• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Admission in US

Reaction score
Hi. I'm from Pakistan.
I finished my A levels last year and I took a gap year. I've done a lot of different stuff during this gap year so that I get some experience before applying abroad. In my gap year, I've done an internship in a student-loaning organization, a marketing training in a pharmaceutical company and I've also volunteered at an NGO for health and education in the rural areas. I have also taken guitar lessons and have spent a lot of time playing Basketball & Soccer and I have become really good at it. As my gap year has almost come to an end, I'm about to apply abroad for my higher education. The problem is that I achieved very poor grades in my O level examination. Nothing more than a C. After getting such poor results, I promised myself that I will change and I did. I took Physics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, GP, Sociology, CS, ICT and English in my A levels. I got A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, CS, ICT and GP and got As in the rest. I also scored 2300/2400 in my SAT and got 32/36 in my ACT. I also took SAT Subject Test for Mathematics Level 1, English Literature and Physics. I score 770/800 in Math, 760/800 in English and 780/800 in Physics. These are great if you look at the average scores of these subjects. So with all these experiences, good High School (A Levels) record and good standardized tests scores, do you think I have a good chance of being accepted in universities like Harvard, UIC, NYU, Columbia, Princeton and Duke? I think so but I keep having doubts because of my poor O level grades. I would love to go abroad and attend schools like these. Harvard and UIC are my dream colleges.

Reaction score
To be honest, A level grades matter more than O level grades. I think unis will like the fact that you improved your grades so much after O levels. It shows dedication. You've got great SAT scores as well, and good extra-curricular activities. You have a decent chance of getting in, as long as you write a really, REALLY, good college essay (a well-written essay matters a lot!) Even if you can't get into Harvard/Princeton etc there are plenty of amazing universities in the US, you'll get in somewhere.

Reaction score
Just increase your co-curricular a little bit( some national or international events) and you might have a fair chance of getting in.

Also give SAT MATH LEVEL 2 as well. Level 1 is pretty much useless.

Reaction score
I got 3 A* and 3A in O level but I am gonna apply for Harvard this year and next year. I am kinda hopeful cause what i have learn, Harvard isn't grade oriented. They are talented oriented. My grades were earned without any Cambridge base as i studied in a Trust School and Without any teacher or tutor or school (completely self study). Plus I had to work to afford my studies too. So despite that the grades are just 6 a, they are heavy..

Moreover.

How to Get Into Harvard and the Ivy League, by a Harvard Alum:

All top schools like Harvard, UPenn, and Duke are nonprofits, which means unlike companies like Starbucks, they don’t exist to create profits for shareholders.

But they do something similar – they aim to create as much value as they can in the world. Value can come in a lot of forms. A common one you hear about often is research. Through research by faculty members, schools push the boundaries of human knowledge and contribute toward new inventions and theories that can dramatically improve human lives. If you’ve ever heard a news story that says, “A team at Stanford today reported that they found a new treatment for pancreatic cancer,” you can bet that Stanford's darn proud of that team.

Another one is through services. Universities often organize programs to consult with national governments or assist nonprofits. Another way of creating value is publishing books and disseminating research information. And the list goes on and on.

There’s another huge way schools create value – by educating its students, who then individually go on to do great things in the world.

Do you know where Bill Gates went to college? You likely know that it was Harvard (even though he dropped out). Don’t you think Harvard is thrilled to be associated with Bill Gates so publicly, and to be a part of his lore?

To get into a top school, you need to demonstrate the ability to succeed in the future by achieving great things now.

This idea might not be new to you. “Duh, Allen - of course Harvard wants to admit students who accomplish great things.”

But most likely you’re making a mistake in how you demonstrate that you’re world-class and capable of accomplishing great things. Most students tackle this in entirely the wrong way. They try to be “well-rounded,” thinking this is the best thing colleges want to see.

This is a big mistake

Here’s the problem – well-rounded students don’t do anything particularly well. They’re not team captain of a national-ranking soccer team, or the head of a new state-wide nonprofit, or concertmaster of a leading orchestra. This means NONE of what they do is TRULY impressive.

To put it bluntly, “well-rounded” means “mediocre at everything.” Jack of all trades, master of none.

Forget well-rounded. What you’re looking to develop is a huge spike.

body_spike.png

This is really important, and it's my biggest point in this entire guide.

That spike is what sets you apart from the other applicants. This spike goes AGAINST the spirit of simply being well-rounded. By nature of being unique, you don't fit in with all the other well-rounded applicants. You do something that truly stands out in a meaningful way.

This spike requires consistent effort, focus, discipline, and passion to grow. Ideally, this spike is what makes you world-class and makes colleges think you’re going to accomplish great things in your lifetime.

This spike comes in a lot of forms, depending on your field of interest. If you’re a scientist, it may mean doing compelling original research at your local college. If you’re a writer, it may mean publishing a book. If you’re an athlete, it may mean competing at the national level. If you’re a programmer, it may mean creating a successful app.

If you're a science whiz, you do NOT have to be an amazing writer. Heck, you don't even have to take AP English. MIT won't care that you didn't.

Well-rounded is boring. You have nothing special about you and nothing that sets you apart from other well-rounded people.

If you’re looking at a bargain bin of basketballs at Walmart, they’ll look identical. They’re all very round and seem to be equivalent to each other. Some might have slightly higher dimples than others. That's it.

body_basketballs.jpg

A bunch of well-rounded applicants, grouped together. How do you tell them apart?

This is what well-rounded does to you. You won’t stand out from other students. Everyone’s doing the same stuff as everyone else – taking a decent number of AP classes, doing a set of uninspiring extracurriculars like Key Club, volunteering at the hospital, etc.

And because of the vast numbers of well-rounded people out there who don’t have anything remarkably special, you have a tiny chance of getting in.

Here’s another painful fact about being well-rounded: the school doesn’t really care if YOU get in or not, compared to the next comparable applicant. This is what I mean by the “marginal acceptance.”

What does this mean for the rest of your application?

Aside from extracurriculars, you also have to worry about GPA, SAT/ACT, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

Your application’s job is to support the story around this spike. Every piece of your application should be consistent with this story.

This leads to my second biggest rule: you do not need a perfect application all around.

You should focus on your strength – your spike – even at the expense of other aspects of your application.

Are you a science geek? Then you need to show that you’re super strong in math and science, but it’s ok to be weaker in English.

Are you a writer? Show that you have great talent and achievement in your writing, but you don’t have to ace calculus.

Are you being recruited for a sport? Then you don’t need to be great at academics at all – just good enough to get through college. Focus the rest of the time on getting better at your sport.

Remember – no one cares that Tom Brady isn’t a mathematician, and no one cares that Mark Zuckerberg isn’t a gymnast.

Now, you can't totally fail in the rest of the application. There are some things you can never do, like show a serious ethical lapse or have a terrible personality. No amount of achievement will overcome the perception that you’re a huge jerk that no one likes to be around. (Remember, colleges want to admit students who will be positive additions to the community.)

You also need generally strong academics. Academics at top schools isn’t trivial, and colleges want to make sure you can survive comfortably without too much trouble. You usually can't apply successfully with a 20 ACT, unless you do something truly groundbreaking. (I talk more about academic requirements in the FAQ, so make sure you read to the end).

So you should look generally competent in the rest of your application, and you should take challenging classes in your area of interest. But overall colleges don’t care that much about things that aren’t your single strength. Once again, your ability in your passion contributes more to your success – not being well-rounded.

SO...
People who focus on something specific, especially something they’re passionate about, end up making the greatest impact. In turn, this means that focusing on something specific right now illustrates your potential for achieving even greater things later.

Reaction score
As a padel racket player interested in studying in the United States, there are several steps you can take to pursue admission to a U.S. university:

1. Research Universities and Programs: Begin by researching universities in the United States that offer the academic programs you are interested in. Look for universities with strong sports programs and facilities that may include padel courts or nearby facilities where you can continue playing.
  2. Check Admission Requirements: Review the admission requirements for each university and program you are considering. This typically includes academic qualifications, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), English language proficiency tests (like TOEFL or IELTS), letters of recommendation, and essays or personal statements.
  3. Contact University Sports Departments: Reach out to the sports departments of the universities you are interested in to inquire about their sports programs and opportunities for padel players. Some universities may have padel clubs or teams that you could join.
  4. Apply for Admission: Complete the application process for your chosen universities. Make sure to submit all the required documents, and pay close attention to deadlines.
  5. Scholarships and Financial Aid: Explore scholarship opportunities for international students and athletes. Some universities offer scholarships for outstanding athletes, which could include padel players with notable achievements.
  6. Obtain a Student Visa: Once you are accepted by a U.S. university, you will need to apply for a student visa (usually an F-1 visa) to study in the United States.
  7. Plan Your Arrival: Arrange housing and travel logistics before your departure to the U.S. to ensure a smooth transition.
  8. Balance Academics and Padel: While pursuing your studies in the U.S., it's essential to strike a balance between your academic responsibilities and your passion for padel. Many universities have sports facilities or nearby clubs where you can continue playing and engaging in your favorite sport.
Remember, studying in the United States is an exciting opportunity, but it requires careful planning and dedication. By researching universities, meeting admission requirements, and staying true to your passion for padel, you can work towards fulfilling your academic and sports goals in the U.S.