• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Paper 42 (13th May) - Full Solutions

How did you find this paper? Scale 1-5 (1 being easiest and 5 being hardest)

• 1 (Very Easy)

Votes: 30 4.8%
  • 2 (Easy)

Votes: 36 5.7%
  • 3 (Average)

Votes: 125 19.9%
  • 4 (Hard)

Votes: 169 26.9%
  • 5 (Very hard)

Votes: 268 42.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I did reflection on X=-1 instead of Y=-1 , i will lose all marks for that question ?
and in q9 part b, i calculate the speed of water same but with different working , still i can get full mark ?
i wrote some answers to 4 s.f for Example: 1743.8 not 1740, is it still right ?

Reaction score
24 hours have passed so here are full solutions to the 13th May IGCSE Maths Paper 42. These are my (IGCSE maths teacher) solutions and not the official solutions from CIE.

I’ll try to answer any questions regarding this paper but...

Since I don’t want to make any predictions that could be wrong, I will not answer any questions like, 'What will I need to get this grade?' or 'How hard/easy was the paper, what will the A boundary be?'.

I’ll only say that I thought it was a very hard paper, one of the hardest in recent years.

Here are the average total grade boundaries over the last 2 years:

A* : 174.7/200
A : 145.6/200
B : 114.8/200
C : 84.4/200

You can see my solutions to Paper 22 here.
are yo
24 hours have passed so here are full solutions to the 13th May IGCSE Maths Paper 42. These are my (IGCSE maths teacher) solutions and not the official solutions from CIE.

I’ll try to answer any questions regarding this paper but...

Since I don’t want to make any predictions that could be wrong, I will not answer any questions like, 'What will I need to get this grade?' or 'How hard/easy was the paper, what will the A boundary be?'.

I’ll only say that I thought it was a very hard paper, one of the hardest in recent years.

Here are the average total grade boundaries over the last 2 years:

A* : 174.7/200
A : 145.6/200
B : 114.8/200
C : 84.4/200

You can see my solutions to Paper 22 here.

Are you sure about these, total grade boundaries? Won't the threshold go more low, any chances? :S

Reaction score
Hello sir
I hope you are fine
For the question to find the area of the prism
I found the area of 4 rectangles correctly but I got the final ans 316
How many marks I will get
You'll get at least 1 and maybe 2 depending on your working.

Reaction score
sir ive written angle ATC is bisected by line BT....therefore angle ATB=angle CTB and also explained why others 2 adjacent sides are equal
will i get full marks for this
How do you know BT bisects ATC? This was not a theorem in your syllabus that you can quote without proof.

If you explained the other sides correctly, you'll get 1 maybe 2 marks.

Reaction score
Sir i used the correct formula for the radius question but added some something extra for the height so got a wrong answer so how much will i lose
and also for the arc length i calc. the arc length of the minor arc correctly without any mistakes so how much will i lose for these two questions.
I don't know which radius question you are talking about.

For arc length you will probably get 1 mark.

Reaction score
I did reflection on X=-1 instead of Y=-1 , i will lose all marks for that question ?
and in q9 part b, i calculate the speed of water same but with different working , still i can get full mark ?
i wrote some answers to 4 s.f for Example: 1743.8 not 1740, is it still right ?
You probably won't get any marks for the reflection.

I predict that 1743.8 won't lose any marks.= but i may be wrong.

Reaction score
I don't know which radius question you are talking about.

For arc length you will probably get 1 mark.

The Question About The Hexagon It's Last Question we had to find the radius that one. First i did it correct then i cut it and wrote the wrong answer