prepared for it. Anyone please help me by clearing my doubt.

Reaction score
I just finished Edexcel IAL in 3 subjects and Edexcel GCE in Mathematics so this is what I can say :
Edexcel IAL is just same as the old version of A- level without any changes, jan sessions still there (october/november session have been added also ) and also june sessions.
Not all subjects in Edexcel GCE have changed their syllabuses yet, so if you are going to choose GCE see whether your subject syllabus has changed and whether the new reforms apply to it or are planned to be applied later, only june sessions are available for Edexcel GCE.
In Edexcel IAL your AS year will count towards your final grade, but in the reformed Edexcel GCE the AS year won't count towards the final result, you have to sit all the modules in one exam session (in your A2 year) and only those count towards the final grade, you can still get an AS certificate from first year, but it doesn't affect overall grade at the end of the course.
What I know is that Edexcel GCE can be taken both inside and outside the UK but Edexcel IAL can only be taken outside the UK.
Hope that's Helpful

Reaction score
I just finished Edexcel IAL in 3 subjects and Edexcel GCE in Mathematics so this is what I can say :
Edexcel IAL is just same as the old version of A- level without any changes, jan sessions still there (october/november session have been added also ) and also june sessions.
Not all subjects in Edexcel GCE have changed their syllabuses yet, so if you are going to choose GCE see whether your subject syllabus has changed and whether the new reforms apply to it or are planned to be applied later, only june sessions are available for Edexcel GCE.
In Edexcel IAL your AS year will count towards your final grade, but in the reformed Edexcel GCE the AS year won't count towards the final result, you have to sit all the modules in one exam session (in your A2 year) and only those count towards the final grade, you can still get an AS certificate from first year, but it doesn't affect overall grade at the end of the course.
What I know is that Edexcel GCE can be taken both inside and outside the UK but Edexcel IAL can only be taken outside the UK.
Hope that's Helpful
Thank you