• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Are we allowed to use 'log' in Mathematics (0580) ?

lol

Reaction score
Im talking about CIE IGCSE Mathematice (0580) without Coursework, are we allowed to use log function where appropriate? its not in the syllabus so will we still get marks if we get the correct answer?

Reaction score
Yes, you Use LOG function. You need to use it some problems in Paper 2.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
51GjWGb6aHL.jpg

Assalamoalaikum wr wb!
So for this calculator, this is how you'll use the log function:

You have to find m.

2^m = 8

m = log 8 / log 2
= 3

that shows 2^3 = 8

similarly if it was 3^n = 27
then n = log 27/ log 3
= 3

Note: I don't think you're allowed to use this way for working out such questions. The method you're supposed to follow is to make the bases same, and then equate the powers. So what you do is, use this log function and find out 2 to the power of what is 8 (as in the first example..so u know it's 3

so proceed this way:

2^m = 8
2^m = 2^3
therefore m = 3

another example

2^m = 0.125

use log and you'll get -3

now how to show the working, here's how it goes:

2^m = 0.125 (write the decimal number as a fraction using ur calculator.)
2^m = 1/8
2^m = 1/ (2^3)
2^m = 2^-3
therefore m = -3

WARNING: Don't show this on your paper. Just use it to save your time searching and struggling for how to make the bases same.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
81IYFFZaMKL._AA1500_.jpg

Assalamoalaikum wr wb!
If you have this calculator, you may follow the method stated above, and alternatively you can use the other key on the top right below the 'ON' button.

2^m = 8
insert 8 in the bracket, and 2 in the small box, which is the subscript of log...

rest is the same as above.

WARNING: Don't show this on your paper. Just use it to save your time searching and struggling for how to make the bases same.

Reaction score
51GjWGb6aHL.jpg

Assalamoalaikum wr wb!
So for this calculator, this is how you'll use the log function:

You have to find m.

2^m = 8

m = log 8 / log 2
= 3

that shows 2^3 = 8

similarly if it was 3^n = 27
then n = log 27/ log 3
= 3

Note: I don't think you're allowed to use this way for working out such questions. The method you're supposed to follow is to make the bases same, and then equate the powers. So what you do is, use this log function and find out 2 to the power of what is 8 (as in the first example..so u know it's 3

so proceed this way:

2^m = 8
2^m = 2^3
therefore m = 3

another example

2^m = 0.125

use log and you'll get -3

now how to show the working, here's how it goes:

2^m = 0.125 (write the decimal number as a fraction using ur calculator.)
2^m = 1/8
2^m = 1/ (2^3)
2^m = 2^-3
therefore m = -3

can u plz post a link of past paper which consist of these questions the year and question Number??

Reaction score
oo for this i thougt for someothere sums these sums can be solved without log its easy but thanx v much:):D(y)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
oo for this i thougt for someothere sums these sums can be solved without log its easy but thanx v much:):D(y)
Yes, no doubt it's easy. But at times, you'd may be have to waste your time finding how to make bases same, etc. Just a backup..you know.. ;)

Reaction score
You only really need to use log in IGCSE to find answers to exponential algebra, but I don't think CIE will accept it as a valid working because it's beyond the course.
Just use it to check your answer and somehow say you wriggled your way to the answer in the workings.

Reaction score
using log is not in syllabus. and you need to show working step by step, like making the bases same and then equating exponents. if you just write the answer the examiner would guess that you maybe cheated or used some log so i dont think the marks will be awarded. it is written in instruction on the paper.

You will definitely get marks if you show you working even if you use log. using log is beyond the syllabus but not illegal. It is THE real way to solve variable exponent equations.

Reaction score
can some one tell me how to check quadratic equations using tis calculator
FX-82MS
plz