• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
They have aforementioned that the inhibitors bind to the enzyme substrate complex. Such complexes are found only at the active site. Thus the inhibitor is a competitive inhibitor, and you can negate 2.
the answer is C

Reaction score
the answer is C
Ah well, the examiner report says this:

If the inhibitor binds to the enzyme/substrate complex, it will not alter the shape of the active site. Also, by binding to the enzyme/substrate complex, the maximum rate of reaction will not be increased.

Reaction score
Ah well, the examiner report says this:

If the inhibitor binds to the enzyme/substrate complex, it will not alter the shape of the active site. Also, by binding to the enzyme/substrate complex, the maximum rate of reaction will not be increased.
alright thank you :')

Reaction score
O
Let's consider DNA made of only N14 to have mass of 14 units and those made of N15 completely to have a mass of 15 units.

If DNA made of N14 atoms is placed in a solution containing N15 atoms only:

At first mass of all DNA molecules is 14 units.

After first division, mass of all DNA molecules is 14.5 units.

After second division, 50% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units, the other 50% have a mass of 15 units.

After third division, 25% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units., the other 75% have a mass of 15 units.

After fourth division, 12.5% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units., the other 87.5% have a mass of 15 units.

I could go on but I think you see a pattern. I love math so there:

After nth division, [ 200/(2^n) ]% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units, the other [ 100 - 200/(2^n) ]% have a mass of 15 units.
mg
Let's consider DNA made of only N14 to have mass of 14 units and those made of N15 completely to have a mass of 15 units.

If DNA made of N14 atoms is placed in a solution containing N15 atoms only:

At first mass of all DNA molecules is 14 units.

After first division, mass of all DNA molecules is 14.5 units.

After second division, 50% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units, the other 50% have a mass of 15 units.

After third division, 25% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units., the other 75% have a mass of 15 units.

After fourth division, 12.5% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units., the other 87.5% have a mass of 15 units.

I could go on but I think you see a pattern. I love math so there:

After nth division, [ 200/(2^n) ]% of DNA molecules have a mass of 14.5 units, the other [ 100 - 200/(2^n) ]% have a mass of 15 units.
Wow I actually do finally get it! I made my teacher explain this to me a million times but I finally got it today, thankss! :D

Reaction score
How does the female Anopheles carry Plasmodium from an infected person to an uninfected person?
Secondly when the questions asks how an immune response is generated do we just mention the B and T lymphocytes and clonal expansion etc or phagocytosis? I always get confused about the requirements in the immunity questions

Reaction score
How does the female Anopheles carry Plasmodium from an infected person to an uninfected person?
Secondly when the questions asks how an immune response is generated do we just mention the B and T lymphocytes and clonal expansion etc or phagocytosis? I always get confused about the requirements in the immunity questions
Immune response is to do with action of lymphocytes, not phagocytes

Reaction score
Immune response is to do with action of lymphocytes, not phagocytes
Lol I feel dumb but thanks and so basically we write the whole procedure with T-helper cells and B-lymphocytes and after the antibodies bind with the antigens, phagocytosis occurs and thats when the macrophages are mentioned?

Reaction score
Lol I feel dumb but thanks and so basically we write the whole procedure with T-helper cells and B-lymphocytes and after the antibodies bind with the antigens, phagocytosis occurs and thats when the macrophages are mentioned?
T-cells cannot be activated by direct contact with pathogens, rather an antigen presenting cell has to display it for the T-cells.
This could be from an infected cell, or a macrophage, so you could mention macrophage first. Just saying.
But yeah, you need to mention response by B-cells, secreting antibodies, and T-helper cells secreting cytokines and T-killer cell destroying our own cells using lethal weapons like hydrogen peroxide.

PS. weapon part was joke getting bored from studies these days... :)

Reaction score
why population of top consumer is smaller
Because very few energy on top carnivore trophic level.
Tell me if you have a pizza party with only 3 pizzas can you invite 100 people? No!
You can only invite around 6 I'd say what do you think.

Reaction score
Because very few energy on top carnivore trophic level.
Tell me if you have a pizza party with only 3 pizzas can you invite 100 people? No!
You can only invite around 6 I'd say what do you think.
so not enough energy to support a large population will be accepted as an answer?

Reaction score
you
so not enough energy to support a large population will be accepted as an answer?
You will have to explain why like, only 10 percent energy is available from one trophic level to another plus top carnivores are usually at 4 trophic level hence only 0.01 percentage of energy supplied to the ecosystem reaches them.Also as top carnivore are big in size their energy requirements are high too so only a small number of them are found

Reaction score
I don't get why are organisms getting bigger even though they do not have sufficient energy :p
you
You will have to explain why like, only 10 percent energy is available from one trophic level to another plus top carnivores are usually at 4 trophic level hence only 0.01 percentage of energy supplied to the ecosystem reaches them.Also as top carnivore are big in size their energy requirements are high too so only a small number of them are found

Reaction score
http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9700_w13_qp_2.pdf
Somebody please explain me Q6 b what do we have to write here
I just don't understand Marking scheme this time, but here it is

http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9700_w13_ms_2.pdf
In the Dna gene code the the base sequence is changed from CTT TO CAT adenine replaces thymine hence during transcription a different mRna is coded for when this mRna attaches to the subunit of ribosome die to the change I codon a different trna attaches due to specifity therefore different amino acid cones in the protein pri.ary sequence. As R groups are changed folding occurs differently. Due to chqngedionic and hydrogen bonding

Reaction score
In the Dna gene code the the base sequence is changed from CTT TO CAT adenine replaces thymine hence during transcription a different mRna is coded for when this mRna attaches to the subunit of ribosome die to the change I codon a different trna attaches due to specifity therefore different amino acid cones in the protein pri.ary sequence. As R groups are changed folding occurs differently. Due to chqngedionic and hydrogen bonding
I guess you read the wrong Que
It is the last question part b

Reaction score
That's question 5 b the member wants 6 part b.
Btw what is chqngedionic.