• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

My AS components grade...can i get A* now?? HELPP!!

Reaction score
AOA..i got to know my components grades in my As ...in chem and phy i got B A D in P1,P2 nd P3 respectively..but in both my overall grade is A... So i want to ask that is it possible for me now to get an A*???? Plz reply!!

Reaction score
How exactly is B,A,D = A ?

Anyway for what its worth you just need 80% ums in AS and 90% ums in A2 to get a*. Basically just get over 90 in ur a2 papers and ur good to go I guess.

Reaction score
i dont get it myself...i think p3 weight-age is very low...and p2 weightage ishigh...cause my friend got A,B,A..B in p2 and his overall grade is B...:S

Reaction score
AOA..i got to know my components grades in my As ...in chem and phy i got B A D in P1,P2 nd P3 respectively..but in both my overall grade is A... So i want to ask that is it possible for me now to get an A*???? Plz reply!!

You probably were just at the threshold for an A. I do not understand how the threshold for an A* is calculated but it is my understanding that for the overall grade it is the total points that is used for determining the final letter grade, meaning that a point is a point no matter where it came from. Given where you are starting from to get an overall grade of an A* you will have to do exceedingly well on the A2 component. You will have do much better than that simply needed to get an A* on A2 to compensate for what is probably a low A on the AS component.

The real issue here is whether by repeating the AS components you can get better scores. If you are confident that you could then you should but if not then go with what you have and hope that you are lucky again.

Reaction score
You probably were just at the threshold for an A. I do not understand how the threshold for an A* is calculated but it is my understanding that for the overall grade it is the total points that is used for determining the final letter grade, meaning that a point is a point no matter where it came from. Given where you are starting from to get an overall grade of an A* you will have to do exceedingly well on the A2 component. You will have do much better than that simply needed to get an A* on A2 to compensate for what is probably a low A on the AS component.

The real issue here is whether by repeating the AS components you can get better scores. If you are confident that you could then you should but if not then go with what you have and hope that you are lucky again.
thankx...but now i am not repeating my AS...

Reaction score
To be honest in the UK the general rules for an A* are A in all your papers and 90% in A2. CIE probably follows the same and its unlikely you will get above A even if the A2 ums is very high and by high I mean like 97+ which is quite hard to do anyway.

Reaction score
To be honest in the UK the general rules for an A* are A in all your papers and 90% in A2. CIE probably follows the same and its unlikely you will get above A even if the A2 ums is very high and by high I mean like 97+ which is quite hard to do anyway.
but still can i get just A overall Alevel??

Reaction score
But what I read over the internet in various forums was that the general rule in UK for getting an A* is to have +80% in your A-Level for the whole subject AND +90% in your A2...but that is not the CIE policy. CIE awards an A* if the candidate has gained tTHOSE ceratin marks needed for an A*, no matter what the component grades are....isnt that true?

Reaction score
But what I read over the internet in various forums was that the general rule in UK for getting an A* is to have +80% in your A-Level for the whole subject AND +90% in your A2...but that is not the CIE policy. CIE awards an A* if the candidate has gained tTHOSE ceratin marks needed for an A*, no matter what the component grades are....isnt that true?
True to some extent. Will give you an example - Total marks for economics papers is 70+40+30+30 = 170. GT however lists maximum marks as 200. In this case each paper has a weight of some sort and its calculated on the basis of 200 total marks. I hope you see my point that if one paper is very good and the other is quite bad the weights would not result in an a*. In any case you can probably get A* if your B in AS is like 79% or very near an A I suppose.

Oh and btw the UK also has the same system though its called grade boundaries there.

Reaction score
i got 82% in AS Chem. if iget a D in P5 component and manage to get an A/B in P4 component can i score more than 80% in A2 ??????

Plz REPLY ASAP

Reaction score
i got 82% in AS Chem. if iget a D in P5 component and manage to get an A/B in P4 component can i score more than 80% in A2 ??????

Plz REPLY ASAP

Reaction score
how did u get got to know your components grades for As, i want to know mine too, where did u ask, i mean i heard u get them easily in pakistan but what about outside pakistan like perhaps saudi arabia? do u know?

Reaction score
how did u get got to know your components grades for As, i want to know mine too, where did u ask, i mean i heard u get them easily in pakistan but what about outside pakistan like perhaps saudi arabia? do u know?
our school has them. I asked my branch head. Ask your school. I don`t know about private candidates.

Reaction score
ure in saudi too, cz i wanna know if its possible in saudi! im not a private candidate lekin does the head usually know, i mean seems ke the british council easily discloses such information!

Reaction score
Okay im bit confused here :S For the overall Alevel result cie combines both the AS and A2 right?If you give ur AS in june but you repeat your AS in november and do A2 the next june. Will cie combine the november or june AS for the overall Alevel results?

Reaction score
Okay im bit confused here :S For the overall Alevel result cie combines both the AS and A2 right?If you give ur AS in june but you repeat your AS in november and do A2 the next june. Will cie combine the november or june AS for the overall Alevel results?

CIE will combine the one which is higher.. for example, if the student gets an A for November and B for June, CIE will combine the November one.. heheh..

Reaction score
Can anyone help me??? i got 82% in AS Chem. if iget a B/C in P5 and A/B in P4 can i score more than 80% in A2????:(
And if ony the paper is easy, is it possible to get A* if i do well?
plz rply me asap..tnx in advance..