• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Uncertainties and errors : PHys Unit 3B HELP !

Reaction score
hey people.. i need help right now >.<
am having big time with this unit 3B physics...
especially bout all this uncertainties and errors and all..

the big question is HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT ?????? :mad:

am trying and trying to figure it out.. about the percentage uncertainty and estimated uncertainty and all the rules.. plus i practiced a few questions and i got them ALL WRONG !! all of them !!:(

pleeez pleeeeeeeeez can anyone help me in this .. >.<'
thanks to anyone in advance.. i will really appreciate it..

Reaction score
i use this booklet now.... tho dere is a lot of stuff for A2 only... :)

Attachments

• 31414039-Physics-Guidance-notes-on-experimental-work-edexcel-new-spec-AS-A2.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 283
Reaction score
ok to make u guys understand.. here are some of the questions am having trouble with :-

1) In measuring the acceleration of a toy car, the speeds are measured to be (0,20+- 0.02)ms^-1 at time (25+-1)s , and (0.27+-0.02)ms^-1 at time (40+-1)s.
calculate the acceleration of the car, and give the uncertainty in your value.

2) the rate of discharge of a capacitor through a resistor can be used to measure the capacitor's capacitance C using the equation : V = V0e^(1/RC)
At time zero seconds, the voltage across the capacitor (V0) is measured to be (1.5+-0.1)V.
After (20+-1)s it is measured to be (0.8+-0.1)V. The resistor has a value of (4700+-500)ohms.
Using the numerical technique, calculate a value for the capacitance of the capacitor, and the uncertainty in your value.

3) The zero error on a micrometer screw gauge is recorded as +0.04mm. The reading on the gauge when it is placed around a ball bearing is 4.76mm. The micrometer can be read to +-0.005mm.

(a) what's the diameter ? What is its uncertainty ?
(b) what's its radius? its uncertainty ?
(c) calculate volume of the bearing and its uncertainty ?
(d) would it be more precise to measure the volume of the bearings like those above by using a micrometer, or by counting 50 and dropping them into a measuring cylinder of water? Explain.

ANSWERS:-
i do not have the answers for Q3.. but for Q1 & Q2 :-

Q1 : 0.0047ms^-2 ; 70%, or (0.0047+-0.0033)ms^-2 ... (since we are not told whether it is % or absolute uncertainty that is required).

Q2 : +-4.5x10^-3 F , or 2.4 x 10^-3 F .... (depending upon whether you choose greater over smaller, or smaller over greater .. log is not a linear relationship)..

Thanks in advance :)