• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P5- Paper trends!!

Reaction score
Experiments that have been asked to be designed so far:
  1. investigating the terminal velocity of a steel ball dropped in oil and it's relation to the radius
  2. determining the resistivity of glass
  3. determining the Young modulus of wood
  4. investigating the relation between the depth of a nail being hammered into wood and the speed with which it's hammered (jobless much?)
  5. determining the absorbtion coefficient of glass
  6. investigating the relation between the amplitude of a sound wave and the air pressure inside a double-glazed window
  7. investigating the relation between the resistance of an LDR with the distance from the light source
  8. investigating the relation the volume of air in a bottle and its resonant frequency
  9. investigating how the emf in a coil Y depends on the frequency of the current in coil X
  10. investigating the relation between the strength of the magnetic field and the radius of the coil, using a hall probe
I didn't go through all the variants so someone else can add to the list.

OMG.Why did i not see this before? :(

Okay so im gonna try and see what we can do to solve these,people please correct/add to this!!

1 - Measure time for each ball of different radius and put in some equation. (Which one??!)
2- R=(rho)L/A - Vary length of the glass.
3- Stress/strain. (I dont know how to go about this)
4- o_O
5- I have NO idea. What formula do we use?
6- Idk
7- Yes! this is fairly simple. R is inversely proportional to the intensity of light
8- Try different volumes,and the loudest heard sound will correspond to that particular volume ?
9- Vary current,see what effect that has on the emf.
10- No idea!! :/

Reaction score
OMG.Why did i not see this before? :(

Okay so im gonna try and see what we can do to solve these,people please correct/add to this!!

1 - Measure time for each ball of different radius and put in some equation. (Which one??!)
2- R=(rho)L/A - Vary length of the glass.
3- Stress/strain. (I dont know how to go about this)
4- o_O
5- I have NO idea. What formula do we use?
6- Idk
7- Yes! this is fairly simple. R is inversely proportional to the intensity of light
8- Try different volumes,and the loudest heard sound will correspond to that particular volume ?
9- Vary current,see what effect that has on the emf.
10- No idea!! :/
U tried Mark schemes? They are pretty much explicit

Reaction score
You always need both an independent and dependent variable. Use the equation, and re-arrange it to find what can be easily varied and measured.
Independent variable =IV
dependent variable =DV

1.IV = radius, DV= terminal velocity (use light gates to measure time taken to fall fixed distance to find terminal velocity)
2. IV = length or are, DV = resistance
3. IV = weight of the load, DV =extension produced. (other quantities kept constant)
4. IV= speed of nail(light gates connected to timer will measure time taken to fall fixed distance,and hence speed), DV =depth of nail into wood (use vernier)
5. you're given an equation for this. Re-arrange it to see what can be made the IV.
6. Use loudspeaker connected to a.f signal generator, microphone to C.R.O, and bottle to which vacuum pump and pressure gauge attached.
10. Most probably won't come out, came out last year's Nov session.