• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What kind of grades do you need to get into Harvard if you are an A level student?

Reaction score
Like what kind of extracurriculars, SAT scores I and I, AS A2 Scores, O Level scores etc? What do you need exactly to get here?

Reaction score
You need to have an almost perfect academic record, straight A's, great school transcripts, plus SATI>2200, plus SATII>2300. A few distinctions wouldn't be bad either. Oh and great teacher and counselor recommendations and active participation in extracurriculars.

But a lot of students meet the above criteria, so you need to have something that sets you apart. Like having participated (or better yet won) competitions at the national level.

And finally, you have to show intellectual maturity and depth of character through your essays.

If you have all that, then you definitely have a shot at Harvard.

Reaction score
Most important are the essays and the recommendations. Almost equally important is the SAT score. 2200+ in SATI 2400 in SATII.

Reaction score
^I disagree. Almost all applicants to Harvard have great SAT scores, essays and recs. If you want to be one of the 5% accepted, you need to have something special.

Reaction score
You didnt understand what i said. But would he get in with bad grade and bad score. NO.

Most of the people who I know got rejected from even average universities. due to bad recommendations and essays.
Most important are the essays and the recommendations. Almost equally important is the SAT score. 2200+ in SATI 2400 in SATII.​

If you have these then come other things.
Lack of Extra activities etc can be compromised. Same cant be said for score and most importantly essays. Unless ofcourse if you won international competitions.

Reaction score
Yes, good grades, SATs and essays are necessary conditions. But by no means are they sufficient conditions.

Btw, sometimes good essays can do wonders. My essays were the strongest point in my application, and I got into an Ivy! (No financial aid though.)

Reaction score
Yes, good grades, SATs and essays are necessary conditions. But by no means are they sufficient conditions.

Btw, sometimes good essays can do wonders. My essays were the strongest point in my application, and I got into an Ivy! (No financial aid though.)

Which ivy? And what are your ECs?

Reaction score

an Ivy? Wow! Which one? :D
Did you give A levels? If so, what were your grades?
Btw I'm thinking of applying in UT Austin, it's not quiet Harvard level but it's an amazing college! What grades in A levels would get me in? Oh and do O level grades count??

Reaction score
Guys Just forget about Harvard and Oxford seriously it's Impossible but with this exception

8 distinctions in O level :)
3 distinctions in A level :)
SAT I - 2400
SAT II - 2400

Reaction score
Guys Just forget about Harvard and Oxford seriously it's Impossible but with this exception

8 distinctions in O level :)
3 distinctions in A level :)
SAT I - 2400
SAT II - 2400

Common don't spread pessimisn here! Nothing of such sort is needed to get into harvard its not about grades but about being 'smart'. A question then naturally arises of what the word 'smart' defines. Well this is what i got off the internet:
smart (smärt)
adj. smart·er, smart·est
a. Characterized by sharp quick thought; bright. See Synonyms at intelligent.
b. Amusingly clever; witty: a smart quip; a lively, smart conversation.
c. Impertinent; insolent: That's enough of your smart talk.
2. Energetic or quick in movement: a smart pace.
3. Canny and shrewd in dealings with others: a smart negotiator.
4. Fashionable; elegant: a smart suit; a smart restaurant; the smart set. See Synonyms at fashionable.

but the problem is how do we express these qualities? The answer to which is very easy.... for a smart person ofcourse! ;)
In simple English to get into Harvard you need above average academic performance (extra-ordinary performance not necessary), above average ECAs and above average personality. A combination of all would definately get you into harvard but the problem is everyone has some areas where they are above average but not all. However, there is an alternative to this. i.e 'be unique (one and only) in any one field.
'Smart' then means (in harvard's context) either being unique or above - average in every field.

To answer OP well a person cannot really specify what grades one needs to get into harvard. Their have been people who got into harvard with 'literally poor grades' on the basis of their essays that reflected unique personality (this is not a hearsay). While on the other end their have been people with distinctions getting admissions.
My best guess is a person needs 7A*s 2As in O levels, 4A*s (or straight As in AS level), excellent community work (portraying somekind of initiative taken at an individual level) and excellent Extra-curriculars (for e.g captaincy of school team or winner of some gold medal at state or international level) and an average personal statement ( showing passion for degree applied for). A person with such credentials should secure an admission from harvard (assuming SATI and SAT II in three subjects score upward of 2300.

Reaction score
Most important are the essays and the recommendations. Almost equally important is the SAT score. 2200+ in SATI 2400 in SATII.
Thats not true. There lowest accepted SAT score is 2160. Its told in their website. The percentile of student with scores. Nd they want 2 not 3 subject test. BTW its the special part which really counts

Reaction score
If your are special you might not need 2200+ SAT score but what the probability of the OP being special?

We should always aim higher. People with scores lower than 2000 even get into MIT but that doesnot mean we should aim for 2000. We should atleast aim for 50th percentile. If not higher.

Reaction score
Common don't spread pessimisn here! Nothing of such sort is needed to get into harvard its not about grades but about being 'smart'. A question then naturally arises of what the word 'smart' defines. Well this is what i got off the internet:
smart (smärt)
adj. smart·er, smart·est
a. Characterized by sharp quick thought; bright. See Synonyms at intelligent.
b. Amusingly clever; witty: a smart quip; a lively, smart conversation.
c. Impertinent; insolent: That's enough of your smart talk.
2. Energetic or quick in movement: a smart pace.
3. Canny and shrewd in dealings with others: a smart negotiator.
4. Fashionable; elegant: a smart suit; a smart restaurant; the smart set. See Synonyms at fashionable.

but the problem is how do we express these qualities? The answer to which is very easy.... for a smart person ofcourse! ;)
In simple English to get into Harvard you need above average academic performance (extra-ordinary performance not necessary), above average ECAs and above average personality. A combination of all would definately get you into harvard but the problem is everyone has some areas where they are above average but not all. However, there is an alternative to this. i.e 'be unique (one and only) in any one field.
'Smart' then means (in harvard's context) either being unique or above - average in every field.

To answer OP well a person cannot really specify what grades one needs to get into harvard. Their have been people who got into harvard with 'literally poor grades' on the basis of their essays that reflected unique personality (this is not a hearsay). While on the other end their have been people with distinctions getting admissions.
My best guess is a person needs 7A*s 2As in O levels, 4A*s (or straight As in AS level), excellent community work (portraying somekind of initiative taken at an individual level) and excellent Extra-curriculars (for e.g captaincy of school team or winner of some gold medal at state or international level) and an average personal statement ( showing passion for degree applied for). A person with such credentials should secure an admission from harvard (assuming SATI and SAT II in three subjects score upward of 2300.

when you say 'poor grades', how poor are you implying? :p
as i said above, i'm not planning to apply for Harvard..too risky a shot for me!
but i do wan't to get into UT Austin..my O Levels were bad but i'm planning to make up for it in A Levels! and i'm very passionate about the course i'm planning to enroll in. Also, i'm in contact with a Professor at that university via e-mail. How much do you think all these facts count?

Reaction score
^Poor grades: <5As in Olevels and school transcript averaging <80% marks (from class 9 to 10). You say you are in contact with university professor, this will give you an advantage in admission process if the university professors are involved in admission decision making. However, in most universities professors (department heads) are only asked to evaluate those applicants who have passed the minimum cut-off rquirements. So, if you have the standard minimum requirements for admission this interaction with professor may make you stand out when final decsions are made (if that same professor is involved in decision making and IF he remembers you ! :p) .